CDMA carriers use more LTE data than GSM.

Ascertion

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/mobidia-verizon-sprint-customers-use-lte-data-more-att-t-mobile-subs/2014-11-19

I think this is no surprise because there's more of a push to get speeds up from EvDo rather than HSPA+ that the GSM carriers have.

Sent from my LG-LS980

Makes sense big red V dominates so looks good to me lol. Although it says "98% for big red V, 93% Sprint, 86% At&t, T-mobile n/a" "....percent of their cellular data consumed on LTE..." The At&t and Sprint I think are off because at%t has more LTE then Sprint currently, we are not far behind anymore but just seems like this article is just a little off. Maybe because I never go to that site much because I have come across incorrect information before. lol

It makes sense, considering that in addition to LTE, HSPA+21 and HSPA+42 still offer respectable user experience in this age of heavy mobile video consumption.

CDMA operators largely have to rely on LTE layer for similar experience.

10 gb a month? That's a long way from the often cited 2 gb a month average.

Makes me feel a little less guilty!

I think as well the previous average included all phone users including feature phones and dumb phones which likely drove down the average. Looking solely at smart phones or even just as the smart phone penetration grows quickly that average will jump up a lot. Plus for two of the carriers it is tough to look at how their pricing suppressed usage. Only being able to afford 2GB a month and not wanting to pay overages probably held back a lot of people from fully using their phones when off wifi. A certain two providers probably wanted to keep the average low as well as it allowed them to infer that people wanting to use their smartphones more should pay exponentially more, allowing them to rake in more profits. To illustrate the point, go on verizon.com (after sprinkling yourself with holy water) and try the build a plan. They label 1GB as average use and 2GB as heavy use. Seriously? Yet they offer plans all the way to 100GB. It's just marketing spin to position the products to gain the maximum revenue. They get you in thinking it will only be X per month for 1GB then when you find yourself using 6 GB they can make out you are just using more than should be expected but will happily sell you the extra for <insert silly number> so what you thought was cheap is in reality a lot more expensive. 

Personally I would think 1GB per line is low, 3-4 is medium, somewhere around 5-10 is average and you'd have to be in the 15-20GB for actual heavy usage. And yes, I'm sure theres people out there who only use 1.44MB a month who will chime in that the rest of us are data hogs that are causing global warming etc.

• Like 1

It looks like the 10GB is total including wifi. 2GB cellular and over 8 GB on wifi. What i saw that was neat 3g phones used less wifi data.

Likely because people went through their monthly limit in just a few days on LTE. ;)

Sent from my LG-LS980

• Like 1

Likely because people went through their monthly limit in just a few days on LTE. ;)

Sent from my LG-LS980

That wouldn't have to do with the extra 4 GB of wifi data that lte smartphones use over 3g phones. They also show that lte smartphones use 1 GB more cellular data than 3G phones. Look at the bar graph they total wifi and cellular and have two seperate colors to show where each are. I believe it's either the people who want to use their phone will usually have an lte phone or people with 3g phones are tired of waiting on their network so they use a laptop more at home. 

My phone used to be on LTE most of the time but it is on 3G EVDO more and more lately.

That being said, my 3G is decent here, at about 7-800Kbps average, but I think that my standard of decent must be lower than most of the forum's.  I am happy with 400Kbps.  I do parts orders, email, reference stuff, real business work.  I don't care about entertainment, and like it or not, entertainment is far more intensive than business work.  This is one reason I don't mind metered billing.  If tweens want to squander the company's bandwidth with their netflix and youtube movies, I have no issue with them getting big bills for this.  The more they spend, the less they waste, and the faster my services run.  I couldn't care less about "rich content" on my smartphone.  I want my browser to be responsive.

If I could find the stupid kid watching stupid songs on youtube that is keeping my last minute orders from going through on time, I would put his phone in the garbage.  Youtube doesn't help the economy.  Business does.

My phone used to be on LTE most of the time but it is on 3G EVDO more and more lately.

That being said, my 3G is decent here, at about 7-800Kbps average, but I think that my standard of decent must be lower than most of the forum's. I am happy with 400Kbps. I do parts orders, email, reference stuff, real business work. I don't care about entertainment, and like it or not, entertainment is far more intensive than business work. This is one reason I don't mind metered billing. If tweens want to squander the company's bandwidth with their netflix and youtube movies, I have no issue with them getting big bills for this. The more they spend, the less they waste, and the faster my services run. I couldn't care less about "rich content" on my smartphone. I want my browser to be responsive.

If I could find the stupid kid watching stupid songs on youtube that is keeping my last minute orders from going through on time, I would put his phone in the garbage. Youtube doesn't help the economy. Business does.

At home I'm on B41 all day long, at work I'm constantly bouncing between B25 and B26 and 3G because B26 is not optimized yet. It's been about 4 months since I've gotten my Nexus 5 but B26 sucks right now and I know if it was optimized B26 would be great. Mind you I don't even get B25 at home, it's B41 or nothing but crappy 3G.

Sent from my Rooted Nexus 5 running Android 5.0 Lollipop

That being said, my 3G is decent here, at about 7-800Kbps average, but I think that my standard of decent must be lower than most of the forum's.  I am happy with 400Kbps.  I do parts orders, email, reference stuff, real business work.  I don't care about entertainment, and like it or not, entertainment is far more intensive than business work.  This is one reason I don't mind metered billing.  If tweens want to squander the company's bandwidth with their netflix and youtube movies, I have no issue with them getting big bills for this.  The more they spend, the less they waste, and the faster my services run.  I couldn't care less about "rich content" on my smartphone.  I want my browser to be responsive.

If I could find the stupid kid watching stupid songs on youtube that is keeping my last minute orders from going through on time, I would put his phone in the garbage.  Youtube doesn't help the economy.  Business does.

I will smart you one further (don't ask where I got that from). My phone has become an essential part of my tool box. I use it for translation, medical consults, reference lookup, drug inquiries. For these purposes I don't need a bunch of bandwidth. i just need it to work. But I do use netflix and youtube during my down periods so having the bandwidth at these times is nice.

• Like 1

I will smart you one further (don't ask where I got that from). My phone has become an essential part of my tool box. I use it for translation, medical consults, reference lookup, drug inquiries. For these purposes I don't need a bunch of bandwidth. i just need it to work. But I do use netflix and youtube during my down periods so having the bandwidth at these times is nice.

Thats pretty much where I am at also, although a different profession. One good thing I noticed which would negate others worries is that I believe both sprint and tmo prioritize metered data over unmetered on the network which seems fair. So nobody watching youtube on an unlimited connection would slow down anybody on a metered connection. Seems like a fair compromise!

Edit: I went to double check on the prioritization and it seems that they 'may' do this so my comment may be in error, apologies if it is. I will wait for someone with better knowledge to chip in. Tmo does have a policy of deprioritizing those in the top 3% although they again state it's a 'may', but its explicitly mentioned in the t&c. Sprint mentions top 5%. I could have sworn they also explicitly prioritized metered data in congested cells. Maybe I'm just getting old!

Thats pretty much where I am at also, although a different profession. One good thing I noticed which would negate others worries is that I believe both sprint and tmo prioritize metered data over unmetered on the network which seems fair. So nobody watching youtube on an unlimited connection would slow down anybody on a metered connection. Seems like a fair compromise!

Edit: I went to double check on the prioritization and it seems that they 'may' do this so my comment may be in error, apologies if it is. I will wait for someone with better knowledge to chip in. Tmo does have a policy of deprioritizing those in the top 3% although they again state it's a 'may', but its explicitly mentioned in the t&c. Sprint mentions top 5%. I could have sworn they also explicitly prioritized metered data in congested cells. Maybe I'm just getting old!

The contract on the My Way and Framily plans sucks for the user, data-wise.  I will stay Everything Share as long as I possibly can, since it (according to Sprint) does not prioritize anything selectively.

There are lots of smartphones that TMO selling right now are not LTE capable while most of Sprint smartphone are

The difference, of course, is that T-Mobile's non-LTE phones are capable of using T-Mobile's HSPA+ network, which offers a decent experience for people too. Sprint doesn't have that option, so it pushes harder to upsell to LTE devices.

As of today, Verizon has 300Mbps of deployed aggregated LTE radio capacity in New York City market. Just launched additional 10MHz FDD LTE in Band 2. At some point, they'll need to start splitting cell and densifying.

10MHz FDD in Band 13

20MHz FDD in Band 4

10Mhz FDD in Band 2

Crazy.

GhfgoqYl.png

Used Nexus 5 with Verizon SIM for Data Only LTE access to Band 2, 4 exclusively.

• Like 2

And they'll probably get more AWS-3 from the auction.

Yea, they'll probably wind up with the 10x10 AWS-3 J block in most markets. They also have CLR 850 they can eventually refarm.

The difference, of course, is that T-Mobile's non-LTE phones are capable of using T-Mobile's HSPA+ network, which offers a decent experience for people too. Sprint doesn't have that option, so it pushes harder to upsell to LTE devices.

In my experience, TMO's HSPA+ is not as fast as it claims. The real speed is like EVDO's speed as if you are the only person parked at that tower.

• Like 1

In my experience, TMO's HSPA+ is not as fast as it claims. The real speed is like EVDO's speed as if you are the only person parked at that tower.

My Tmo HSPA+ speeds are highly variable.  From 50kbps on rural sites without upgraded backhaul to 20Mbps on lightly used urban sites with Dual Carrier.  But on the whole, if I am being honest, the average Tmo HSPA+ speed is higher than Sprint's best 3G EVDO speed.

• Like 2

That depends on where you are. Where I've been, T-Mobile's HSPA+ easily hits 10-15Mbps all the time, with sometimes peaking at 20Mbps. If T-Mobile has compressed its WCDMA carrier sizes, though, you will see some drops in performance.

However, in general, the experience is more of a backhaul thing than an airlink thing.