Sierra wireless tri-fi hotspot available May 18th

ericdabbs

So I guess the Sierra wireless tri-fi hotspot is going to be released on May 18th for $99.99 which is also the same day as the HTC EVO 4G LTE release.

Robert's internal documents did state that May 18th was the predicted release date and I am glad it did stick with that same date. Once again S4GRU.com is the best source for Network Vision and handset news.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=2270

• Like 3

We initially reported May 18th for this device back on March 20th. I'm glad the schedule held. Our info comes directly from behind the walls in Overland Park. So anytime our reporting deviates from the final outcome, its because Sprint had to change it for some reason. And that is the reason why Sprint does not report these dates in advance. They are so fluid.

Robert - Posted from my E4GT with ICS using Forum Runner

As I told Robert yesterday, the Sierra Wireless CDMA1X/EV-DO/WiMAX/LTE hotspot can really radiate some RF. Max ERP on LTE 1900 is 32 dBm and on WiMAX 2600 is 28 dBm. For reference, that is 16x the power output of the EVO 4G LTE and 4x the power output of the EVO 4G, respectively.

AJ

• Like 2

As I told Robert yesterday, the Sierra Wireless CDMA1X/EV-DO/WiMAX/LTE hotspot can really radiate some RF. Max ERP on LTE 1900 is 32 dBm and on WiMAX 2600 is 28 dBm. For reference, that is 16x the power output of the EVO 4G LTE and 4x the power output of the EVO 4G, respectively.

AJ

With numbers like that, it makes me want to get one! Although, as close as I live to a site, it could be one quarter of the EVO and I'd still be fine.

Robert

With numbers like that, it makes me want to get one! Although, as close as I live to a site, it could be one quarter of the EVO and I'd still be fine.

Robert

Lucky you. You could have the worst device in the entire Sprint line up and still get decent service thanks to that tower right out in front of your house.

• Like 1

I wonder what the non contract price will be.

I still have my old Overdrive and my contract is still not up but I would be willing to get it out right if the price is not ridiculous. Anyone know price without the subsidy?

• 7 months later...

Anyone have experience using the TriFi hotspot? Thinking of getting rid of the cable company Internet once LTE is in my area.

A hotspot is not a replacement for home broadband unless you can live within the 3 GB, 6 GB, or 12 GB data caps. And for the 12 GB quota, you are likely paying less for your current cable broadband.

AJ

Thanks AJ but my question was about the user experience. I can look up the data only price plans on the Sprint website which also shows the data caps.

Does the user experience matter if none of the data/price tiers meet your needs?

I am trying to assist you, but your response comes off as a bit curt.

AJ

Yes the user experience matters. I know what my needs are. I don't know how the experience of using this device is. Which is why I'm asking folks on the forum.

Then, all that you need to say is that "I can live within a 3 GB, 6 GB, or 12 GB cap" because the hotspots are NOT eligible for unlimited plans. And most home broadband users at S4GRU would exceed those stated caps.

Now, please do not take an argumentative tone with staff members here. There is no need for that.

AJ

If you haven't used this why are you even posting about it?

Why are you being so opaque? What is your problem? Treat the staff here with respect, or face the consequences.

AJ

Anyone have experience using the TriFi hotspot? Thinking of getting rid of the cable company Internet once LTE is in my area. The reviews of this device on Sprints website aren't that favorable.

We have a member review of it in our news section: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-276-sprint-4g-lte-tri-fi-hotspot-review/

Please also note that our Staff members can post in any of our forums, and help run the site. Your comments to our Staff are out of line.

Please consult our Staff Directory here: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1250-s4gru-staff/

Please consult our Posting Guidelines here: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1197-s4gru-posting-guidelines-aka-the-rulez/

Robert

You know speaking of the TriFi Hotspot (which I have and works fine) I've been meaning to get the desktop cradle for it and just keep forgetting to buy it.

Now I see that they have a vehicle MIMO antenna that connects to the TriFi hotspot. I'm tempted to get it but the 100 USD for it is actually holding me back. Would love to put that in the car.

TS

• Like 1

Why are you being so opaque? What is your problem? Treat the staff here with respect, or face the consequences.

AJ

Please also note that our Staff members can post in any of our forums, and help run the site. Your comments to our Staff are out of line.

Robert

Erm, to be entirely honest here guys, I can see centralcityguy's point. He asked a question, and was given information he felt was unnecessary, which escalated from there. It appears both sides believed the other to be attacking them, to be argumentative - which on the internet, where tone and body language are lacking - is a very foolish thing to do.

For example, this very post: if one was expecting an argument, you'd find one. My tone is calm and explanatory, but if you took it personally, it would look like I'm mocking you, or worse.

Was centralcityguy out of line? If you read his posts as simple questioning, not at all. If you read it as hostile, then yes. I really love this forum, but lately, things have really been on-edge between the staff and the general public. And it shows, sadly.

• Like 1

Erm, to be entirely honest here guys, I can see centralcityguy's point. He asked a question, and was given information he felt was unnecessary, which escalated from there. It appears both sides believed the other to be attacking them, to be argumentative - which on the internet, where tone and body language are lacking - is a very foolish thing to do.

For example, this very post: if one was expecting an argument, you'd find one. My tone is calm and explanatory, but if you took it personally, it would look like I'm mocking you, or worse.

Was centralcityguy out of line? If you read his posts as simple questioning, not at all. If you read it as hostile, then yes. I really love this forum, but lately, things have really been on-edge between the staff and the general public. And it shows, sadly.

AJ is not a warm and cuddly communicator. However, my point was only related to him correcting a staff member for posting here even though he does not have the device. Our staff monitor and post in every category. I did answer his question even still.

Robert

• Like 1

Erm, to be entirely honest here guys, I can see centralcityguy's point. He asked a question, and was given information he felt was unnecessary, which escalated from there.

I still do not get it. I did this guy a favor by running down the hotspot quotas and prices: 3 GB ($34.99), 6 GB ($49.99), 12 GB ($79.99). Unless you are a very low data transfer user, those packages are not even remotely comparable to those of cable broadband, which this guy wanted to replace with a hotspot. When I pointed that out, he was evasive about knowing his "needs." Why be so evasive? It is suspicious.

If you have to ask a question, then be prepared to answer one in return.

AJ

• Like 2

AJ is not a warm and cuddly communicator.

Very true. My allegiance is to information more than it is to people. That is both one of my greatest strengths and deepest weaknesses.

AJ

AJ is not a warm and cuddly communicator. However, my point was only related to him correcting a staff member for posting here even though he does not have the device. Our staff monitor and post in every category. I did answer his question even still.

Robert

Yes, I would agree, that post was a little harsh, but (see next)

I still do not get it. I did this guy a favor by running down the hotspot quotas and prices: 3 GB ($34.99), 6 GB ($49.99), 12 GB ($79.99). Unless you are a very low data transfer user, those packages are not even remotely comparable to those of cable broadband, which this guy wanted to replace with a hotspot. When I pointed that out, he was evasive about knowing his "needs." Why be so evasive? It is suspicious.

If you have to ask a question, then be prepared to answer one in return.

AJ

Without getting in to things like MBTI and personality types, to him, he had a singular goal in mind, and extra information that did not answer his question directly, was useless to him, and seemingly a waste of time. He even said thanks! Again, to him, it appears that he considered information not directly related to the question to be as bad as a non-sequiter.

As for whether or not his needs meet the data caps, well, overages on Sprint are expensive, which he will learn very quickly if that's his issue...

Very true. My allegiance is to information more than it is to people. That is both one of my greatest strengths and deepest weaknesses.

AJ

Would you ever describe yourself as a "crusty old curmudgeon"? :P