WiMax & rain

MacinJosh

Has anyone ever noticed that rain seems to degrade WiMax signals to almost worthless usability? Could this also potentially affect LTE as well?

I havent noticed (yet) but next time it rains (this week) ill drive down to wimax "coverage" and take a look. I havent personally heard of any issues with verizon's lte due to rain

Heavy precipitation can degrade WiMax performance if it is solid between your device and the tower. But it isn't a WiMax thing so much as its a 2500/2600 thing.

LTE on 1900 will be less affected. And on 800, minimally effected.

Robert - Posted from my E4GT with ICS using Forum Runner

• Like 3

What's rain??? :lol::rofl::lol:

Come to the Lower Central Valley of California and you will see what rain is. All afternoon yesterday and all night last night.

We haven't had any rain in Northern New Mexico since the week after Labor Day last September. :(

We haven't had any rain in Northern New Mexico since the week after Labor Day last September. :(

That sucks. :(

Heavy precipitation can degrade WiMax performance if it is solid between your device and the tower. But it isn't a WiMax thing so much as its a 2500/2600 thing.

LTE on 1900 will be less affected. And on 800, minimally effected.

Glad to know that rain won't affect LTE on 1900. Thanks! :)

Glad to know that rain won't affect LTE on 1900. Thanks! :)

It will have some effect, especially the heaviest of storms. But not as bad as 2500/2600.

It will have some effect, especially the heaviest of storms. But not as bad as 2500/2600.

Hopefully it won't be enough to drop the LTE signal to nothing like what happens to me here on 2600.

It's not a WiMax thing-- it's a 2.5 GHz thing. When you get above 2 GHz, you get close to a harmonic resonance of the hydrogen bonds in a water molecule-- this is why microwave ovens operate at 2.4 GHz. The dielectric heating effect at this frequency is highly effective on water molecules.

The water molecules absorb some of the RF energy and reduce the propagation of the signal.

• Like 6

What if it's snowing? Do the snowflakes absorb more of the RF energy since they are colder? LOL

No-- since the mass of water falling in snowfall is far less, the reduction should be far less. I think 1 inch of rainwater is something like a foot of snow or something-- not sure-- I don't live where it ever snows (nor will I ever if I can help it)...

• Like 1

It's not a WiMax thing-- it's a 2.5 GHz thing. When you get above 2 GHz, you get close to a harmonic resonance of the hydrogen bonds in a water molecule-- this is why microwave ovens operate at 2.4 GHz. The dielectric heating effect at this frequency is highly effective on water molecules.

The water molecules absorb some of the RF energy and reduce the propagation of the signal.

That explains it all. Thanks. Never knew that.

No-- since the mass of water falling in snowfall is far less, the reduction should be far less. I think 1 inch of rainwater is something like a foot of snow or something-- not sure-- I don't live where it ever snows (nor will I ever if I can help it)...

I figured, I was just joking around. Maybe with 2500 mhz WiMax and microwave backhaul waves going through the sky, I also won't see any more snow, it will all get microwaved before it hits the ground. :lol:

And here I thought it was just a propagation issue. I love learning new stuff.

Robert

Magnetrons out of a microwave are so cool. Did you know you can point it at a house from out side and it will kill their WiFi?

JUST DO TRY THIS AT HOME KIDS

I've built a few directional Herf guns, lots of fun, not enough power to act as god but you can still piss people off. :D

I had one of those neighbors, few hours of no WiFi and what ever else I was messing with was great medicine. :lol:

• Like 2

And here I thought it was just a propagation issue. I love learning new stuff.

Robert

In New Mexico, you shouldn't worry either way-- not enough moisture in the atmosphere to matter; however, here in Louisiana... I can't help but think of how poor WiMax would do on this foggy 75° morning here if they actually had WiMax here... Fortunately, the 2500 band will not affect future Sprint plans, so no more worries.

In New Mexico' date=' you shouldn't worry either way-- not enough moisture in the atmosphere to matter; however, here in Louisiana... I can't help but think of how poor WiMax would do on this foggy 75° morning here if they actually had WiMax here... Fortunately, the 2500 band will not affect future Sprint plans, so no more worries.[/quote']

We do get a "monsoon" season here most summers. However, it is nothing like Louisiana. Also, we only have limited coverage protection sites here. Which are more of a novelty. They are only useful to me at concerts and events when the EVDO network crashes under the burden. Then having WiMax backup is appreciated.

Robert via NOVO7PALADIN Tablet using Forum Runner

Magnetrons out of a microwave are so cool. Did you know you can point it at a house from out side and it will kill their WiFi?

JUST DO TRY THIS AT HOME KIDS

I've built a few directional Herf guns, lots of fun, not enough power to act as god but you can still piss people off. :D

I had one of those neighbors, few hours of no WiFi and what ever else I was messing with was great medicine. :lol:

That's why my primary N network runs on 5.8 GHz. The 2.4 network I run is a redundant backup (or used by my phone when I'm at home). I'm immune to your magnetrons!!

• Like 4

That's why my primary N network runs on 5.8 GHz. The 2.4 network I run is a redundant backup (or used by my phone when I'm at home). I'm immune to your magnetrons!!

I've been very happy with my dual router and use both frequencies.. The 5.8 is used mostly by my wireless bridge to near my TV to bring faster speeds to gaming systems and for hard wire into my older laptop... I get great speed with no drops.. The 2.4 is used by older devices..

• 4 weeks later...

I'm tethered on 4G right now, it's ben cloudy all day. It just started to pour down rain, almost a mid summer rainstorm amount, and the icon on my E3D went from 2 bars down to just the 4G icon, rain is stopping and it's going between just icon and 1 bar.

How is u tethering in 4g every time i use it it bumps me down to 3g???

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

I tether on WiMax, no problem.

What is it with the rain?

Every time it rains in PA my cable internet gets all balled up!

I then connect to my wireless tether via the epic touch.

The internet on the phone is fine!

Weird!

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2