Samsung Galaxy Note 4 User Thread

COZisBack

Considering switching to the GN4. I'm currently on the Nexus 5. 

**I'm asking in purely RF Performance, how well it stays on LTE, how much it drops to 3G terms. 

Anyone have experience with both phones and can recommend which phone has better reception/data latching/data speeds?

The N5 was one of the best RF performers, so it's a pretty tough standard to meet. However, having had the N5, I would say the Note 4 is a very good performer on LTE. It's pretty rare to have dropped to 3G with the Note in places I had LTE on the N5. I have no concerns about it's RF performance.

• Like 3

Cant compare it to a N5 however I would not call it a strong RF performer. I have my gn2 on my desk at work as a hot spot and it sits on LTE the whole time. My gn4 is constantly switching from LTE to 3G. Again I cannot speak to how it compares to the N5 but I still wouldn't call it a strong RF performer. I still recommend the device though it's an amazing device!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Cant compare it to a N5 however I would not call it a strong RF performer. I have my gn2 on my desk at work as a hot spot and it sits on LTE the whole time. My gn4 is constantly switching from LTE to 3G. Again I cannot speak to how it compares to the N5 but I still wouldn't call it a strong RF performer. I still recommend the device though it's an amazing device!

Yeah, the GN2 was a very solid B25 LTE device. Equal or better than the N5 on that band.
  • Like 1

I came to the Note 4 from the Galaxy S4T (strong RF performer) and I would say it's pretty equal. My wife now has my S4T and when her and I are together, I can't recall an instance where I was on 3G and she was on LTE. It seems to latch onto LTE for me. Just to note, I have B25 and B26 live in my area. I can't make any comparisons for B41 between those devices.

Sent from my Note 4.

I've noticed real world performance to be different when one compares the tests done for the FCC docs. Although I do not have the N5, I did have both the Nexus 6, Note 4 and Note Edge and I ran a few Signal Check pro tests and screenshot the results. The N6 is better on B41 than the Notes, but that's basically it. At the time I was having issues with a few sites in my area, now no issues, but I returned the N6 so I can't redo the tests. I find the Notes a bit better, (at least in my area). 

See posts 231 thru 257 in the Motorola N6 thread for the screenshots.

TS

Surprised to see a software update this AM on my shiny new Note 4; (Samsung/kies);

still at Kit Kat 4.4.4 so this must be a tweak of the firmware that I've been reading about;

(136 MB)Better battery life, wi-fi issues, et al...maybe a positioning of the software base for

Lollypop due out early next year...anyone else see this?

Surprised to see a software update this AM on my shiny new Note 4; (Samsung/kies);

still at Kit Kat 4.4.4 so this must be a tweak of the firmware that I've been reading about;

(136 MB)Better battery life, wi-fi issues, et al...maybe a positioning of the software base for

Yup just finished loading mine.

New base band.

d052b343e880f51151daf90421bfb1fe.jpg

Old base band.

73800a194caaf4c7c8ddd80e88a95aef.jpg

• Like 1

Just got mine when I checked for an update.

Sent from my Note 4.

Still not inpressed. Was sitting on a -59 b26 connection then it boots me to a -108 clear b41 sector then to 3g? So not necessarily rf but signal lock or network management issue? Either way doesn't impress me as a consumer.

Still not inpressed. Was sitting on a -59 b26 connection then it boots me to a -108 clear b41 sector then to 3g? So not necessarily rf but signal lock or network management issue? Either way doesn't impress me as a consumer.

There were a few on Xda forums saying they had a bad SIM. Do you have a different SIM with your Nexus 5? May want to do a swap and see what happens.

Since update I have noticed a lot better CDMA 800? LTE is still crappy. I can drive by a tower and even stop and it will stay on 3g.

I would take your phone into a Sprint store..  something is wrong.  There was a time or two where I had to cycle airplane mode because i went to 3G and seemed to stay there, but that was only a couple of times.  Definitely not having your problems.

Or see if they would give you a new SIM to try out in case that is the issue like some on XDA had.