Sprint Testing New Data Plan Options

marioc21

I still say my Bingo would have been better.

That would have been groovy, man.

beachblanketbingo-1.jpg

AJ

Did some investigating today on the new plans:

Corporate Store #1 has never heard of them. I mentioned that they were brand new, and polietly asked if they would look it up on the intranet. They refused. They then offered to put me on some strangers framily plan. I refused. They got confused as to why I would want the individual plan, when some stranger's framily plan is cheaper. #sigh

Corporate Store #2 knew about it right away, and was shocked I knew. ;) He claimed that he wasn't allowed to sell them until this Friday. Set me up an appointment to visit the store and get started.

Corp Store #1 is where I bought my launch day Palm Pre, so I'm sad they're not up on their game. But I can finally get a decent plan at a decent price without an MVNO, so I'm still feeling pretty happy.

• Like 8

The FierceWireless article on the new plans was submitted to the T-Mobile subreddit with the title "Sprint is just shooting themselves in the foot." Are they ignorant or something?

The FierceWireless article on the new plans was submitted to the T-Mobile subreddit with the title "Sprint is just shooting themselves in the foot." Are they ignorant or something?

I suspect the thought is that Sprint wants to get rid of unlimited - something that we don't really know the end answer to at this point.

I suspect the thought is that Sprint wants to get rid of unlimited - something that we don't really know the end answer to at this point.

Yeah that's what it seemed they think. They're testing an unlimited data plan though so that doesn't make much sense.
  • Like 1

Once we start seeing some reliable LTE and faster downloads speeds everywhere, people might rethink the amount of data they need.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I honestly don't think it's all that bad to remove unlimited, if they up the data caps crazy high to compensate.

Two people "unlimited" on Framily is about $140/month. (5gb each, before 'prioritization', no tethering allowed). Two people on this New Test Family Plan pricing is $130/month, and they get 10GB each (presumably on phone or tethering). It's a win for (almost) everyone.

Instead of this race to the bottom on abusing the term 'unlimited', I'd love to see carriers race to the top on data caps. If Sprint launches this 20GB as standard for families, that will push T-Mobile and AT&T into higher data caps for their plans as a response. That's good for everyone, and it solves this whole 'data abuser', 'throttling', 'deprioritization' argument for good.

• Like 6

I honestly don't think it's all that bad to remove unlimited, if they up the data caps crazy high to compensate.

Two people "unlimited" on Framily is about $140/month. (5gb each, before 'prioritization', no tethering allowed). Two people on this New Test Family Plan pricing is $130/month, and they get 10GB each (presumably on phone or tethering). It's a win for (almost) everyone.

Instead of this race to the bottom on abusing the term 'unlimited', I'd love to see carriers race to the top on data caps. If Sprint launches this 20GB as standard for families, that will push T-Mobile and AT&T into higher data caps for their plans as a response. That's good for everyone, and it solves this whole 'data abuser', 'throttling', 'deprioritization' argument for good.

If they drop unlimited, they loose their entire marketing platform. They also loose the ability to compete with T-Mobile. I don't think it'll be happening any time soon.

Once we start seeing some reliable LTE and faster downloads speeds everywhere, people might rethink the amount of data they need.

I've noticed this myself, while I like the idea of unlimited I don't come anywhere close to actually needing it. My normal month is around 2.5-3.5GB a month, I would be happy with a 6-10GB lot of data and a cheaper price like the one mentioned. Even if I have to pay a bit more on top to get over the base of 3GB, like say $65 it would save me a lot.

• Like 3

If they drop unlimited, they loose their entire marketing platform. They also loose the ability to compete with T-Mobile. I don't think it'll be happening any time soon.

To be clear, I don't think they should ever drop the plan entirely. I think it would go of into a corner somewhere -- something they always offer, but don't really advertise and that 95% of people never bother to sign up for.

Sort of like the "My All In" plan is today.

I think it will be the opposite. In my experience faster speeds = more data usage. With a reliable and fast LTE network people are more apt to stream video more often or do bandwidth intensive tasks.

As the network gets stronger unlimited will be a better and better deal. Just look at all the Verizon grandfathered unlimited people who would never leave even when they have to pay full price for their phones and lines.

I think it will be the opposite. In my experience faster speeds = more data usage. With a reliable and fast LTE network people are more apt to stream video more often or do bandwidth intensive tasks.

As the network gets stronger unlimited will be a better and better deal. Just look at all the Verizon grandfathered unlimited people who would never leave even when they have to pay full price for their phones and lines.

I think that what he said and what you said are the same thing.  I believe he is saying people will rethink the data they need when it works all the time.  Rethink in needing more.  He never mentioned less.  ;)

Robert

That's actually what I meant to say.

I've noticed this myself, while I like the idea of unlimited I don't come anywhere close to actually needing it. My normal month is around 2.5-3.5GB a month, I would be happy with a 6-10GB lot of data and a cheaper price like the one mentioned. Even if I have to pay a bit more on top to get over the base of 3GB, like say $65 it would save me a lot.

I fluctuate between 3 to 7 GB a month on my phone and on laptop tethered to my hotspot about 2-4. So a 10GB  plan is fine for my needs. Has anyone figured out if these plans have tethering or is it the usual hotspot add on?

• Like 1

I wonder how corporate discounts would be applied to these plans. Right now I get 23% off the $110 part of an everything data plan. My understanding is that on a Framily plan it would only be applied to at most one $20 unlimited data add-on. If the discount were on the whole data package, e.g. the $100 for 20GB, good deal.

I wonder how corporate discounts would be applied to these plans. Right now I get 23% off the $110 part of an everything data plan. My understanding is that on a Framily plan it would only be applied to at most one $20 unlimited data add-on. If the discount were on the whole data package, e.g. the $100 for 20GB, good deal.

Your understanding of the framily discount is wrong. It comes off all data so if you have 6 lines with 20 unlimited data then its off 120.

Id imagine these plans would be the same and come off the data bucket. Thats also how Verizon and AT&T do it.

• Like 2

Your understanding of the framily discount is wrong. It comes off all data so if you have 6 lines with 20 unlimited data then its off 120.

Id imagine these plans would be the same and come off the data bucket. Thats also how Verizon and AT&T do it.

Thanks for clarifying! In my case it is three lines, so the new family plan would still beat the framily easily.

Edit: I am of course assuming 20GB is as good as unlimited for my family's purposes, that won't be true for everyone.

Edited by djw39

If these a la carte pricing schemes with data buckets catch on, I think Sprint may raise the price of unlimited. But I don't expect it to go away for a long time. Probably about the time when there is no one left on unlimited plans except abusers.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

maybe so Robert but when we pay for unlimited and thats what we have been getting, they should not try to take it away.  I am not an abuser of unlimited data, but i still hit nearly 100 GB's a month, as my phone is how i stream netflix, youtube, hulu, etc. for my son, & myself.  I also download my updates for my electronics via my phone and then transfer them tot he computer/devices, those take alot of GB's of data.  Also with LTE which i use when i get the opportunity, which is anytime im not in my home area I.E. anytime i goto the town i work in.  The speeds are so fast that more data is consumed.  While compared to the average user i do use alot of data monthly, but i still would not consider myself an abuser as i do not torrent on my phone or whatnot.  just stream video, music, etc. which is well within the terms and conditions of the contract i signed onto for unlimited.

maybe so Robert but when we pay for unlimited and thats what we have been getting, they should not try to take it away. I am not an abuser of unlimited data, but i still hit nearly 100 GB's a month, as my phone is how i stream netflix, youtube, hulu, etc. for my son, & myself. I also download my updates for my electronics via my phone and then transfer them tot he computer/devices, those take alot of GB's of data. Also with LTE which i use when i get the opportunity, which is anytime im not in my home area I.E. anytime i goto the town i work in. The speeds are so fast that more data is consumed. While compared to the average user i do use alot of data monthly, but i still would not consider myself an abuser as i do not torrent on my phone or whatnot. just stream video, music, etc. which is well within the terms and conditions of the contract i signed onto for unlimited.

Do you not have home internet?

Whether you consider that abuse or not, that is the kind of use that will bring about the demise of unlimited. You will end up paying for using 100s of GBs of data. Whether its through data caps or Sprint raising the price of unlimited.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 7

maybe so Robert but when we pay for unlimited and thats what we have been getting, they should not try to take it away.  I am not an abuser of unlimited data, but i still hit nearly 100 GB's a month, as my phone is how i stream netflix, youtube, hulu, etc. for my son, & myself.  I also download my updates for my electronics via my phone and then transfer them tot he computer/devices, those take alot of GB's of data.  Also with LTE which i use when i get the opportunity, which is anytime im not in my home area I.E. anytime i goto the town i work in.  The speeds are so fast that more data is consumed.  While compared to the average user i do use alot of data monthly, but i still would not consider myself an abuser as i do not torrent on my phone or whatnot.  just stream video, music, etc. which is well within the terms and conditions of the contract i signed onto for unlimited.

I never said anything about taking unlimited away from you.  I also said I don't expect Sprint to get rid of unlimited.  And Sprint is still offering some new unlimited plans in these market tests.  I really have no idea what you're going on about.

Robert

• Like 3

I never said anything about taking unlimited away from you.  I also said I don't expect Sprint to get rid of unlimited.  And Sprint is still offering some new unlimited plans in these market tests.  I really have no idea what you're going on about.

Robert

O I was referring to what you said about the abusers being the only ones left after a while. Ill still be left.

David no I do not have home internet. Whats the point of shelling out even more money when I already pay for unlimited data on my phone. I do not tether either. Strictly data use on my phone. I live on a budget and am not going to pay 2 different companies for internet. Thats my reasoning.

O I was referring to what you said about the abusers being the only ones left after a while. Ill still be left.

David no I do not have home internet. Whats the point of shelling out even more money when I already pay for unlimited data on my phone. I do not tether either. Strictly data use on my phone. I live on a budget and am not going to pay 2 different companies for internet. Thats my reasoning.

I was just making an observation that if it ever gets to the point where Sprint only has abusers left on unlimited plans, they would likely scrap unlimited then.  That's all.

Robert

Sorry misunderstanding on my part...