Tmobile in talks with MetroPCS about merger

ericdabbs

I just do not see this as being a good idea. different technologies, plus none of their customers are locked into a contract, so they could all leave after the deal goes through. Also I think US cellular would be a smarter deal. US has some 700, plus with verizon selling their lower A and B, Tmobile would be able to get a decent amount of 700mhz coverage.

Things are getting interesting indeed.

see this.. and comments

Blackstone??? And greater than 5%???

Blackstone is known to either come in and chop up a company for its assets, or in some cases (like Hilton), they come in on undervalued companies and sit on them a long time and play operator. Interesting. Could be very good or very bad.

For some reason, I think this has more to do with spectrum assets. And most likely Clearwire spectrum. But you can't really buy out Sprint without Sprint's permission or control of Sprint. Although they cannot take more than 20% control of Sprint...at least initially. My thoughts are extremely preliminary, but my head is reeling!!!

Robert

I haven't seen any revelations about the price that T-Mo will pay for MetroPCS, but the $8B that Sprint was going to pay seemed too high at the time. I hope Sprint puts that money toward the PCS H Block auction (whenever that is) and pushing forward NV instead.

Really, MetroPCS, Leap and USCC and a few others should merge and create a 5th national competitor. Maybe even get Sprint to host their spectrum.

As much as I like the idea of a 5th national competitor, I can't see that happening. Which company would come out as the parent company? MetroPCS? Also there are enough problems with bringing enough spectrum into the market and that a 5th carrier would make things worse. The FCC would have to ban Verizon and AT&T from participating in the next few spectrum auctions in order for Sprint, Tmobile and the Metro,Leap and USCC merger to catch up and obtain enough spectrum to be on par with Verizon and AT&T. I would like to see Tmobile and Sprint gobble up these smaller carriers to boost up their customer base and obtain some spectrum.

• Like 1

What do you guys think? Should Tmobile form the merger with MetroPCS and benefit both companies as well as the wireless industry OR should they remain separate? I have to think that the main motivation for Tmobile to merge with MetroPCS is for the AWS spectrum and a bump in customers since Tmobile has been bleeding badly. Just not sure how quickly Tmobile can move the MetroPCS customers off of CDMA and onto HSPA/LTE. Tmobile is in the process of doing their own Network Vision so it could get dicey.

Bad idea imo. I just do not see how they are going to be able to force those customers to switch to a HSPA/LTE device quickly. Their options would be slowly integrate( like sprint has done with nextel) and pay for two networks, or do it quickly and lose most of the customers.

eric,

I have always had this dream/idea that the smaller CDMA companies would be bought out by Sprint and become a formidable threat to both AT&T and Verizon, but as I look at the number of subscribers in my little dream spreadsheet, the total amount of subscribers still wouldn't be anywhere near AT&T or Verizon.

source: wikipedia

as for the question of should T-Mobile merge with MetroPCS, I wouldn't like it.

TS

eric,

I have always had this dream/idea that the smaller CDMA companies would be bought out by Sprint and become a formidable threat to both AT&T and Verizon, but as I look at the number of subscribers in my little dream spreadsheet, the total amount of subscribers still wouldn't be anywhere near AT&T or Verizon.

source: wikipedia

as for the question of should T-Mobile merge with MetroPCS, I wouldn't like it.

TS

Well I don't think anyone really thought that a purchase of MetroPCS, Leap or even both by Sprint would equate to the same amount of subscribers as Verizon or AT&T. The point is to be able to compete with Verizon and AT&T spectrum wise so that they can offer similar speeds as Verizon and AT&T. I think of the wireless industry as a zero sum game so if Sprint and Tmobile both posed a threat to Verizon and AT&T with speed and price, I could see customers fleeing Verizon and AT&T for Sprint and Tmobile thus increasing the customer base.

To be honest, I think if Verizon and AT&T both lost 20 million customers each and defected to Sprint and Tmobile, it wouldn't be so bad network wise. It would definitely help Sprint and Tmobile to get more revenue but it would tremendously relieve Verizon and AT&T's crowding LTE networks.

MetroPCS really has no future as an independent carrier.

It can't possibly compete with the new Boost/Virgin mobile 4G pre-paid offerings.

Its LTE and 3G footprint are extremely limited, is 1x over the majority of its territory and the devices it offers are terrible.

I don't see how this acquisition benefits T-Mobile at all.

With all the interest being taken in buyouts/merger/acquisitions, the good news here is that investors/experts are seeing the forthcoming value of the network modernization that both Sprint and Tmobile are planning.

As long as Deutche Telecom decides to keep TMO USA , there will be perpetual positive potential for Tmobile , whether acquiring large or small players, because of the parent company's deep pockets. Even if it became unprofitable, they wouldn't let their US experiment go bankrupt .

Sprint, on the other hand, has to tread lightly. While I reallllly would have liked to see them acquire MetroPCS if for no other reason the customer increase, MetroPCS's profit was smaller than usual this last quarter. I would think sprint has to tread carefully if they plan on acquiring any other companies who's operations are unprofitable or marginally profitable. Its also dangerous to add more debt, as that affects sprint's investors opinions. I believe they can dig themselves out of the hole, as long as the hole doesn't get too much deeper.

Could Sprint acquire Tmobile? I'm sure they could join forces... but where do we get the funds for consolidation of the networks? I guess they'd have to borrow it against tmobile and their combined assets. Its hard seeing the two of them having a future together without a sugar daddy.

And Blackstone? Hope not.

I always saw a natural fit between MetroPCS and Sprint.

Sprint could easily just throw them under their prepaid arm and just have MetroPCS/Virgin Mobile/Boost Mobile brands.

Sell the AWS spectrum to Cricket or AT&T.

Only problem was the price.

With Cricket signing a TD-LTE agreement with Clearwire, maybe we will see Cricket join forces with Sprint instead.

Metro goes to T-Mobile, Cricket goes to Sprint. Cricket sells T-Mobile it's AWS spectrum.

Either way, Sprint's prepaid arm is a machine. I can imagine Metro or Leap just fitting right into Sprint's well-oiled prepaid arm.

I would rather see four strong national competitors vs. 2 strong and 3 weak. T-Mobile getting Metro, Sprint getting Cricket, T-Mobile getting Metro and Cricket's spectrum, Sprint profiting off selling Cricket's spectrum to T-Mobile, everyone wins.

I always saw a natural fit between MetroPCS and Sprint.

Sprint could easily just throw them under their prepaid arm and just have MetroPCS/Virgin Mobile/Boost Mobile brands.

Sell the AWS spectrum to Cricket or AT&T.

Only problem was the price.

With Cricket signing a TD-LTE agreement with Clearwire, maybe we will see Cricket join forces with Sprint instead.

Metro goes to T-Mobile, Cricket goes to Sprint. Cricket sells T-Mobile it's AWS spectrum.

Either way, Sprint's prepaid arm is a machine. I can imagine Metro or Leap just fitting right into Sprint's well-oiled prepaid arm.

I would rather see four strong national competitors vs. 2 strong and 3 weak. T-Mobile getting Metro, Sprint getting Cricket, T-Mobile getting Metro and Cricket's spectrum, Sprint profiting off selling Cricket's spectrum to T-Mobile, everyone wins.

I like the suggestion except if Sprint were to acquire Cricket, I wouldn't sell the AWS spectrum ASAP. I would keep it and see if I could do AWS for PCS spectrum licenses swap in specific locations especially in big markets like SF and Chicago (20 MHz) or smaller markets that have less than 30 MHz. Sprint needs to acquire as much PCS spectrum as it can nationwide so it can deploy larger LTE channels in the future. The problem with just getting cash is that the areas that you need more spectrum help in are not guaranteed in an spectrum auction vs. spectrum swap which the other party owns those specific spectrum licenses.

I know Tmobile and Cricket did a spectrum licenses swap earlier this year as well as other deals in the past that could make it work. The FCC should be factoring in which carriers could make best use of the spectrum and in Sprint's case the FCC should allow any PCS spectrum transfer.

I like the suggestion except if Sprint were to acquire Cricket, I wouldn't sell the AWS spectrum ASAP. I would keep it and see if I could do AWS for PCS spectrum licenses swap in specific locations especially in big markets like SF and Chicago (20 MHz) or smaller markets that have less than 30 MHz. Sprint needs to acquire as much PCS spectrum as it can nationwide so it can deploy larger LTE channels in the future. The problem with just getting cash is that the areas that you need more spectrum help in are not guaranteed in an spectrum auction vs. spectrum swap which the other party owns those specific spectrum licenses.

I know Tmobile and Cricket did a spectrum licenses swap earlier this year as well as other deals in the past that could make it work. The FCC should be factoring in which carriers could make best use of the spectrum and in Sprint's case the FCC should allow any PCS spectrum transfer.

I think sprint should save their $ ammo to bid on the nationwide PCS H block coming up for auction soon to complement their G block. In urban markets where they are spectrum constrained, use clearwire to offload.

• Like 4

I think sprint should save their $ ammo to bid on the nationwide PCS H block coming up for auction soon to complement their G block. In urban markets where they are spectrum constrained, use clearwire to offload.

I agree IF Sprint can bid on every single PCS H block license that would be very good but I think that is going to be hard since I am sure it will be subdivided like the G block. Honestly the FCC should consider the fact that Sprint owns the PCS G block and that AT&T, Verizon, Tmobile and the smaller regional carriers are focused on obtaining AWS spectrum. They should give Sprint preference for bidding the H block since it would avoid interference issues. The FCC needs to do a better job of not just dicing up the spectrum blocks into 5 and 10 MHz chunks instead of 12 MHz and 7 MHz chunks but also they need to be considering what majority of spectrum bands holdings each carrier has to see what additional spectrum would help them most. Sprint has at least 90% of its spectrum holdings in the PCS band so additional PCS spectrum will help them most.

I hope that the FCC will give them preference for bidding on the H-block, and they may just do that. In fact, they should just give it to Sprint and not even auction it off.

I hope that the FCC will give them preference for bidding on the H-block, and they may just do that. In fact, they should just give it to Sprint and not even auction it off.

Josh, hush! AT&T might hear you say that. And my ears cannot stand anymore bitching and moaning from Ma Bell.

AJ

• Like 2

Josh, hush! AT&T might hear you say that. And my ears cannot stand anymore bitching and moaning from Ma Bell.

AJ

Then I hope the FCC comes in and shuts Ma Bell down and splits them up again! :P

Cricket with att for some reason I can't see that merger working I mean they are 2 diff types of companies idk

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

at&t acquired Alltel assets from Verizon. 2 different networks there too.

at&t then immediately shut off all towers and immediately replaced them with HSDPA 3G.