Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

6 hours ago, Brad The Beast said:

I highly doubt the Sprint one. T-Mobile's maybe.

T-Mobile's map looks reasonable with the pace at which they're rolling out L600. All L600 equipment is NR-Capable.

Sprint's map is heavily understated, though, I think. Sprint's 5G rollout will most definitely be more widespread than that. 

Additionally, all Ericsson radio equipment that shipped after 2015 is software upgradable to LTE+NR with their proprietary spectrum sharing technology. I'm sure Sprint will take advantage of this. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

Sprint's map is heavily understated, though, I think. Sprint's 5G rollout will most definitely be more widespread than that. 

I think so as well. I mean we're seeing them roll out M-MIMO in places that aren't the first 9 5G launch cities before they've even launched 5G.

3 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

Additionally, all Ericsson radio equipment that shipped after 2015 is software upgradable to LTE+NR with their proprietary spectrum sharing technology. I'm sure Sprint will take advantage of this. 

I didn't know that! That's really cool! Is an 8T8R antenna going to be enough for 5G though?

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Brad The Beast said:

I think so as well. I mean we're seeing them roll out M-MIMO in places that aren't the first 9 5G launch cities before they've even launched 5G.

I didn't know that! That's really cool! Is an 8T8R antenna going to be enough for 5G though?

It depends what you mean by enough. Enough to run 5G? Yes. Enough to run 5G at appreciably better speeds or coverage than L2500? Probably not. 

Here's more on Ericsson Spectrum Sharing  if you're curious:

1 hour ago, RAvirani said:

T-Mobile's map looks reasonable with the pace at which they're rolling out L600. All L600 equipment is NR-Capable.

Exactly. Sprint is underselling itself so much here it’s ridiculous... but that’s the pitch it has to make to attempt to justify a merger.

11 minutes ago, Brad The Beast said:

Would they bother with it then? That's what I was worried about. 

I didn't say there would be no improvement. NR could be 30-50% faster then LTE with the same spectrum resources depending on how they choose to deploy it. And don't forget NR can be aggregated with LTE  

Additionally, this of deployment will allow Sprint to win the 5G marketing/coverage race. This means a better and stronger brand, more customers additions, more revenue and accordingly, more capex.

Sprint has some big opportunities coming up. They are the in the single best position to deploy 5G on a wide and high quality scale (T-Mobile only can deploy on a wide but low-quality scale and Big Red/Deathstar can deploy on a high-quality scale but not necessarily widely). If Sprint really capitalizes on their advantages and strengths, they could definitely be the #1 urban operator in the next few years. 

• Like 1

Becuase some of us don’t want the merger to happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why not? Sprint can't continuewhere they are at. They will end up getting gobbled up by a cable company if it fails. Sprint lack of coverage will not help them in the future.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

2190d1ab5528442fb0858272de4fda32.jpg

• Like 1

Why not? Sprint can't continuewhere they are at. They will end up getting gobbled up by a cable company if it fails. Sprint lack of coverage will not help them in the future.  

Not trying to be rude but why does it matter ? Some want the merger, others don’t. I understand the position sprint is in.

Not trying to be rude but why does it matter ? Some want the merger, others don’t. I understand the position sprint is in.

I was asking why you switch to vzw instead of TMobile?

2 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

That Sprint 5G map is definitely not accurate.

• Like 1

That Sprint 5G map is definitely not accurate.

Why? Sprint is still paying for 4G. So 5G on their own is questionable. They can't afford backhaul for LTE how can they afford 5G?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tengen31 said:

Why? Sprint is still paying for 4G. So 5G on their own is questionable. They can't afford backhaul for LTE how can they afford 5G?

They've been rolling out these M-MIMO antennas like there's no tomorrow. They're deploying them in markets other than the initial 5G launch cities. Since it's a simple software configuration change, they can get 5G rolled out in a lot more places than that by 2024. It might not be the fastest at first but then they win the 5G marketing gimmick. 

They've been rolling out these M-MIMO antennas like there's no tomorrow. They're deploying them in markets other than the initial 5G launch cities. Since it's a simple software configuration change, they can get 5G rolled out in a lot more places than that by 2024. It might not be the fastest at first but then they win the 5G marketing gimmick. 

Yeah that only works for where Sprint covers now. Not the rest where they don't cover that Tmobile does cover and would make use of the spectrum in these areas. Coverage is more important to me than speed.

Yeah that only works for where Sprint covers now. Not the rest where they don't cover that Tmobile does cover and would make use of the spectrum in these areas. Coverage is more important to me than speed.

They'll have better 5G coverage than everyone else. It's no secret that mmWave is terrible for range. The only other competitor would be T-Mobile and they're behind the game. 

They'll have better 5G coverage than everyone else. It's no secret that mmWave is terrible for range. The only other competitor would be T-Mobile and they're behind the game. 

How? Sprint has no coverage in SD,ND, Wyoming, Montana, and other areas of the country. In Minnesota there is roaming areas so how is that more coverage?

Just now, Tengen31 said:

How? Sprint has no coverage in SD,ND, Wyoming, Montana, and other areas of the country. In Minnesota there is Alot of roaming so how is that more coverage?

mmWave won't leave the large cities. T-Mobile is still in the process of rolling out 600MHz and is way behind on their 5G deployment promises. Sprints 5G coverage will definitely be better than Verizon and AT&Ts. T-Mobile might catch up in coverage but their 5G will be slower as 5G NR on 600MHz has a 20MHz channel width limit. 

mmWave won't leave the large cities. T-Mobile is still in the process of rolling out 600MHz and is way behind on their 5G deployment promises. Sprints 5G coverage will definitely be better than Verizon and AT&Ts. T-Mobile might catch up in coverage but their 5G will be slower as 5G NR on 600MHz has a 20MHz channel width limit. 

That's why I'm for this merger as to have both 71 and 41. Your still didn't answer as to how that works where Sprint doesn't have coverage? Plus att has plans outside of mm wave. B30 has been talked about. Edit: your saying att Anand VZW don't have plans for 5G outside of metro??

Just now, Tengen31 said:

That's why I'm for this merger as to have both 71 and 41. Your still didn't answer as to how that works where Sprint doesn't have coverage? Plus att has plans outside of mm wave. B30 has been talked about

Well they'll have to expand coverage. 5G NR can't be run on band 30 according to Wikipedia. 

Well they'll have to expand coverage. 5G NR can't be run on band 30 according to Wikipedia. 

Sprint can't afford to expand coverage. The 5-6 billion dollar capex is no longer and softbank seems like they want Sprint off their hands.

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/at-t-likely-to-start-refarming-low-band-spectrum-for-5g-next-year

Sprint can't afford to expand coverage. The 5-6 billion dollar capex is no longer and softbank seems like they want Sprint off their hands.

What about all the recent M-MIMO installs? I would say that they can't expand coverage on a large scale like they need to but I think they definitely could expand coverage in smaller phases.

What about all the recent M-MIMO installs? I would say that they can't expand coverage on a large scale like they need to but I think they definitely could expand coverage in smaller phases.

M-Mimo is only where Sprint covers now. Small phases I don't know. I think softbank really wants to merger cause then they can just deploy Sprint spectrum onto TMobile towers. As posted on the forum the cellular one expansion isn't happening.