Sprint 2016 predictions

NYC126

Ok now that 2015 is ending it is time to look what 2016 brings for the Yellow carrier.

I want you guys to give an opinion of what will happen in 2016 regarding network, customers, Marketing etc. I want to hear a honest assessment without being bias.

Will 2016 be the year that Sprint surpass their competitors regarding network speeds due to carrier aggregation?

Will Sprint deploy 3x carrier aggregation on time? How about on the uplink? How about coverage? Will project cedar gets off the ground in the Montana area. Will Sprint finally start to steal valuable Postpaid handset customers from the others?

Also you can add some predictions regarding the overall wireless industry.

Roaming: When does Nationwide roaming w/ Verizon end? Will Sprint still keep some areas active after the Altell agreement fades? If it does end, and they decide not to renew any portions of it, Sprint's voice/data 3G coverage map is going to look quite small compared to its competitors.

Speeds: In the areas where B41 exists, it's already incredibly fast. However, the limitation is site density. If Sprint starts going full-throttle with densification, Sprint seriously can be the fastest and quite the most consistent network experience. 3xCA with 4x4 MIMO is going to really let Sprint shine. I'm hoping it will start deployment and roll out devices that support it by the end of 2016.

Coverage: Sprint's been quiet when it comes to expanding coverage. The other day I tweeted Marcelo regarding Yosemite getting some love since the other 3 carriers will offer coverage there, but no reply. The main reason I can see people sticking with AT&T/Verizon is because of the coverage advantage. I don't want Sprint to focus only on main markets, but rather rural, too. They have the LTE 800 to do it.

Densification: According to some sources here, densification should really ramp up network spending in February. Once this starts, we'll probably start keeping track of any small-cells or new macro sites here. So far, it appears this team has been consistent with their goals, but I don't like that they're being quiet about their current rollout progress, although I do understand that they don't want to be held liable if things go south.

• Like 10

Sprint is executing much more quickly on the marketing side.  However they are in a hyper-competitive arena.  The immediate litmus test is whether they can start stealing non-data hog customers from T-Mobile. 

CAx3 small cells/upgraded Clear sites are the key.  Will the new legal counsel be able to reach an acceptable resolution in the judge-shopped WiMAX case?  It is most important that they just more forward -- with or without these frequencies.

Sprint is making much better use of its existing frequencies for LTE 1900 in many markets with refarming CDMA.  A few markets may have 20x20 1900 LTE sites given spectrum purchases awaiting FCC approval.  15x15 may also appear along with more 10x10 and second carrier 5x5.  Sprint now appears to be focused on bandwidth needed per site rather than band coverage, which I see as operating with more business acumen.

Hopefully they are able to complete 1x800 and B26 LTE 800 issues -- even if they must use B26 LTE 800 3x3.

• Like 2

Sprint is making much better use of its existing frequencies for LTE 1900 in many markets with refarming CDMA.  A few markets may have 20x20 1900 LTE sites given spectrum purchases awaiting FCC approval.  15x15 may also appear along with more 10x10 and second carrier 5x5.

Do you know which markets this is or have a list of pending transactions?

My prediction is that AJ will continue to post bizarre and absurd media clips, which (in spite of the fact that they sometimes make us all want to strangle him) are almost always directly on point, and sometimes even funny. ;)

• Like 18

Do you know which markets this is or have a list of pending transactions?

Details here  (must be a Sponsor.)

• Like 2

I think carrying over the iPhone for Life program to other brands would be great.  There are Samsung die-hards out there also (me included). I would love to be able to easily upgrade to the newest Note or S model every year.

• Like 4

I don't know about predictions but I think it's an absolute must that Sprint find and execute a unified marketing strategy and stick with it even if the ride is a little bumpy.

The failed approach of throwing anything and everything to the wall to see what sticks is miserable from a Sprint-slappy-who-wants-to-see-the-company-succeed point of view.

• Like 6