HTC Bolt

jreuschl

Some devices, like the Nexus 5 use *#*#debug#*#* instead of ##debug#.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

I did not know that. Cool

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

Is there a way to change any of the default applications in extreme power saving mode? I'm looking to change Google Messenger to Hangouts since I'm Google Voice integrated.

• 2 months later...

I got the free USB C to headphone jack adapter in the mail last week. I didn't get around to using it until today but I was surprised how much better the included USB C earbuds sound than my old headphones using the adapter. I signed up for the free adapter shortly after I received the phone.

anyone else have the premium caller id working for free on the bolt? started within the last few days for me. it is a pretty decent service and works even when not connected to LTE.

How did you get it to work for free? When I open that app it says unsubscribed with a sub option for $2.99/mo.

How did you get it to work for free? When I open that app it says unsubscribed with a sub option for $2.99/mo.

I dont really know.  My plan add-ons show "premium caller id" with a price of $0.00.  With how slick it is, i would actually pay the $2.99.  Still wonder how it works.  maybe it is there way of keeping me from jumping to another carrier.  others get hot spot of 10 gigs...i get premium caller id lol

I dont really know. My plan add-ons show "premium caller id" with a price of $0.00. With how slick it is, i would actually pay the $2.99. Still wonder how it works. maybe it is there way of keeping me from jumping to another carrier. others get hot spot of 10 gigs...i get premium caller id lol

It looks pretty slick. I was interested when I got the phone but it's on of those things like lookout security and visual voicemail that have those monthly charges I don't like. I would rather pay a flat fee than extra MRC.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm considering replacing my Note 5 with the Bolt. I read the posted opinions, but now that it's a few months since release, any changed opinions? How is the battery life holding up?

Battery life is still the same for the most part. Randomly Facebook and messenger will destroy the battery but that's happened with my last few phones. I've dropped mine several times and it's holding up well with only minor scuffs. If I handed you the phone and didn't point them out you wouldn't notice. I've had buyers regret with a few of my devices, but the Bolt isn't one of them.

• Like 1

Battery life is still the same for the most part. Randomly Facebook and messenger will destroy the battery but that's happened with my last few phones. I've dropped mine several times and it's holding up well with only minor scuffs. If I handed you the phone and didn't point them out you wouldn't notice. I've had buyers regret with a few of my devices, but the Bolt isn't one of them.

Hopefully the bolt is better than this Crap A9 I have. I wish I never bought it. I wanna go back to Samsung.

I'm considering replacing my Note 5 with the Bolt. I read the posted opinions, but now that it's a few months since release, any changed opinions? How is the battery life holding up?

My Bolt was working great until the screen went dead (seems like an occasional HTC issue for several models). Before that happened I thought it was a really nice phone, I do need to get around to getting it fixed/replaced though. My biggest grip is it isn't a stripped down android OS (I really grew to like that).

Hopefully the bolt is better than this Crap A9 I have. I wish I never bought it. I wanna go back to Samsung.

I actually like my A9. The only grip I have is the same one I have with the Bolt. I might consider an LG, but never Samsung again...

My Bolt was working great until the screen went dead (seems like an occasional HTC issue for several models). Before that happened I thought it was a really nice phone, I do need to get around to getting it fixed/replaced though. My biggest grip is it isn't a stripped down android OS (I really grew to like that).

I actually like my A9. The only grip I have is the same one I have with the Bolt. I might consider an LG, but never Samsung again...

The A9 battery is so so to me. Charging it multiple times a day stinks.

The A9 battery is so so to me. Charging it multiple times a day stinks.

Fair enough, the battery isn't that great (the Bolt's is much better). I guess it just hasn't really bothered me much...

Fair enough, the battery isn't that great (the Bolt's is much better). I guess it just hasn't really bothered me much...

With the Bolt its around 600 dollars or so on Sprint but, 399 on Boost.

With the Bolt its around 600 dollars or so on Sprint but, 399 on Boost.

I bought mine for $300 on easypay when they did 50% off around Thanksgiving time. They might have it on sale again.

• 2 weeks later...

Sending my Bolt back to HTC today to be fixed, under warranty if they can figure out what is wrong.  Any sort of long term use (5-10 minutes plus) causes it to get real hot and then eventually all cellular data ceases to function until I put it to sleep and let it sit and it cools down a bit.  This wasnt bad over the winter but now that it is warming up outside it is nothing but a hot paper weight.

If it wasnt for wifi calling, sprint zone (which is a non issue soon once they release it for all phones) and the premium caller id addon this would easily be the worst phone I have ever owned.

Techs on reddit recommended taking the device to a sprint store as this is a known issue among a long list of them but i do not have any repair centers close by enough where I want to gamble making the drive only to be told that there is no known problems.  I called sprint tech support and they said nothing is noted about the overheating problem.  I almost wish I had the well documented screen problem instead.

HTC was good about taking it back to fix but cautioned me that there could be a wait as they are waiting on parts for this device in their repair center, which should tell you something.  Felt so good to get back on to my Nexus 5X.

I received my Bolt on Monday, minus a SIM card. While I was waiting on the SIM card to come, I got the phone set up on wifi. It downloaded two updates and then said I was up-to-date. As soon as I activated it today when the SIM card came, it said I had a new system update (1.32.651.6). This isn't even showing up on Sprint's website. Any idea what's in it? It was around 650MB, so it would seem it's fairly substantial. I'm showing January 1, 2017 security update, which I think is the same as the one before, although I'm not 100% sure. 

I just got the update notification myself, it says system enhancements and bug updates.

e43d844ac899b7e3b89d005b3236e8b0.jpg

Yeah, that's always so vague. It would be nice to know exactly what was updated.

I've used this phone a few days now and I've noticed the antenna they put in this phone is terrible with B41. My dbm is about 10 lower than my S7 and my Note 5. The Bolt drops to B25 in my house when the S7 and Note 5 stay on B41 just fine.

The lower signal strength is only seen on B41 though. B25/B26 seem to be about the same as my other two phones. It's a shame HTC did this, considering this was supposed to be Sprint's "fastest phone." On a back to back speed test with the S7 in the same place at about 3am, the Bolt was in the upper 30s download, while the S7 was over 50 mbps on B41 single carrier.

I really wanted to like this phone, but with the slower speeds and with it dropping off B41 so quick, I'm going to a different phone. I may keep this as a backup since I got it so cheap, but I will need to sell either this or the Note 5 to finance my next phone. I've decided to try the S7 Edge. The S8+ is nice, but I can't justify the price tag.

Sent from my HTC Bolt

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, I have had the Bolt for about two weeks now and here are my impressions:

• The screen is easy to read, even with polarized sunglasses on, and responsive.
  • Battery life blows my HTC 10 out of the water. In all fairness though, my 10 is a year and a half old.
  • The phone itself is pretty smooth.
  • The earpiece could be louder
  • The Bolt is usually a step behind the 10 when it comes to switching between 3g and 4g

I will start checking signal check and compare it to the 10. Overall this is a very good phone especially for five dollars a month!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...