Verizon Changes Their Logo

Arysyn

Soon after Google has changed their logo, Verizon has changed their own :

http://techcrunch.com/2015/09/02/double-checkmark-all-the-way/

Now, while I think the new logo looks too bland, I figured I'd post here asking others on S4GRU of their opinions regarding the logo changes lately.

old logo :
https://tctechcrunch2011.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/verizon_logo-100428509-large.jpg?w=600&h=360

new logo :
https://tctechcrunch2011.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/screen-shot-2015-09-02-at-12-41-01-pm.png?w=600&h=312

screen-shot-2015-09-02-at-1-49-22-pm.png

VZ is an it or a "person" -- both singular.  No "their."

AJ

• Like 1

Perhaps I'm overreacting in my thoughts about this, but the new Verizon logo reminds me of the changes to the Olive Garden logo. Just very bland and boring to look at, nothing exciting. The check mark now is just a small addition at the end of the logo, whereas before it was visually striking, including the length of the bottom part of the "z".

The logo doesn't look good to me, and though despite reminding me of the Olive Garden logo change I mentioned earlier, I'll admit that it isn't as bad, just bland and boring, perhaps dull as a better word, since logos are not necessarily meant to be entertaining.

Anyways, here is the AdvertisingAge article : http://adage.com/article/digital/verizon-revamps-logo/300190/

• Like 1

Aww. All those years of covering every Android device they ever sold with their logo in 72pt font are going to waste!

Kidding aside, my immediate reaction is "meh". It's a decent logo, but it isn't particularly eye-catching or anything. But since it's Verizon I guess it doesn't need to be. The new font is more in line with current design trends than the old one, but that's about it.

• Like 2

I'll get used to it, but I don't care for the new logo. TBH I don't care for alot of new logos... that style font (whatever it's called) that everyone goes with now I personally can't stand, and I think looks childish and stupid. 

• Like 2

Perhaps I'm overreacting in my thoughts about this, but the new Verizon logo reminds me of the changes to the Olive Garden logo. Just very bland and boring to look at, nothing exciting. The check mark now is just a small addition at the end of the logo, whereas before it was visually striking, including the length of the bottom part of the "z".

The logo doesn't look good to me, and though despite reminding me of the Olive Garden logo change I mentioned earlier, I'll admit that it isn't as bad, just bland and boring, perhaps dull as a better word, since logos are not necessarily meant to be entertaining.

Anyways, here is the AdvertisingAge article : http://adage.com/article/digital/verizon-revamps-logo/300190/

Well if anything reminds one of a godforsaken Olive Garden then said thing is, by definition, horrendous.
  • Like 1

The lower case, sans-serif logo, such a follower... Just like Ehrlich Bachman said... “Every f**king company in the Valley has lowercase letters. Why? Because it’s safe. But we aren’t going to do that.”

• Like 1

I figure some people may disagree with me about this, but there was a time Olive Garden seemed pretty good, although nothing comparable to Italian fine dining or anything amazing. This was back around 1991-1995 I remember going to Olive Garden often with my mother. Back then, they had a large fresh pasta machine in an area by the front, where a food prep person often was making fresh pasta.

However, I think it was around 1996 or so when Olive Garden started removing the fresh pasta machines and changed the menus from fresh, on the spot custom creations, to pre-made, over salted, cheese laden crap that takes a lot of work trying to get the staff to custom order anything, which even then still isn't fresh as it use to be.

The thing I also remember though, besides the fresh pasta machine food prep areas being removed, was the remodeling, changing over to a standardized concept, rather than one which at least to some degree was unique with all the different seating areas. Stuff was made more open, yet also somehow less spacious. Of course nowadays I go to Clara's in Woodridge for fresh pasta, among a few other local places.

I do wonder though if there will be more changes to Verizon soon. Verizon's rate plans have changed, and now the logo is too. It seems like when more than one thing is changed, then more changes follow, rather than if there just is one small change to begin with. It'll be interesting to find out...

• Like 2

Soon after Google has changed their logo, Verizon has changed their own :

http://techcrunch.com/2015/09/02/double-checkmark-all-the-way/

Now, while I think the new logo looks too bland, I figured I'd post here asking others on S4GRU of their opinions regarding the logo changes lately.

old logo :

https://tctechcrunch2011.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/verizon_logo-100428509-large.jpg?w=600&h=360

new logo :

https://tctechcrunch2011.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/screen-shot-2015-09-02-at-12-41-01-pm.png?w=600&h=312

screen-shot-2015-09-02-at-1-49-22-pm.png

Copy Cats! 

• Like 2

Perhaps they got tired of paying a high price for red ink and wanted to minimize the amount they use?  lol.

• Like 1

I figure some people may disagree with me about this, but there was a time Olive Garden seemed pretty good, although nothing comparable to Italian fine dining or anything amazing. This was back around 1991-1995 I remember going to Olive Garden often with my mother. Back then, they had a large fresh pasta machine in an area by the front, where a food prep person often was making fresh pasta.

However, I think it was around 1996 or so when Olive Garden started removing the fresh pasta machines and changed the menus from fresh, on the spot custom creations, to pre-made, over salted, cheese laden crap that takes a lot of work trying to get the staff to custom order anything, which even then still isn't fresh as it use to be.

The thing I also remember though, besides the fresh pasta machine food prep areas being removed, was the remodeling, changing over to a standardized concept, rather than one which at least to some degree was unique with all the different seating areas. Stuff was made more open, yet also somehow less spacious. Of course nowadays I go to Clara's in Woodridge for fresh pasta, among a few other local places.

I do wonder though if there will be more changes to Verizon soon. Verizon's rate plans have changed, and now the logo is too. It seems like when more than one thing is changed, then more changes follow, rather than if there just is one small change to begin with. It'll be interesting to find out...

The only good restaurant I remember from the early 90's was Red Lobster!!!!  I didnt even know olive garden existed at that point.  Prolly cause we didnt have them in our state in the early 90's...  haha.  Oh and cant really forget Ruby Tuesday!!!!   :)

• Like 2

Perhaps they got tired of paying a high price for red ink and wanted to minimize the amount they use? lol.

Well since Verizon lowered the prices somewhat, in some areas, depending on the amount of data and lines of course, Verizon must of figured it needed to spare money somewhere.

• Like 1

The only good restaurant I remember from the early 90's was Red Lobster!!!! I didnt even know olive garden existed at that point. Prolly cause we didnt have them in our state in the early 90's... haha. Oh and cant really forget Ruby Tuesday!!!! :)

This also reminded me of TGI Fridays, which was good, up until sometime in the mid 2000s, when they removed alot of their fresh food prep stations, according to a friend I knew who use to work there. Much of the fresh food was changed to premade frozen stuff.

• Like 2

Well since Verizon lowered the prices somewhat, in some areas, depending on the amount of data and lines of course, Verizon must of figured it needed to spare money somewhere.

Well even changing the font size to one size smaller would save them millions!  I kid you not.  

I know off topic, but a high school student did a study on how much the government would save if they were to change the font used in official correspondence from times new roman 14 to either 1 size smaller in times new roman or a completely different font it would save the government tens of millions of dollars in both ink and paper.  And I can tell you from experience being in the navy we go thru paper like crazy!  Take it we do recycle most of it, but there is so much waste just because of the size of font/style/specific formats they require everything to be in.  Its ridiculous.  I wish i could find the dang article.  It was a high school students science project I believe.  But for whatever reason Uncle Sam would not buy off on it and still to this day continues to waste more and more ink/paper/trees!  lol.

**UPDATE**

here is the link.  it was actually $234 million that this would of saved the govt a year!  So i can think that this would be a reason why verizon would change their logo as well.  lol.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/27/living/student-money-saving-typeface-garamond-schools/

• Like 2

Well if anything reminds one of a godforsaken Olive Garden then said thing is, by definition, horrendous.

At least, the salad is good.

AJ

• Like 2

At least, the salad is good.

AJ

I like the chicken and gnocchi soup!  Its usually pretty delicious!

True....because it's the only thing natural and fresh on the menu.

Give me a salad with sliced tomatoes, whole olives, whole peperoncini, and Italian style dressing, then I am happy.

AJ

• Like 5

In some thread somewhere, a member posted a pic of the quintessential VZW "logo phone."  It does not show up in a Google image query.  But we should try to dig back up that one.

AJ

• Like 1