Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Is that the current behavior with Sprint WiFi Calling on android? It just drops when you lose the wifi connection?

Yes, the call just drops.

Sprint's WiFi calling isn't quite as reliable as I'd expect it to be either. They do have it, it does "work". But it can be pretty flaky at starting up, authenticating, etc. It's more of a beta feature than a launched service.

On top of those problems, there's the fact that it's missing from every other type of phone (iPhone / BlackBerry / Windows Phone -- all support WiFi calling, but not on Sprint). And even some of the other Android phones haven't been updated to support it.

I think it's the right decision, to not advertise WiFi calling right now. The 1x800 voice/text experience is much better anyway, let that take the limelight on voice/text.

Yes, the call just drops.

Sprint's WiFi calling isn't quite as reliable as I'd expect it to be either. They do have it, it does "work". But it can be pretty flaky at starting up, authenticating, etc. It's more of a beta feature than a launched service.

On top of those problems, there's the fact that it's missing from every other type of phone (iPhone / BlackBerry / Windows Phone -- all support WiFi calling, but not on Sprint). And even some of the other Android phones haven't been updated to support it.

I think it's the right decision, to not advertise WiFi calling right now. The 1x800 voice/text experience is much better anyway, let that take the limelight on voice/text.

Honestly, I never use WiFi calling on my G3. I don't need to. If I loose 1x1900, 1x800 picks up and covers me. I don't think I've ever once lost my 1xRTT signal since my market was substantially completed (Jax).

It is more of a gimmick, at least on the new Sprint network around here. 1xRTT coverage is phenomenal.

Edit: I can totally empathize with people in rural areas or suburban areas that Sprint hasn't expanded out into or building penetration issues in certain circumstances, needing WiFi calling.

I just haven't seen a loss of 1xRTT in a very long time, unless I'm in an area with zero Sprint coverage, which in that case, I'm roaming anyway.

Sent from my LG G3 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Honestly, I never use WiFi calling on my G3. I don't need to. If I loose 1x1900, 1x800 picks up and covers me. I don't think I've ever once lost my 1xRTT signal since my market was substantially completed (Jax).

It is more of a gimmick, at least on the new Sprint network around here. 1xRTT coverage is phenomenal.

Edit: I can totally empathize with people in rural areas or suburban areas that Sprint hasn't expanded out into or building penetration issues in certain circumstances, needing WiFi calling.

I just haven't seen a loss of 1xRTT in a very long time, unless I'm in an area with zero Sprint coverage, which in that case, I'm roaming anyway.

Yeah, since we got 1x800, I've never actually *needed* it -- I no longer loose voice/txt coverage in my market, and there's full roaming as soon as I leave the city.

And since Sprint WiFi calling doesn't work very well anyway, I rarely try to use it anymore. 

A number of major markets don't have 800. My biggest concern would be for folks there

New promo just started. Its basically getting the ipad mini lease for free because of the credit. Id like to see them advertise this.

Also announced the end of proration for new customers. I think thats a pretty big deal and b/c first bill shock sucks

Hey...are there any more details on this offer? I couldn't find anything on Sprint.com. I currently have an iphone on lease (with a Framily plan), just wondering if I would/could qualify for it.

Honestly, I never use WiFi calling on my G3. I don't need to. If I loose 1x1900, 1x800 picks up and covers me.

Yeah, since we got 1x800, I've never actually *needed* it -- I no longer loose voice/txt coverage in my market, and there's full roaming as soon as I leave the city.

CDMA1X 800 is on the loose, baby!

AJ

• Like 5

And since Sprint WiFi calling doesn't work very well anyway, I rarely try to use it anymore. 

I've only had an issue with Wi-Fi calling once since I got my Note 4 in October, and that was apparently a temporary nationwide issue Sprint was having. Other than that, i find it works great and I use it whenever I'm home or on another Wi-Fi network that I can use it with. If you feel it doesn't work well, it could be related to its quality related to the G3 specifically rather than a general Sprint issue.

A number of major markets don't have 800. My biggest concern would be for folks there

Certainly. I meant to add that to my original reply.

There are several areas that aren't fortunate enough to have 1x800. The mature markets that do, however, won't have many issues loosing voice coverage.

• Like 1

LOSING!!!!!

What is this word?  How do you pronounce it?  LAHS-ing?  LOHS-ing?

AJ

• Like 2

I've only had an issue with Wi-Fi calling once since I got my Note 4 in October, and that was apparently a temporary nationwide issue Sprint was having. Other than that, i find it works great and I use it whenever I'm home or on another Wi-Fi network that I can use it with. If you feel it doesn't work well, it could be related to its quality related to the G3 specifically rather than a general Sprint issue.

Ditto. WiFi calling has worked pretty flawlessly for me thus far. Like you say, maybe some of the problems are a G3 thing. /shrug

I have zero problems with wifi calling on my G3.  Not really sure what he was referring too.

Ditto. WiFi calling has worked pretty flawlessly for me thus far. Like you say, maybe some of the problems are a G3 thing. /shrug

I have zero problems with wifi calling on my G3. Not really sure what he was referring too.

I've seen issues with WiFi calling on my G3, the few times I used it. It took forever to authenticate and would frequently disconnect and require me to reconnect WiFi calling. I don't have WiFi signal issues at my house, so it's not like I was loosing WiFi signal.

Actually, I had this same issue when trying to use WiFi calling on a different WiFi network. Almost seemed like a provisioning issue.

Anyway, I don't actually need it at all so I never really looked into the issue further.

I don't know I love WiFi calling. Even though I have great service at home it extends battery life like crazy. And it works great on my one max.

I think the vast majority of people use WIFI calling when home/work/etc. single location mostly. This way you eliminate dropping due to poor WIFI coverage. I know my cousins who are all on Sprint use it all the time at home, just because they are connected to WIFI anyway, might as well route their calls as well.

• Like 1

Exactly, WiFi calling is really good on college campuses too where WiFi basically blankets the entire campus. It extends battery life and gives you a signal where no other carrier does. Verizon has the best service on campus in terms of voice and text coverage and even their signal can't penetrate some areas of the school. Sprint and T-Mobile users have the added benefit of WiFi calling to give them the ability to make calls when roaming isn't an option.

I have the HTC One Max and don't like to use it because when I do my voice is delayed so we always start talking over each other. I need to use it because I don't get great service where I love till I get 800. anyone ever have this issue?

...can't penetrate some areas of the school.

Jameis, is that you?  Pardon the "is" pun.

AJ

• Like 1

I suppose we should move the Wifi related talk to another thread..  I just suggested Sprint should make an ad on it, not asking for problems/comments on it :)  TM felt it is a good enough feature to run a whole ad on it.

I suppose we should move the Wifi related talk to another thread..  I just suggested Sprint should make an ad on it, not asking for problems/comments on it :)  TM felt it is a good enough feature to run a whole ad on it.

Try reading some of the TmoNews article comments.  Even many Magentans are not happy with the commercials and the state of the network.  The Legere honeymoon period is rapidly fading.

AJ

• Like 3

I gotta say, that Marcelo tweet was top on the watercooler discussion list today. One of the more classy moves he has done.

People get tired of John color commentary with everything. He's able to do it because he knows no one will say anything back but I see that changed fast last night. John was not prepared.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 7

People get tired of John color commentary with everything. He's able to do it because he knows no one will say anything back but I see that changed fast last night. John was not prepared.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Yep, and it was a long time coming.

• Like 1