WiMax & rain

MacinJosh

What is it with the rain?

Every time it rains in PA my cable internet gets all balled up!

I then connect to my wireless tether via the epic touch.

The internet on the phone is fine!

Weird!

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

It could be a damaged cable line either on your property or somewhere between the switch and your place. I had my home phone line go out a few years ago because water got in and rusted the wires. 2 or 3 days without phone service. And are you using 3G or 4G on your Epic Touch?

It could be a damaged cable line either on your property or somewhere between the switch and your place. I had my home phone line go out a few years ago because water got in and rusted the wires. 2 or 3 days without phone service. And are you using 3G or 4G on your Epic Touch?

Idk it could be...

It just seems like i get slim to no internet connection ( via cable) when it rains.

I use 3G on my epic touch and its just as good as cable!

Its like i never even jumped of cable!

Then again i always did get better than most with Sprint signal around here!

Im always sitting on 1.6 at least !

Verizon gets 600 to 1.4 usually.

I had this issue at my old house in New Mexico. When it rained, speed slowed way down and packet loss skyrocketed. And it would stay that way for a day or two after the rain. This was on DSL.

Windstream said over and over again there were no problems when I complained. I asked them to come out and check the line, but they refused. Later, Windstream needed an easement across my property and I refused to sign it until they checked out the rain problem. They sent out an engineer who found the issue in 10 minutes. Two parcels down from me, a neighbors tree root had grown into the Windstream box and popped the top just enough that when it rained, water ran into the box and puddled. So DSL speed was affected until the water evaporated in a day or two.

Never had issues again after that.

Robert - Posted from my E4GT with ICS using Forum Runner

I had this issue at my old house in New Mexico. When it rained, speed slowed way down and packet loss skyrocketed. And it would stay that way for a day or two after the rain. This was on DSL.

Windstream said over and over again there were no problems when I complained. I asked them to come out and check the line, but they refused. Later, Windstream needed an easement across my property and I refused to sign it until they checked out the rain problem. They sent out an engineer who found the issue in 10 minutes. Two parcels down from me, a neighbors tree root had grown into the Windstream box and popped the top just enough that when it rained, water ran into the box and puddled. So DSL speed was affected until the water evaporated in a day or two.

Never had issues again after that.

I had a similar issue with the phone line when we moved into the house we are now. When it would rain, phone would be scratchy and sometimes not work at all. CenturyLink sent someone out and we found that the old owner had started to run a line somewhere else but never finished. He coiled up the cord in a plastic grocery bag and there it sat, covered up by leaves for who knows how long. And it would short out every time the rain would come.

Disconnected that old line, threw it in the trash, and that was that. :)

1933892497.png

Is this bizarre or what? Just half an hour ago I couldn't even get a signal on the iSpot and now I'm getting 53ms pings. And there is no rain but yet I'm losing signal here in Cali again.

It's not a WiMax thing-- it's a 2.5 GHz thing. When you get above 2 GHz' date=' you get close to a harmonic resonance of the hydrogen bonds in a water molecule-- this is why microwave ovens operate at 2.4 GHz. The dielectric heating effect at this frequency is highly effective on water molecules.

The water molecules absorb some of the RF energy and reduce the propagation of the signal.[/quote']

So WiMAX would be excellent in a low humidity environment such as space?

 Sent via Forum Runner on my redsn0w iOS 5.1 iPhone 4 

What is it with the rain?

Every time it rains in PA my cable internet gets all balled up!

I then connect to my wireless tether via the epic touch.

The internet on the phone is fine!

Weird!

What Josh and Robert said.

So WiMAX would be excellent in a low humidity environment such as space?

Or Arizona, Nevada and Utah:).

Or Arizona' date=' Nevada and Utah:).[/quote']

Even protection sites work pretty darn good here in New Mexico. :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Magnetrons out of a microwave are so cool. Did you know you can point it at a house from out side and it will kill their WiFi?

JUST DO TRY THIS AT HOME KIDS

I've built a few directional Herf guns, lots of fun, not enough power to act as god but you can still piss people off. :D

I had one of those neighbors, few hours of no WiFi and what ever else I was messing with was great medicine. :lol:

HAHA, that's TERRIBLE!!! (and I totally want one! lol)

I am glad for this site and everything you can learn from the most random questions!

• Like 2