Network Vision/LTE - Colorado Market (Denver/Colo Springs/Fort Collins/Pueblo/Grand Jct)

Craig

Why was Denver picked by Sprint to be an early adopter of band 41?  Why not Vegas or Phoenix or

other suitable Wimax locals with similar topology?  I've often wondered about this..Perhaps Denver

had smaller market share?  Little Wimax usage?

Denver was picked by Clearwire with input from Sprint based on usage and need to offload among other things. Furthermore it already has a sizable wimax rollout with equipment (huawei) that can be relatively "easily" upgraded to TDD-LTE with mostly a software upgrade with no actual physical work on the equipment other than the base stations.

Vegas was one of the few  early Wimax markets with equipment that must be completely replaced which might've been a too costly affair for Clearwire who was quite money strapped. Phoenix had a test FIT and was not a wimax market. All current Band 41 conversions are in fully deployed markets. 

• Like 3

Denver was picked by Clearwire with input from Sprint based on usage and need to offload among other things. Furthermore it already has a sizable wimax rollout with equipment (huawei) that can be relatively "easily" upgraded to TDD-LTE with mostly a software upgrade with no actual physical work on the equipment other than the base stations.

Vegas was one of the few early Wimax markets with equipment that must be completely replaced which might've been a too costly affair for Clearwire who was quite money strapped. Phoenix had a test FIT and was not a wimax market. All current Band 41 conversions are in fully deployed markets.

Couldn't have said this better myself. Great post.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Vegas was one of the few  early Wimax markets with equipment that must be completely replaced which might've been a too costly affair for Clearwire who was quite money strapped. Phoenix had a test FIT and was not a wimax market. All current Band 41 conversions are in fully deployed markets. 

Then one can infer from this that band 41 implementation is going to be in fits & starts thru out 2014-2015

presumably and that some markets will be way ahead of others with the promise of "Spark"; I suppose

Softbank (aka Sprint) simply has to decide at the margins which markets have potential to give ROI (read added 

subs) sooner than others; it appears to me that NV will be fragmented at best for a year or two..I know this is drifting

off-topic but Colorado has been a pathfinder for Spark since last July and seems to me to be a harbinger of

the form NV will eventually take..

Then one can infer from this that band 41 implementation is going to be in fits & starts thru out 2014-2015

presumably and that some markets will be way ahead of others with the promise of "Spark"; I suppose

Softbank (aka Sprint) simply has to decide at the margins which markets have potential to give ROI (read added

subs) sooner than others; it appears to me that NV will be fragmented at best for a year or two..I know this is drifting

off-topic but Colorado has been a pathfinder for Spark since last July and seems to me to be a harbinger of

the form NV will eventually take..

One can make the best inferences by looking at the B41 schedule map in the Premier Sponsor section. Further discussion should be there as well as we are getting off topic.

• Like 1

Ive donated! to S4GRU anybody know how i can see the maps now?

-Thanks

I received a donation a few minutes ago with no screen name and the PayPal email address didn't match anyone on file. So I don't know who to upgrade.

If that was you, respond to the email I sent to your PayPal email address.

I received a donation a few minutes ago with no screen name and the PayPal email address didn't match anyone on file. So I don't know who to upgrade.

If that was you, respond to the email I sent to your PayPal email address.

I sent you an Email hopefully you got it also i logged in to that email address and got a receipt from paypal 

I just want to take a moment to explain something clearly:

All Sprint LTE devices that are not Triband are Uniband (except the iPhone 5s/5c). Meaning they only work on one band. That's Band 25 (1900MHz).

That's why not all Sprint LTE devices work on Band 41. Because they were designed to work only on one different band. Sprint initially started LTE deployment on only Band 25. And since have added Bands 26 and 41.

Triband LTE devices work on Bands 25, 26, 41. So they can access a lot more LTE sites. However, Triband smartphones require CSFB in order to work properly. A Triband smartphone will stay on 3G only if CSFB is not present. A Triband hotspot is unaffected by CSFB as they don't offer voice. You can force a Triband phone into LTE Only mode and it will run on LTE (including B41), but you will lose access to voice services.

The iPhone 5s/5c are the only dual band devices on the Sprint network. They run on B25 and B26. They will not work on B41. They do not require CSFB to work on LTE. The iPhone 5 is uniband and runs on B25 only.

Currently, there are over one hundred B41 sites live in the Denver Metro/FoCo Corridor. They are accessible to all Triband hotspots. They are also accessible to Triband smartphones in places where Samsung has already completed 3G upgrades and eCSFB is live. Other than that, Triband smartphones will need to be in LTE Only mode to use Band 41 until 3G/CSFB is upgraded near the other B41 sites.

Hopefully this clears things up.

Perfect! Thanks Robert.....

• Like 2

If my estimation is right I'm guessing We might have LTE by April-May.

Robert clarified that the iPhone 5 only supports band 25, anytime i drive around i toggle LTE on to see if i can connect but it never goes through i see many people posting screenshots of LTE on there phones. Is this because the iPhone 5 supports only band 25?

Does anyone know of any signal type tool for the iPhone besides Field Test and Sensorly?

Robert clarified that the iPhone 5 only supports band 25, anytime i drive around i toggle LTE on to see if i can connect but it never goes through i see many people posting screenshots of LTE on there phones. Is this because the iPhone 5 supports only band 25?

Essentially yes. The screenshot above is by someone who was on b41, which is spark. Notice the download speed. You will never have that kind of speed on b25 or b26.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

e7aqepaq.jpg

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Please forgive my ignorance here.  But I am on the verge of a wife and 2 other lines wanting to jump ship right now to T-Mobile, whose hotspot is honestly winning over on anything right now.

With a test like this, and what we know about Band 41.  What is the range on this band 41 tower.  Weren't we picking up some Band 41 from CO springs last month?

The reason I ask is that I'm in Greeley, and I'm wondering if I could benefit from this out here.

I would gladly donate, but with a one year old and a highlander that just decided to shred the engine.  I just can't justify the expense at the moment.  If there's a site worth supporting it's this one.  If I'm stepping on toes, I apologize and please feel free to shut me down on this.

Thank you all again for your insights and information.  The last post by Robert really opened my eyes to how things work in a much more simple fashion for my newly infant simplified brain :)

Edit: sorry for the increased size on the screen shot, I can't figure out how that happened.  I'm pretty good with boards since I've been posting to them for over a decade, and very active on the Electronic Cigarette Forum for almost 4 years.

Also, don't you hate when the volume sneaks in to a screen shot :)

Edited by DrOckW

Please forgive my ignorance here.  But I am on the verge of a wife and 2 other lines wanting to jump ship right now to T-Mobile, whose hotspot is honestly winning over on anything right now.

With a test like this, and what we know about Band 41.  What is the range on this band 41 tower.  Weren't we picking up some Band 41 from CO springs last month?

The reason I ask is that I'm in Greeley, and I'm wondering if I could benefit from this out here.

I would gladly donate, but with a one year old and a highlander that just decided to shred the engine.  I just can't justify the expense at the moment.  If there's a site worth supporting it's this one.  If I'm stepping on toes, I apologize and please feel free to shut me down on this.

Thank you all again for your insights and information.  The last post by Robert really opened my eyes to how things work in a much more simple fashion for my newly infant simplified brain :)

The tower in Fort Collins won't reach where you are at. However, there are a few former Clearwire towers (fyi, all current band 41 sites at this point in time are former Clear sites) in Greeley. Without giving too much away, they are scheduled to receive the updates necessary to broadcast band 41.

Your current phones however are unable to access band 41 LTE. That said it appears that most of the current Sprint sites in your area are just waiting for the backhaul necessary to begin broadcasting band 25 LTE. This could start happening soon (or take what feels like forever).

Thank you CDK!  Awesome insight.

Does anyone know about buying the Nexus 5 from Google and activating it with Sprint.  Just had a support person tell me it is not possible.  I want to get a tri-band phone to test out the feasibility of keeping Sprint for my 4 lines, but I don't want to have my others pay the Sprint $100 tax on the device.

Does anyone know about buying the Nexus 5 from Google and activating it with Sprint.  Just had a support person tell me it is not possible.  I want to get a tri-band phone to test out the feasibility of keeping Sprint for my 4 lines, but I don't want to have my others pay the Sprint $100 tax on the device.

Yes you can buy a Nexus 5 from google and activate it on Sprint. Many of us here have done it. I would suggest looking at the Nexus 5 thread for more info. Of course until those other bands (26 and 41) are active the only benefit you will notice is the outstanding rf performance on the Nexus. Well that and the ability to take the Nexus to another carrier (well 2 of the other 3) if you do decide to change.

• Like 2

Sprint reps should be fired. Start hiring them from s4gru! Ill work the forums for them.

• Like 4

If you get a Tri-Band device, you will get LTE in Greeley. Can't say much more, you'll have to discover for yourself. Should be some fairly nice speeds too.... with a footprint similar to WiMax if you catch my drift.  ;)

I highly recommend the N5. I got the 32GB version from the Play store and activated it at a corporate Sprint store with no issues. 

• Like 3

If you get a Tri-Band device, you will get LTE in Greeley. Can't say much more, you'll have to discover for yourself. Should be some fairly nice speeds too.... with a footprint similar to WiMax if you catch my drift.   ;)

I highly recommend the N5. I got the 32GB version from the Play store and activated it at a corporate Sprint store with no issues. 

Thank you all for the replies on this.  I will cut the convo on the device since it is sort of OT.  I do have to say that WiMax was a very small radius in our town.  I'm hoping the changes coming will be slightly more powerful :)

You guys are awesome.  I wasn't mad at the sprint chat rep, honestly I feel that the corporate offices might be misleading the employees in an attempt to protect the bottom line.  Google itself says that they're selling these for a loss.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the replies on this.  I will cut the convo on the device since it is sort of OT.  I do have to say that WiMax was a very small radius in our town.  I'm hoping the changes coming will be slightly more powerful :)

You guys are awesome.  I wasn't mad at the sprint chat rep, honestly I feel that the corporate offices might be misleading the employees in an attempt to protect the bottom line.  Google itself says that they're selling these for a loss.

There aren't a lot of Clear sites in Greeley, so you won't have a huge LTE footprint, initially. It won't be stuck at the WiMax size for long. There's already one additional LTE site activated in La Salle. 

• Like 1