Galaxy S24 Info & Discussion

PythonFanPA

4 hours ago, PythonFanPA said:

1.7 meg Google Play System update is now showing available - about to install. 

Update:  new version date is Jan 1 24

Mine's already on that so I guess it updated sometime 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mmark27 said:

Mine's already on that so I guess it updated sometime 

Out of the box at launch I was showing July 2023, all the way up til yesterday.

Got another G-Play System update - 1.7 meg again and no change in the patch date after, still 1/1/24.   Experienced the same oddity a few times on the S22+ as well. 

3 hours ago, PythonFanPA said:

Got another G-Play System update - 1.7 meg again and no change in the patch date after, still 1/1/24.   Experienced the same oddity a few times on the S22+ as well. 

On the same g- play date with factory unlocked ultra.

Don't know if this is a T-Mobile or phone issue, but if my phone uses SA and chooses n41 as the PCC, n25 or n71 don't get aggregated so it's 2ca n41 only. If the PCC is n25 or n71, it will use the full 4ca combo. Not sure what's up with that.  

19 hours ago, cooltech6597 said:

Don't know if this is a T-Mobile or phone issue, but if my phone uses SA and chooses n41 as the PCC, n25 or n71 don't get aggregated so it's 2ca n41 only. If the PCC is n25 or n71, it will use the full 4ca combo. Not sure what's up with that.  

I think each market or region is making many changes. With n41 SA as primary I have seen on a regular basis: n41 SA 100Mhz plus n25 SA + n71 SA + n41 SA 80Mhz.

Today about 90 minutes east I saw n41 SA 100MHz + n25 20x20 × n71 + n25 SA 5x5.  This was in an auction 108 area. Throughput 10 times greater at on point (was congested).  Also an 108 area were sites likely in process of being upgraded, but need to double check this mathematically.

I took an interstate route to an event them a divided highway/ two lane road back.  It dawned on me that T-Mobile likely has fewer band 41 sites than Sprint, especially away from interstates.  This could be a problem for Home Internet expansion. Hopefully it does well on existing rural n41 sites so they upgrade the others.

Edit: So I did the math on Jefferson County Ohio area with the Ed and Br licences.  The eastern sliver (Pittsburgh) max bandwidth is 72, northern sliver (Youngtown) max is 72 twice, north 1/3 and rest of county max is 55. New auction 108 max is 108 and 72 (could beg for the rest).  So I believe in my seeing 80 and 100 MHz, the 80 MHz was just transitory in the upgrade process. Time will tell. Will test on some future trip.

Edited by dkyeager

22 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

I took an interstate route to an event them a divided highway/ two lane road back.  It dawned on me that T-Mobile likely has fewer band 41 sites than Sprint, especially away from interstates.

Maybe this is a regional thing... but T-Mobile has way more B/n41 sites than Sprint ever did across Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Colorado and Oklahoma. Including quite a bit of rural coverage that Sprint never touched.

1 hour ago, Dkoellerwx said:

Maybe this is a regional thing... but T-Mobile has way more B/n41 sites than Sprint ever did across Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Colorado and Oklahoma. Including quite a bit of rural coverage that Sprint never touched.

Likely. A few of the sites appeared not to have 5g, or just had n71. Not real scientific: passenger. no site stops. Was using 4 or 5 phones on T-Mobile.  Ran into some Verizon roaming. Some deliberate, more for short distances. Some coverage better than Sorint.  Never observed Band 41 LTE or Band 26 LTE. Some phones were Band locked.

Had phones running on the duo, but was not interacting with them. 7.5 hours of driving.

It appears that T-Mobile is quickly enabling the new cellular bandwidth but for some sites they may have to wait an unknown amount of time for the backhaul to be increased so that users actually see the faster speeds.

69 MB Google Play System update available here after checking before bed. 

Edit:   it's the same Feb update the S22 series got per Pedro after looking in that thread. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My s24 Ultras auto updated to April 1 security patch over night. Not on wi-fi.  Play system remains at March 1. No notice that update occurred on screen.

• 1 month later...

May 1st security update installed on s24 ultra factory unlocked. No functional changes detected.

• Like 1

Checked and found a 2.7mb Google Play System 'security' update pending.   Post install the update date still showing April 1st however.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PythonFanPA said:

Checked and found a 2.7mb Google Play System 'security' update pending.   Post install the update date still showing April 1st however.

Two s24 ultras, both say fully up to date. One has T-Mobile and Verizon network, Service provider software version 17, carrier config version 2, and few apps [google play system March 1], other with T-Mobile, Dish Rainbow Sim, Verizon Network (inactive), Service provider software version 19, no carrier config, and many apps [Google play system April 1]

8 hours ago, wispiANt said:

66MB Google Play System update for May.

71 and 82MB for me, but updated both phones

Was 66 on my S24+ unlocked as well, although it took until last night before it showed available - I'd checked within an hour of wisp's post initially and there was nothing pending.

On 5/21/2024 at 10:23 AM, wispiANt said:

66MB Google Play System update for May.

Not sure if it's related but since this Play System update, I've had notifications pop up randomly and repeatedly from messages that were already read quite some time ago. Happening for IG, FB messenger, but also Google Messages and other apps, so not just a Meta problem. Driving me nuts. I cleared cache in recovery after update as well. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mmark27 said:

Not sure if it's related but since this Play System update, I've had notifications pop up randomly and repeatedly from messages that were already read quite some time ago. Happening for IG, FB messenger, but also Google Messages and other apps, so not just a Meta problem. Driving me nuts. I cleared cache in recovery after update as well. 

I have seen the same thing with an email app.

• 3 weeks later...

June 1st security update installed on s24 ultra factory unlocked. No functional changes detected. No play system update yet.