Samsung Galaxy Note 4 User Thread

COZisBack

Sheesh, not this again. Can we put the flagellation over SVLTE to bed once and for all? Here are the issues:

• Single RF path was not as much of a "business decision" as it was an engineering choice. It performs better and allows the designs of nearly all other handsets in the world also to be used for Sprint.
  • SVDO is gone. EV-DO is not a simultaneous possibility -- because it shares the same RF path with CDMA1X or LTE or both.
  • For SVLTE, VZW requires specially designed handsets that limit performance and selection.
  • However, not all VZW handsets support SVLTE. Many do not.
  • Most people do not notice simultaneous voice and data capability (or lack thereof).
  • Finally, if you MUST have simultaneous voice and data, you DO have options: use Wi-Fi, use VoIP, wait for VoLTE, or go find another provider.
AJ

Well I disagree about performance as my note 2 outperformed a lot of devices. I would disagree that most people don't notice, I'd say they accept it which I dont. And thanks I'm well aware of my choice as a consumer.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Well I disagree about performance as my note 2 outperformed a lot of devices. I would disagree that most people don't notice, I'd say they accept it which I dont. And thanks I'm well aware of my choice as a consumer.

I would actually say that most people really don't notice. There will always be a subset that would like it, but the majority of people (note: not people on these or other tech forums) don't think about. Even for me, there have only been two times that I can think of when I really wished I could look something up while I was on a phone call. People use phones as phones less and less all of the time, so it's become a non-issue for many.

While I've never used a Note 2, I will say that LTE performance jumped considerably on the devices I use when the switch was made to single path radios (HTC, LG).

• Like 1

I would actually say that most people really don't notice. There will always be a subset that would like it, but the majority of people (note: not people on these or other tech forums) don't think about. Even for me, there have only been two times that I can think of when I really wished I could look something up while I was on a phone call. People use phones as phones less and less all of the time, so it's become a non-issue for many.

While I've never used a Note 2, I will say that LTE performance jumped considerably on the devices I use when the switch was made to single path radios (HTC, LG).

Well I'd say the first part is debatable. I have had the gn2 the N5 and now the gn4 and the gn2 heavily out performs this thing as far as RF performance. Now I will say that maybe once the network is better optimized my experience mag improve. But for now I'm sticking with my assessment.

For me, I have been on a few calls where I have been on hold for a long time. It would have been nice on those occasions to have data just to pass the time. I have a prepaid hotspot that I take with me on trips so if I'm on the phone for more than a few minutes, I can turn the hotspot on to keep using my phone for GPS purposes. I use Waze and it can go for at least 10 minutes or so with no data.

The hotspot is nice to have but I know not everyone has that option. I wouldn't buy one just for that reason either. I have it mainly for my tablet and occasionally my laptop for when I'm not near wifi or when I need something a little more secure than unsecured wifi.

Sent from my Note 4.

You guys know that LTE Voice is coming within 6 months anyway? Sprint was saying it is coming, but they're poking their feet on it. Mid-2015 is the time frame.

Hope to god this is built into Note 4, requiring nothing more than a firmware update. This is what Verizon is using, LTE Voice, which enables data/voice simultaneously and HD Voice all in one.. Note 4 does have the capability, but Sprint might decide not to enable it. :/

There's a work around to just use a voice over IP app today in place of Sprint's mobile phone service as well. Google Hangouts / Voice does it for free. The app is fully Voice over IP today.

Also the new Note 4 that's currently only out in S. Korea, looks freaking amazing. If deployed in America, it has the ability to use 800MHz, 1900MHz, and 2.5GHz all at once, full tri-mode carrier aggregation!! The way this will work on Sprint is, the connection seamlessly connects to whichever network, combining the data of all three spectrums, so you get like 20Mbps from 800MHz, 20Mbps from 1900MHz, and a full 70Mbps or higher from the 2.5GHz, all on one connection, giving you 110Mbps. As you move, perhaps some networks drop out but once in range again the spectrums combine.

Sprint's plan I heard is also to have several channels of 2.5GHz open so you'll have 2x2.5GHz networks at first, then next year three networks. If I am not mistaken. The 2.5GHz network should combine itself for up to 210Mbps..

Edited by wise

I wouldn't hang hopes on VoLTE. Haven't heard any updates officially or unofficially. Mid 2015 was the earliest possible. We only saw an early programming document.

• Like 1

You guys know that LTE Voice is coming within 6 months anyway? Sprint was saying it is coming, but they're poking their feet on it. Mid-2015 is the time frame.

Hope to god this is built into Note 4, requiring nothing more than a firmware update. This is what Verizon is using, LTE Voice, which enables data/voice simultaneously and HD Voice all in one.. Note 4 does have the capability, but Sprint might decide not to enable it. :/

There's a work around to just use a voice over IP app today in place of Sprint's mobile phone service as well. Google Hangouts / Voice does it for free. The app is fully Voice over IP today.

Also the new Note 4 that's currently only out in S. Korea, looks freaking amazing. If deployed in America, it has the ability to use 800MHz, 1900MHz, and 2.5GHz all at once, full tri-mode carrier aggregation!! The way this will work on Sprint is, the connection seamlessly connects to whichever network, combining the data of all three spectrums, so you get like 20Mbps from 800MHz, 20Mbps from 1900MHz, and a full 70Mbps or higher from the 2.5GHz, all on one connection, giving you 110Mbps. As you move, perhaps some networks drop out but once in range again the spectrums combine.

Sprint's plan I heard is also to have several channels of 2.5GHz open so you'll have 2x2.5GHz networks at first, then next year three networks. If I am not mistaken. The 2.5GHz network should combine itself for up to 210Mbps..

No. There will not be tdd+fdd aggregation on sprint.

That is a shame. I was just looking at other countries, apparently they will have it deployed. So will the other network providers.

It is a shame Sprint's technology might prevent it. As you say, fdd+TDD won't be supported. Other countries might be fdd+fdd+fdd? That is meh.

A new varient of Note 4 is being released that supports combining different spectrums. It is in S. Korea only at the time being. Didn't check into whether or not FDD/TDD mattered.

Edited by wise

No. There will not be tdd+fdd aggregation on sprint.

Sprint may eventually have 3GPP capability for FDD+TDD carrier aggregation.  But that will not happen right out of the gate.  The only plans for the first few years are for 2x/3x TDD carrier aggregation in band 41.

AJ

Sprint may eventually have 3GPP capability for FDD+TDD carrier aggregation. But that will not happen right out of the gate. The only plans for the first few years are for 2x/3x TDD carrier aggregation in band 41.

AJ

Any predictions for 6 and 12 month b41 million pops?

I know this has been brought before but lack of svlte or lack of ability to use data while on a call is a horrible business decision in my opinion. I'm surprised Verizon s marketing department hasn't taken advantage of this. Especially in flagship devices!

Luckily with Sprint, you can use full integration with Google Voice and have svlte capability. I've been using it since hangouts got the merge with google voice and it works really well. The call quality is pretty good, and I don't even remember the last time I took a call on 1x.

Luckily with Sprint, you can use full integration with Google Voice and have svlte capability. I've been using it since hangouts got the merge with google voice and it works really well. The call quality is pretty good, and I don't even remember the last time I took a call on 1x.

I haven't tried that yet? Hmmm

I haven't tried that yet? Hmmm

Google.com/voice. You'll need to choose to integrate your Sprint number. You also need to use hangouts and download the hangouts dialer in order to make calls over data.

The settings can be a little quirky, like choosing which dialer to make/receive calls from. I have hangouts dialer ring for incoming calls, if I don't answer it for a while it will ring the stock dialer on my nexus and answering the call on one will show as a missed call on the other. Also, any other device you are signed into hangouts on and have the dialer installed will also ring such as your tablet or computer. The benefit is you can make/receive calls and text messages from your Sprint number on multiple devices.

There's also some advanced calling features available such as screening, recording, forwarding etc. The down side is you will lose your Sprint voicemail but it gets replaced by Google voice. Any saved or pending voice mails will be lost when you fully integrate. Also when google decides to mess with stuff you end up as a guinea pig until they fix it. When they transitioned google voice into hangouts there were a lot of weird texting/mms issues for a couple weeks. You can turn it off if you decide you don't like it though.

Just to let anyone that is interested know that I was able to flash 56022 today. Got questions, ask away.

How's it running? Any notable difference?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just upgraded to a Note 4 from the S5, and I've noticed the Note 4 likes to camp out on B25 versus my S5. Especially after a call the phone goes straight to B25 and stays there, unlike the S5 which would go back to B41. Has anyone had this kind of issue?

I just upgraded to a Note 4 from the S5, and I've noticed the Note 4 likes to camp out on B25 versus my S5. Especially after a call the phone goes straight to B25 and stays there, unlike the S5 which would go back to B41. Has anyone had this kind of issue?

Nope, move along..... :P
  • Like 1

Mine like 41, and 3g and 26 ha. However if I turn off 41 I'm hardly ever on 3g. Mostly 25 and some 26 and the rare 3g.

• Like 1

Mine like 41, and 3g and 26 ha. However if I turn off 41 I'm hardly ever on 3g. Mostly 25 and some 26 and the rare 3g.

Mine refuses to stay connected to B41, if it is, as soon as a call comes in and I'm done talking it will not go back to B41. May end up taking it back and keeping the S5 for now.
  • Like 1

Mine refuses to stay connected to B41, if it is, as soon as a call comes in and I'm done talking it will not go back to B41. May end up taking it back and keeping the S5 for now.

Too bad the Lollipop update likely won't be out during your return window in case there (hopefully) is a baseband update. Yeah mine switches between bands even with a strong B 41 signal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Like 1