Samsung Galaxy Note 4 User Thread

COZisBack

Good to hear about the OTA. I figure the Sprint version will come along soon enough.

Now I have to go in search of un-root procedures to get the Note 4 back to virgin state to accept the OTA.

Hopefully the Edge is next after that.

TS

• Like 1

Looks like Samsung is now starting to release OTAs of Lollipop for the Note 4 - in Poland.  It appears the delay is over.

http://www.sammobile.com/2015/02/11/samsung-starts-lollipop-update-galaxy-note-4-sm-n910c-in-polen/

Interesting.  The last time anything ever rolled out first in Poland was 1939.

;)

AJ

• Like 4

And Lollipop is now available for the Note 4 in South Korea via Samsung Kies:

http://www.sammobile.com/2015/02/12/samsung-galaxy-note-4-gets-the-lollipop-update-in-south-korea/

As a note, both the Polish and Korean releases are Exynos only releases.  Hopefully we'll see some Snapdragon releases soon.

• Like 1

Honestly doubtful.. Because the Note generally seems a few months behind radio wise. Note 4 has no CA support, no extra LTE bands for roaming. Likely the Note 5 will support whatever the S6 does. Note 3 didn't even support Spark.

Wow. That's really unfortunate. So the Note 6, two years from now, should support joint voice and data? Sprint can't afford to have missteps like this.

I know people will defend Sprint and that's fine, but these are the moves that keep them in the 4th spot.

Softbank acquisition may not be as rosy as some assumed.

Wow. That's really unfortunate. So the Note 6, two years from now, should support joint voice and data? Sprint can't afford to have missteps like this.

I know people will defend Sprint and that's fine, but these are the moves that keep them in the 4th spot.

I agree the note series needs to take a higher priority than they currently give it. I'd imagine VOLTE will be on the 5 as well as CA and roaming bands. For the 4 it wasn't a big deal as non of those features are live yet in most markets. If it lacks those features on the 5 it would be very disappointing but not really surprising.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Pattern of behavior.

The reputation that Sprint has earned. Sigh...

No.  You do not really know what you are talking about.

Almost any recent LTE handset can support VoLTE.  Device capability is not the issue.  Network capability is the issue -- and that is by choice.  Sprint is wisely holding off on VoLTE for at least two reasons:

1. Where Sprint has CDMA1X 800, it now has arguably the most robust, highest quality circuit switched network in the US.  RootMetrics test results on voice and SMS reliability bear that out.
  2. VoLTE is not yet reliable.  It is causing an increase in dropped calls on VZW and T-Mobile, and anecdotally, many users are being instructed to turn off VoLTE.

Simultaneous voice and data matter to few people.  But those few people tend to complain the loudest.  If you must have simultaneous voice and data, VoLTE is an option on VZW -- but see the aforementioned caveat.  Otherwise, your best bet is to get an SVLTE handset on VZW or turn off VoLTE and use e/CSFB on AT&T or T-Mobile.

In the end, if you are that dissatisfied with Sprint, please take your patronage elsewhere -- away from Sprint, away from S4GRU.

AJ

No. You do not really know what you are talking about.

Almost any recent LTE handset can support VoLTE. Device capability is not the issue. Network capability is the issue -- and that is by choice. Sprint is wisely holding off on VoLTE for at least two reasons:

• Where Sprint has CDMA1X 800, it now has arguably the most robust, highest quality circuit switched network in the US. RootMetrics test results on voice and SMS reliability bear that out.
  • VoLTE is not yet reliable. It is causing an increase in dropped calls on VZW and T-Mobile, and anecdotally, many users are being instructed to turn off VoLTE.
Simultaneous voice and data matter to few people. But those few people tend to complain the loudest. If you must have simultaneous voice and data, VoLTE is an option on VZW -- but see the aforementioned caveat. Otherwise, your best bet is to get an SVLTE handset on VZW or turn off VoLTE and use e/CSFB on AT&T or T-Mobile.

In the end, if you are that dissatisfied with Sprint, please take your patronage elsewhere -- away from Sprint, away from S4GRU.

AJ

Thank you for the VoLTE education.

Matters to few people? Opinion, not fact.

I apologize if you feel I'm bashing Sprint...that is not the case.

Peace, not war.

• Like 1

Matters to few people? Opinion, not fact.

Having run this web site for the past three years, as well as being involved in wireless discussion elsewhere, S4GRU staff members have pretty well informed opinions -- based on facts -- about what matters to most or few people.

AJ

None of us want a fight on this, but Sprint did manage to completely rebuild their network and they got the reliability aspect of it right. Does coverage and speed need some improvement? Of course. That said, there's a nice base to build on now. You couldn't say that under the past Sprint. This is already becoming a far different company.

Who do I talk to? Real world consumers. They care about reliability. The biggest churn periods Sprint had was when the network suffered from reliability issues. Now, that will decrease as people have a better day to day experience with the network.

We all want Sprint to have a great experience when they do have VoLTE, but they're better off holding off until they can offer that great experience along with advanced speeds and increased coverage. In the meantime, there's VoLTE on other carriers, but as AJ already pointed out, it's very bleeding edge.

• Like 3

You can get simultaneous voice and data via Google voice right now. Sprint is the only carrier that offers full integration with the service. There are a few drawbacks, but if you must have simultaneous voice and data on Sprint now, it is available.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Having run this web site for the past three years, as well as being involved in wireless discussion elsewhere, S4GRU staff members have pretty well informed opinions -- based on facts -- about what matters to most or few people.

AJ

Please share the facts, I'm interested.

Cornering AJ into fact vs opinion does nothing to further our education and can be used to define a troll. It is fact that LTE is a more fragile airlink and therefore VoLTE is not as reliable as 1x800. For a company that has had reliability issues, Sprint is wisely holding off on its implementation.

Single path radios, as explained by AJ, were necessary to stay in business and no one can fault a good business decision especially given 1x800's coverage ability.

Cornering AJ into fact vs opinion does nothing to further our education and can be used to define a troll. It is fact that LTE is a more fragile airlink and therefore VoLTE is not as reliable as 1x800. For a company that has had reliability issues, Sprint is wisely holding off on its implementation.

Single path radios, as explained by AJ, were necessary to stay in business and no one can fault a good business decision especially given 1x800's coverage ability.

No one is cornering. He insist his opinion is fact based on his vast knowledge, Yet provides only opinion. Which by the way I respect, though I don't agree. I do see why trying to ward of sprint bashing etc is needed as I believe that leads no where good. I don't agree that saying it's a bad business desicon is sprint bashing as its just an opinion as long as it's kept to that and not drug out. If he would not state his opinion as fact then I think the response would be better received. Just my two cents.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Cornering AJ into fact vs opinion does nothing to further our education and can be used to define a troll. It is fact that LTE is a more fragile airlink and therefore VoLTE is not as reliable as 1x800. For a company that has had reliability issues, Sprint is wisely holding off on its implementation.

His rude response was not necessary. Frayo's response is a good example on how you inform without being disrespectful.

For the record, I never mentioned VoLTE. I was concerned about simultaneous voice and data. The Hangouts work around becomes too cumbersome while conducting major projects at work.

Thank you for the kind and courteous responses. They are appreciated.

• Like 1

His rude response was not necessary. Frayo's response is a good example on how you inform without being disrespectful.

For the record, I never mentioned VoLTE. I was concerned about simultaneous voice and data. The Hangouts work around becomes too cumbersome while conducting major projects at work.

Thank you for the kind and courteous responses. They are appreciated.

For Sprint, the only path forward for simultaneous voice and data is VoLTE. So whenever you reference SV&D in regards to Sprint, you are going into a VoLTE discussion.

Using Moto X² on Tapatalk

• Like 2

If I need both voice and data, I just use hangouts for the call. I think I did it twice. Other times it would be nice, like when I'm on an endless hold with a company, but not absolutely necessary. I take the trade off of having better data speed and coverage with a tri-band phone vs just having B25 on a single band phone.

Edit: I also think Sprint needs to hold off on VoLTE until it finishes upgrading its network. There's no sense in dropping calls when the current 1x network (both 800 and 1900) works very well.

Sent from my Note 4.

• Like 1