Apple iPad Air 2 Owners Thread

burnout8488

None. Switching carriers on an iPad is no different than switching wifi networks. It's just a different data connection. iMessage doesn't care where the data comes from - it only matters on a phone because the phone number switches when you swap SIMs.

Yep.  And this is why the so called "Apple SIM" is not coming to an iPhone near you -- not anytime soon.  As long as traditional circuit switched voice remains in place, think of the routing difficulties.  Some of you are old enough to recall the days shortly before and after WLNP -- if you wanted to port your number, the transition took time and was not seamless.

AJ

• Like 2

The only thing that I hate is that ATT is giving 3GB for $30. Sprints is $35. These tablet plans need to be redone on Sprint.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Yes! Launched in South Africa yesterday. No announcement. Our carriers didn't even know it was out and have no plans for it. Rather than wait for the carrier plans to be published, I'm gonna buy cash and do a trade-in deal on my iPad 4 64GB LTE+Wi-Fi.

Whoop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I held this thing today and played with it while at the Apple Store. Oh my... It's so thin. It still amazes me how thin it was. I did something bad though. With the structural issues and that thing being even thinner than the iPhone 6, but spread out over a lot more surface area.... It's pretty easy to apply light pressure and you can see the screen acting up....

I didn't do damage because I'm not an asshole, I just wanted to see how strong it is. Let's just say I'll stick with my iPad 4 for a while. Super thin at the compromise of strength...and I really didn't even try to bend it. Very lightly.

Hope Apple beefs it up next year with some titanium or something

Sent from my iPhone 6 on Crapatalk

• Like 2

Funny you should say that. At my company I work in R&D. We're currently in the process of preparing several various grades of titanium sheet for either the manufacturers directly or companies that supply to the manufacturers for Apple and HTC. Apparently Apple has been none too happy with this 'Bendgate' controversy and is considering moving from anodized aluminum to titanium for a the body of a future iPhone Plus. I don't know if it would be for next year, but I'd guess the 2016 model would be more likely. I also don't know if it would only be for the Plus, I also don't know if it would transfer to the iPad as well.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Funny you should say that. At my company I work in R&D. We're currently in the process of preparing several various grades of titanium sheet for either the manufacturers directly or companies that supply to the manufacturers for Apple and HTC. Apparently Apple has been none too happy with this 'Bendgate' controversy and is considering moving from anodized aluminum to titanium for a the body of a future iPhone Plus. I don't know if it would be for next year, but I'd guess the 2016 model would be more likely. I also don't know if it would only be for the Plus, I also don't know if it would transfer to the iPad as well.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Boy, Vegas surprises me again. :lol: Hopefully your company doesn't go thru what GT Advanced went thru with the sapphire deal.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Boy, Vegas surprises me again. :lol: Hopefully your company doesn't go thru what GT Advanced went thru with the sapphire deal.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

I doubt it. While being a supplier to Apple would be a nice feather in the cap, either way our largest customers will continue to be GE, Rolls Royce, Pratt & Whitney, etc. Plus, to supply them we wouldn't have to come up with some new method to produce the product. The company has been producing titanium since WWII, we've pretty much got the process nailed at this point.  ;)

What's amazing to me though is that in this race by Apple and others to make these phones and tablets thinner and thinner, nobody thought ahead of time, "Gee, maybe we should start using a stronger material to compensate for the thinness". Instead they waited until the 6+ (allegedly) started flexing and bending to figure it out. Oh well, better late than never I guess. 

• Like 1

I held this thing today and played with it while at the Apple Store. Oh my... It's so thin. It still amazes me how thin it was. I did something bad though. With the structural issues and that thing being even thinner than the iPhone 6, but spread out over a lot more surface area.... It's pretty easy to apply light pressure and you can see the screen acting up....

I didn't do damage because I'm not an asshole, I just wanted to see how strong it is. Let's just say I'll stick with my iPad 4 for a while. Super thin at the compromise of strength...and I really didn't even try to bend it. Very lightly.

I don't get the thought process behind the quest to make these devices thinner and thinner, and this goes for pretty much every manufacturer. I would much rather have a slightly thicker/heavier phone/tablet if it allowed a larger battery and better durability.
  • Like 4

I don't get the thought process behind the quest to make these devices thinner and thinner, and this goes for pretty much every manufacturer. I would much rather have a slightly thicker/heavier phone/tablet if it allowed a larger battery and better durability.

Its all a spec war. If apple didnt change a spec it would look to similar to the past. I do wish theyd keep the same thicknes and get better battery life in todsys devices. Most put a case on their device, so thickness isnt really a concern.

Picked up my white Air 2 64GB LTE+Wi-Fi at 2pm today. Got a 10% discount off the iStore price through my company. Sweet.

Now to camp till midnight so I can switch to my unused "midnight" mobile data to do an iCloud restore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ugh. So the SIM tool changed. It's now smaller and round. I used the old "standard" one not having any idea it had changed and graunched the metal. :(

Ugh. So the SIM tool changed. It's now smaller and round. I used the old "standard" one not having any idea it had changed and graunched the metal. :(

Ouch! That's not good. I had to look up that word you used. Never heard that one before.

Luckily it really is just the little pin hole that got damaged. I'd like to order a new SIM tray to restore order. :(

Here's the two SIM tools side by side. The old square pin damages the pin hole in the SIM tray.

b353aa96d6172682934f2da2bfd67bb1.jpg

Another thing I've just noticed. The new charger is 10W compared to 12W on my iPad 4. Anyone able to explain this, as well as implications of using 12W?

Luckily it really is just the little pin hole that got damaged. I'd like to order a new SIM tray to restore order. :(

Here's the two SIM tools side by side. The old square pin damages the pin hole in the SIM tray.

b353aa96d6172682934f2da2bfd67bb1.jpg

Another thing I've just noticed. The new charger is 10W compared to 12W on my iPad 4. Anyone able to explain this, as well as implications of using 12W?

You can use any size charger provided it outputs the correct voltage and has the minimum required amp output. Higher amp output will allow the device to charge faster if it is capable of drawing additional current.

Don't you wonder though why the need for a new charger when they could have used the old 12W?

2A is probably sufficient for the device, 2.4A will just allow it to charge faster if the charging circuit is capable of drawing the extra current. Remember, it's voltage that fries stuff. You could have a 200A power supply, as long as its the same 5V, the device is only going to draw what it can. The new ipad air has a smaller battery than last year's model, that might have something to do with why they provided a different charger.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to see band information on the new iPads?

I think that's an iOS limitation on all iPads - as far as I know, there's no access to field test mode on any of them (like on the iPhone for example). Very annoying!

Edited by GoWireless

Is it possible to see band information on the new iPads?

I think that's an iOS limitation on all iPads - as far as I know, there's no access to field test mode on any of them (like on the iPhone for example). Very annoying!

As of now, there is no way of accessing Band information on an iPad without jailbreaking said device and installing Signal 2 "if you purchased it in the past". Newer iOS versions are "not supported".

• 2 weeks later...

I received a 16GB WiFi iPad2 for a 10 year anniversary gift from work the other day.  I took it back to Best Buy for a store credit so I can upgrade with more storage after the first of the year.  I looked around the store while I was there and was surprised that the cellular model at Best Buy was only 30 dollars more than WiFi only.  I may need to invest in one since the cost is not that much more though I will not activate the cellular part at this time just in case I need it in the future.  Already have the hotspot active on my iPhone.

I received a 16GB WiFi iPad2 for a 10 year anniversary gift from work the other day.  I took it back to Best Buy for a store credit so I can upgrade with more storage after the first of the year.  I looked around the store while I was there and was surprised that the cellular model at Best Buy was only 30 dollars more than WiFi only.  I may need to invest in one since the cost is not that much more though I will not activate the cellular part at this time just in case I need it in the future.  Already have the hotspot active on my iPhone.

I'm still waiting for them to give free hotspot to ED plans. <3 I feel it'll happen.

Just sold my iPad 4 and when putting everything together, I checked for the SIM pin tool. Imagine my surprise when I saw the "newer" rounded one was already sold with the iPad 4. Oops. :(