VoLTE for "older" devices

sleet

So I've been using a Nexus 5 (yeah I know a bit old) and it's worked great. I read here about others with newer smartphones getting voice calling plus (or whatever it was called) and calls started on wifi but then handing over to the LTE network and they could get voice and data at the same time. Obviously it's not VoLTE in it's final form but better than nothing and at least it's a start in the right direction.

So what I'm wondering is how will this affect us with older phones? I mean I understand that my Nexus 5 would have VoLTE on any other carrier but if Sprint finally runs with VoLTE will it cover all (or at least "most") phones. or will all of us have to run out and get the latest Samsung Galaxy Sx or LG Gx models etc?

I mean is VoLTE a general spec and all phones that support it once the carrier support it will work fine? or is it pretty much carrier to carrier how they roll their only hybrid version of it?

When Sprint finally "turns on" VoLTE, they will not turn off 1x/3G simultaneously.

Verizon still hasn't turned their CDMA services off, and they were the first to roll out VoLTE in the US. (Otherwise legacy flip phones and older smartphones would have stopped working) 

You will have a new device by the time you are required to use VoLTE for calling, trust me. (Years away)

• Like 1

Thanks,

I suppose I should have clarified. I wasn't wondering if they would switch off 1x/3G. I figured they'd keep that around for a bit for legacy users.

It was more along the lines of "odds are you won't ever get VoLTE unless you get a phone that supports it out of the box. - Except for maybe a couple of flagship phones that came out the previous year"

I initially thought that any LTE phone should support it but with how the roll out of the "hybrid" setup I'm starting to think it'll be more likely that it'll just be phones that came out the previous 6 months to a year that will support VoLTE and everyone else who wants it will have to just get a new phone.

I think the CDMA shutoff has been rumored to be 2020+.

I know on the iPhone side, devices back to the iPhone 6 support VoLTE. A carrier update should enable this functionality for users of this 2014-released device. I would assume other older Android devices can get VoLTE enabled retroactively as well.

I cannot imagine total CDMA shut down before 2020.  Sprint is likely to start LTE only on new deployments once they go VoLTE, similar to what Tmo has done.  Hopefully they wont do B26 only like how Tmo has done B12 only.  With their comments of doing Triband on new sites makes me hopeful.

Robert

• Like 3

1 hour ago, red_dog007 said:

I can see CDMA staying on for a long time.  Until the last drop so to speak.  Would shutting down 1x800 result in any gain for Sprint?

Not really. That’s why we don’t anticipate a full shutdown for quite some time. 

1 hour ago, red_dog007 said:

Would shutting down 1x800 result in any gain for Sprint?

Unless running SMR 800 MHz RRUs and antennas in dual mode involves any compromises to LTE, no.  No gain.  Nobody with any sense wants an additional 1.4 MHz FDD carrier in place of CDMA1X 800.

AJ

Unless running SMR 800 MHz RRUs and antennas in dual mode involves any compromises to LTE, no.  No gain.  Nobody with any sense wants an additional 1.4 MHz FDD carrier in place of CDMA1X 800.
AJ
I think 1x800 will be Sprint's last CDMA position. The 1x1900 will be farmed over to LTE for VoLTE no sooner than several years out.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

54 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

I think 1x800 will be Sprint's last CDMA position. The 1x1900 will be farmed over to LTE for VoLTE no sooner than several years out.

CDMA1X 1900 does not necessarily have to go away completely either.  A PCS A/B block 30 MHz license is 15 MHz FDD.  But an LTE carrier occupies only 90 percent of available bandwidth -- 15 MHz FDD actually is 13.5 MHz FDD.  And a CDMA1X carrier is 1.25 MHz FDD.  Thus, do the math:  13.5 MHz FDD + 1.25 MHz FDD = 14.75 MHz FDD.

AJ

• Like 4

3 hours ago, WiWavelength said:

CDMA1X 1900 does not necessarily have to go away completely either.  A PCS A/B block 30 MHz license is 15 MHz FDD.  But an LTE carrier occupies only 90 percent of available bandwidth -- 15 MHz FDD actually is 13.5 MHz FDD.  And a CDMA1X carrier is 1.25 MHz FDD.  Thus, do the math:  13.5 MHz FDD + 1.25 MHz FDD = 14.75 MHz FDD.

AJ

But the guard band for a 15x15 LTE carrier is 0.75 MHz on each side, right? Wouldn’t that mean that one guard band would have to be outside of the licensed block to allow for a 1x carrier?

3 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

But the guard band for a 15x15 LTE carrier is 0.75 MHz on each side, right? Wouldn’t that mean that one guard band would have to be outside of the licensed block to allow for a 1x carrier?

No, see the math above.

AJ

1 minute ago, WiWavelength said:

No, see the math above.

AJ

I’m asking because your math doesn’t make sense, at least to me.

There wouldn’t be 1.5 MHz of contiguous spectrum to put a 1x carrier in, as your math would suggest. Did you read my post at all?

11 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

I’m asking because your math doesn’t make sense, at least to me.

There wouldn’t be 1.5 MHz of contiguous spectrum to put a 1x carrier in, as your math would suggest. Did you read my post at all?

[0.125 MHz][1.25 MHz][13.5 MHz][0.125 MHz] = 15 MHz

AJ

7 minutes ago, WiWavelength said:

AJ

Ah ok. So I’m guessing it’s not an issue if the guard band pours over the edge of Sprint’s licensed spectrum? Also does a guard band need to exist between the 1x and the LTE carrier?

2 hours ago, WiWavelength said:

AJ

Over time Sprint has grown less conservative with guard bands (and/or our understanding is greater).  In some of our earlier calculations we were giving CDMA 0.625 guard bands and 10% internal to each side for LTE bands.  They certainly have packed 1x800 more closely with 3x3 and channel 526 as a case it point.   You are correct that Sprint may ultimately be able to have several CDMA channels with almost no effect on LTE.  This is assuming that current 1900 RRH firmware is able to be adjusted to support larger bandwidth LTE while still supporting CDMA for places like Columbus.  Maximizing LTE  will get more interesting for some Shentel locations like Marietta, OH - Parkersburg, WV which will soon have 10x10 and 20x20 as one network to play with as per their April 2017 expansion agreement.  CDMA capabilities with 5G radios may be more of an issue longer term, in addition to volumes needed to support CDMA existing in future smartphones.  

So I've been using a Nexus 5 (yeah I know a bit old) and it's worked great. I read here about others with newer smartphones getting voice calling plus (or whatever it was called) and calls started on wifi but then handing over to the LTE network and they could get voice and data at the same time. Obviously it's not VoLTE in it's final form but better than nothing and at least it's a start in the right direction.

So what I'm wondering is how will this affect us with older phones? I mean I understand that my Nexus 5 would have VoLTE on any other carrier but if Sprint finally runs with VoLTE will it cover all (or at least "most") phones. or will all of us have to run out and get the latest Samsung Galaxy Sx or LG Gx models etc?

I mean is VoLTE a general spec and all phones that support it once the carrier support it will work fine? or is it pretty much carrier to carrier how they roll their only hybrid version of it?

Wait - you're using a Nexus 5 on Sprint? Does your SMS and MMS ever stop working, requiring a reboot to fix it? I don't want to hijack your thread, so I won't post details, but I've tried everything. Details here: http://www.s4gru.com/applications/tapatalk/index.php?/topic/5806-LG-Google-Nexus-5-Users-Thread!#entry521495

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, dkyeager said:

Over time Sprint has grown less conservative with guard bands (and/or our understanding is greater).  In some of our earlier calculations we were giving CDMA 0.625 guard bands and 10% internal to each side for LTE bands.  They certainly have packed 1x800 more closely with 3x3 and channel 526 as a case it point.   You are correct that Sprint may ultimately be able to have several CDMA channels with almost no effect on LTE.  This is assuming that current 1900 RRH firmware is able to be adjusted to support larger bandwidth LTE while still supporting CDMA for places like Columbus.  Maximizing LTE  will get more interesting for some Shentel locations like Marietta, OH - Parkersburg, WV which will soon have 10x10 and 20x20 as one network to play with as per their April 2017 expansion agreement.  CDMA capabilities with 5G radios may be more of an issue longer term, in addition to volumes needed to support CDMA existing in future smartphones.  

Wait Sprint first 20x20 is on the way?