Gigaom.com is shutting down? Whoa!

bigsnake49

"Gigaom is winding down and its assets are now controlled by the company’s lenders. It is not how you want the story of a company you founded to end. 

Every founder starts on a path — hopeful and optimistic, full of desire to build something that helps change the world for the better, reshape an industry and hopefully become independent, both metaphorically and financially. Business, much like life, is not a movie and not everyone gets to have a story book ending. 

There will be time for postmortems, but not today. Today, I want to thank all the people who make (and have helped make) Gigaom. Their role in this journey was what really made it all worth it. They are great people and they will all do great work wherever they go. I want to thank our investors who believed in the business long before it became fashionable. And most importantly, I want to thank you dear readers for coming along on this trip of a lifetime. 

I might have left Gigaom, the company, over a year ago, but Gigaom, the  idea still lives in my heart.

Goodnight sweetheart, I still love you!"

http://om.co/2015/03/09/a-statement-about-gigaom/

I will miss them

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 1

My emotions aside, I cannot say that I am surprised at the outcome after Om Malik let go of the reins.  AnandTech is likely next on the chopping block.

The demise of Gigaom will affect many talented people.  But more than human collateral damage, I worry about information destruction.  Hopefully, Gigaom created content will live on in some way, shape, or form for years to come.

AJ

• Like 3

I'm sorry to see Gigaom shutting down. A very good resource that I used to look at all the time.

If you "used to look at [Gigaom] all the time," that could be the reason it is shutting down, Josh.  If only you had continued to visit Gigaom regularly, maybe it could have lived.

AJ

• Like 1

If you "used to look at [Gigaom] all the time," that could be the reason it is shutting down, Josh.  If only you had continued to visit Gigaom regularly, maybe it could have lived.

AJ

I still look at it on and off, but no site do I spend as much time on as I do here on S4GRU. Gigaom had some great articles for the Mac. I guess I should go look them up and pdf them.

If this happens I might just find another hobby and give up on tech.

Damn!  I was looking forward to the launch of NickelTech.

Even better, 5.5.5.5 could have been your IP address.

AJ

• Like 2

It's launch would rival that of the Facebook phone.

Wow, that successful, that quickly?  Impressive.

Everyone, herald the launch of a tech media revolution.  NickelTech -- available exclusively on the Microsoft Kin One.

262698-microsoft-kin-one-verizon-wireles

And it's gone...

AJ

• Like 1

Wow, that successful, that quickly?  Impressive.

Everyone, herald the launch of a tech media revolution.  NickelTech -- available exclusively on the Microsoft Kin One.

262698-microsoft-kin-one-verizon-wireles

And it's gone...

AJ

I try not to pick on the Kin because it got screwed over by Verizon.

I try not to pick on the Kin because it got screwed over by Verizon.

I hope VZW at least had the common decency to inform its next of Kin.

AJ

• Like 3

I hope VZW at least had the common decency to inform its next of Kin.

AJ

If Gigaom had "witty" wordplay like that, it might have saved the site.

If Gigaom had "witty" wordplay like that, it might have saved the site.

That and trying not to go into esoteric technology like Hadoop and its offshoots. It kind of limits your audience. Of course if you're a practitioner of Big Data you loved it!

Edited by bigsnake49

I ask this sincerely, but how long had it been around? For whatever reason I had never even heard of the site until within my first year here on S4GRU.

Using Moto X² on Tapatalk

That and trying not to go into esoteric technology like Hadoop and its offshoots. It kind of limits your audience. Of course if you're a practitioner of Big Data you loved it!

And you probably read Datacenter Knowledge.

I feel a lot better now. It sounds like the news site was actually doing OK financially.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/19/technology/personaltech/digital-media-darlings-unfazed-by-the-fall-of-the-news-site-gigaom.html

https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/gigaom

$8M / Series F Feb 20, 2014

They raised $8m during their last round of financing in February, 2014 and blew through it all in about a year. I'm not sure I would say that they were doing OK.

https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/gigaom

$8M / Series F Feb 20, 2014

They raised $8m during their last round of financing in February, 2014 and blew through it all in about a year. I'm not sure I would say that they were doing OK.

Did you read the part where they weren't spending correctly? that was a key point of the article.

I'm not sure that conclusion can be drawn based off that article.

It can't, I'm kind of reading between the lines.