Verizon Changes Their Logo

Arysyn

I like the chicken and gnocchi soup!  Its usually pretty delicious!

Give me a salad with sliced tomatoes, whole olives, whole peperoncini, and Italian style dressing, then I am happy.

AJ

Good idea. Enough of that... ugly logo is yuck. 

Back to the food chat!

greek-salad-july-2013b.jpg?t=1426917130

• Like 2

For those who haven't seen this, Legere's trolling of the new logo on Twitter. I'm not a Legere fan, but I actually like it.

CN7-r8jU8AAsx1t.jpg

• Like 7

For those who haven't seen this, Legere's trolling of the new logo on Twitter. I'm not a Legere fan, but I actually like it.

Not bad.  But we all know Legere did not create that himself.  His PR team did for him to tweet.  He is just the frontman for the Magenta mafia.  The T-Mobile Gawdfather.

AJ

• Like 2

So, this is something that I've spent a lot of time digesting. Logo, identity work, branding, etc, are all in my design wheelhouse.

This logo is, simply put, mailed in.

The type is set in a very heavy weight of Helvetica, literally the safest typeface in the entire universe of typefaces to use for anything, ever. The kerning (spacing between the letters) was hand-set, but that's neither here nor there. The justification for the check (is that a checkmark Emoji?!) at the end almost made me spit beer through my nose:

... the checkmark, the universal symbol for getting things done, uniquely expresses the reliability of Verizon ...

The sad part is that the ad agency that designed this monstrosity, Wieden + Kennedy, probably made $10+ million on the new identity. It's junior creative-level work that W+K was able to charge out the nose for because they have Old Spice, Nike, KFC (that new campaign with Col. Sanders? That's W+K!), Coke, ABC, Delta Airlines, ESPN, Audi, etc. on their client roster.

• Like 5

The only good restaurant I remember from the early 90's was Red Lobster!!!! I didnt even know olive garden existed at that point. Prolly cause we didnt have them in our state in the early 90's... haha. Oh and cant really forget Ruby Tuesday!!!! :)

Red lobster?? Oh, wow. I can't even respond to that. It's barely even "food."

But that Verizon logo...seriously..WTF? What, exactly, are they going for? This is a questionable move, to be sure. If not straight up bizarre.

• Like 2

Seems that the most well liked food Olive Garden serves, is soup, salad, and bread sticks, which are fine, I suppose. Just that I expect better from an Italian restaurant than that, which for whatever reason, Olive Garden has done well at marketing their brand image on those few items. As for me however, I want fresh pasta too! Oh, regarding Red Lobster, definitely not for me. I use to live in Naples, Florida and have memories of the wonderful seafood there, which even make me not care much for the "flown in fresh daily" seafood restaurants here in the Chicago area, let alone Red Lobster.

I'm glad to see that many members here on S4GRU are in agreement with me regarding the Verizon logo. It appears even John Legere agrees with me about it at least in his way of making a mockery of the logo, rather than just stating his opinion. Either that, or as it has been mentioned here possibly being his pr team. I'll admit though that I think T-Mobile's logo looks a lot better than Verizon's new logo. I'm quite surprised Verizon is making these changes when they are doing pretty well for themselves. Sure, an easier to understand rate plan is nice, but then this new logo and whatever else they may have planned, is quite odd.

• Like 1

I remember when Fridays was good, we used to eat there alot as a family when I was younger! Then they started meddling with something that worked and now nobody I know likes that place anymore... Last time I ate there was 5 years ago just to see if it had improved.

I remember Olive Garden being better then it is now too, though I've eaten there recently and it wasn't terrible. Just gotta know what to order and stick with something not cheesy or pasta-y 

We used to have a Ruby Tuesdays in the mall, I used to go for the Bison burger and it was delicious! I miss them.

Ever since the dawn of strip-it-to-the-bones cost cutting after the recession started I have really grown disdainful of big box chains and chain restaurants. There's only a tiny handful of chain restaurants I really like...some of them not in my area or used to be and left...                 ...Anyone know Schlotzky's? 

...Anyone know Schlotzky's? 

Our Schlotzsky's closed a few years ago.  Its vacant location was filled fairly quickly with a Mr. Goodcents -- even though we already had several in the city.

Down the street, we also had a Jersey Mike's for a short time.  It failed, so a Subway relocated from across the street and down the block into that location.  Then, a Jimmy John's renovated and moved into the former Subway location.

Half a mile down from the next major intersection was a Quiznos.  But it was open for months at a time, then closed for months at a time.  Probably tax issues.  Now, it is defunct.

Talk about a deli sandwich fustercluck...

AJ

• Like 5

Our Schlotzsky's closed a few years ago.  Its vacant location was filled fairly quickly with a Mr. Goodcents -- even though we already had several in the city.

Down the street, we also had a Jersey Mike's for a short time.  It failed, so a Subway relocated from across the street and down the block into that location.  Then, a Jimmy John's renovated and moved into the former Subway location.

Half a mile down from the next major intersection was a Quiznos.  But it was open for months at a time, then closed for months at a time.  Probably tax issues.  Now, it is defunct.

Talk about a deli sandwich fustercluck...

AJ

Schlotzskys opened around me I think in '99 or 2000 and I did like it quite a bit, then they closed in 2003. I got reacquainted with them in of all places, Durango, CO. I missed them! After that I made it a point to stop at as many as possible on our trip back home. Oh, another place I miss and desperately want back is Moes! that closed at the end of 2008. I could eat at that place once a week for months and never get sick of it. Can't say that about Chipotle or Qdoba. 

We had a Quiznos and then Jersey Mikes took over the spot. They seem to do ok. 

Schlotzskys opened around me I think in '99 or 2000 and I did like it quite a bit, then they closed in 2003. I got reacquainted with them in of all places, Durango, CO. I missed them! After that I made it a point to stop at as many as possible on our trip back home. Oh, another place I miss and desperately want back is Moes! that closed at the end of 2008. I could eat at that place once a week for months and never get sick of it. Can't say that about Chipotle or Qdoba. 

The food talk is infecting numerous threads now.  I blame Robert.  He identifies himself as a "foodie."

:P

AJ

The food talk is infecting numerous threads now.  I blame Robert.  He identifies himself as a "foodie."

:P

AJ

I know, there's been an epidemic of this lately. I try to buck the trend and change the subject back but my fingers keep typing about food instead! I guess this is what happens when a "foodie" runs a tech forum. Fellow food/tech nerds must attract... 

Schlotzskys in Orland Park was my first job 14 years ago. They had awesome sandwiches.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

• Like 1

The new WordArt in Office 2016.  Make a new corporation logo while sitting on the can!

Yes Verizon's new logo is very weak compared to Google's New Logo. The checkmark might fall off the end :)

"Time to change our logo. Lets start by changing the font. Then lets stop by changing the font...Oh no where does the checkmark go??????"

I will like Verizon's logo more if they lower Sprint's Roaming Rates and Sprint gives us more roaming voice and Data Allowance.

• Like 2

Personally I absolutely hate the new Verizon logo... I think that it looks absolutely boring and stupid.

I agree that the new Verizon logo looks like it was simply created with Word Art.

On the other hand, I actually like the new Google logo.

• Like 3

Perhaps they got tired of paying a high price for red ink and wanted to minimize the amount they use?  lol.

OH NOESS!!!! Now Verizon has to delay its phone launch longer because it has to rebrand its upcoming phones with its new logo plastered all over the phone.

• Like 3

I'll take Jersey Mike's over Subway anyway. #13 with extra pepperoncini please!

Schlotzsky's, Jersey Mike's, Quiznos, and Qdoba each had one location here and all failed.  I cannot explain it.  I thought all had better food in some ways than the obvious competition that is still here.

AJ

• Like 1

Red lobster?? Oh, wow. I can't even respond to that. It's barely even "food."

But that Verizon logo...seriously..WTF? What, exactly, are they going for? This is a questionable move, to be sure. If not straight up bizarre.

What Red Lobster does have is an amazing Baked Potato Soup.  They use a bechamel sauce as a base, and it is delicious.  If I have to go there because who I am dining with, I will get a bowl of the soup and a caesar salad.  But their chicken cajun pasta isn't bad.

• Like 1

What Red Lobster does have is an amazing Baked Potato Soup. They use a bechamel sauce as a base, and it is delicious. If I have to go there because who I am dining with, I will get a bowl of the soup and a caesar salad. But their chicken cajun pasta isn't bad.

Personally I have to say that I am a sucker for the Cheddar Bay Biscuits [emoji2]

• Like 4