Sprint Testing New Data Plan Options

marioc21

Individual Plans

Sprint is trying out a new individual plan in Chicago, Minneapolis and West Michigan. The plans include a $40 plan with unlimited talk and text and 3GB of data or $50 for an unlimited offering.

$50 for an unlimited individual plan? I'd definitely be in for that. Only $5 more than unlimited in a maxed-out Framily without the need to add people to your group. Hopefully they expand that offering or make it permanent at some point.

• Like 2

Also, I don't think at all the shared data plans experiment means the death of unlimited at all.

If Sprint goes to shared data and eliminates unlimited, they will lose customers at a blindingly large rate. I wouldn't suspect that Sprint is that dumb.

• Like 2

Also, I don't think at all the shared data plans experiment mean the death of unlimited at all.

If Sprint goes to shared data and eliminates unlimited, they will lose customers at a blindingly large rate. I wouldn't suspect that Sprint is that dumb.

I don't think they will totally do away with unlimited data right now or any time soon for that matter but I do think it will eventually go away.

If these a la carte pricing schemes with data buckets catch on, I think Sprint may raise the price of unlimited. But I don't expect it to go away for a long time. Probably about the time when there is no one left on unlimited plans except abusers.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

The network and coverage has to be way better IMO for unlimited to be dropped. Maybe a few years from now Sprint would be in that good of a place, otherwise, I don't see the logic.

The more I think about it, the more I think these shared data plans should not be implemented nationwide. Not because I'm a fan of unlimited but because I think Sprint can't afford to lose customers by dropping unlimited. Now if Sprint had Verizon-esque coverage, this conversation would be different. That said, I'm on a shared data plan right now and I hate it.

• Like 4

$50 for an unlimited individual plan? I'd definitely be in for that. Only $5 more than unlimited in a maxed-out Framily without the need to add people to your group. Hopefully they expand that offering or make it permanent at some point.

i find this one very interesting. Especially for those like myself that can't get into a Framily plan since existing customers aren't suppose to join one. (plus I hate having to go through hoops and loops, address changes, cut off my family jewels, give up my first born to join Framily)

I too hope this goes nationwide. The more choices the better.

TS

Also, I don't think at all the shared data plans experiment means the death of unlimited at all.

Sprint is doing precisely what some of us have been saying for several years.  Offer tiered data plans at lower cost to incentivize users to consume less on network data and save money.  Keep "unlimited" as a high cost option.

AJ

• Like 6

The network and coverage has to be way better IMO for unlimited to be dropped. Maybe a few years from now Sprint would be in that good of a place, otherwise, I don't see the logic.

The more I think about it, the more I think these shared data plans should not be implemented nationwide. Not because I'm a fan of unlimited but because I think Sprint can't afford to lose customers by dropping unlimited. Now if Sprint had Verizon-esque coverage, this conversation would be different. That said, I'm on a shared data plan right now and I hate it.

I'm with Robert on this.  Don't see unlimited going away.  Sprint is just going to make you pay for it.  And the cost of unlimited can raised as needed in the future.  

• Like 2

This is precisely what SERO-P is at price wise...actually this plan IS SERO-P.  Strange they are offering it when they just couldnt be making money on SERO isnt it? ;)  The only thing I wonder is if this plan has any roaming.

This is precisely what SERO-P is at price wise...actually this plan IS SERO-P. Strange they are offering it when they just couldnt be making money on SERO isnt it? ;) The only thing I wonder is if this plan has any roaming.

It's SERO-P without the subsidy. That's the difference.

• Like 5

Unfortunately for me, with 4 lines, Sprint's plans either at the 10GB or 20GB level come out to $160/mo, which is exactly the same as AT&T and unless Sprint's network matches or exceeds AT&T's in coverage I will not switch my personal lines. Sorry Sprint!

Across Missouri, and on a trip from STL to Cincinnati my coverage on Sprint was superior to the other four peoples coverage on att(3 iPhone 5s's and a G2). Sure there were some spots where they may have had faster data, but whenever anyone needed to make a call they used my phone. Att dropped calls like a mofo and the quality was garbage. I'm hoping for this new unlimited plan to be available nationwide soon, I'd switch over in a heart beat because the subsidy is doing nothing but costing me money.
  • Like 2

For now, I think Sprint is best to just cut the baseline on Framily prices by $5 per tier with throttling as opposed to overages, and look elsewhere to improve their business like accelerating 8T8R Spark, increasing site density, and maybe nuking the Framily campaign altogether because it is bad, renaming the new plans Simply Everyone.

The old contract plans, SERO, and all that could just get killed off at that point as well.

• Like 2

and maybe nuking the Framily campaign altogether because it is bad, renaming the new plans Simply Everyone.

Well, the Framily campaign has that surreal SoftBank vibe everyone and his dog were clamoring for a year ago.  So, make up your minds what kind of marketing you want.

Speaking of which, do you think that Simply Everyone is better than Everyone Everything?

Or what about Everybody Everybody?

AJ

• Like 1

I was thinking more on the line of Otosan coming over and being a cartoon like character everyone loves. Maybe not as part of the family like he is in Japan but more as a character to show that Sprint is changing and becoming better run and more competitive.

I just don't see how the Framily set up right now does that.

I was thinking more on the line of Otosan coming over and being a cartoon like character everyone loves. Maybe not as part of the family like he is in Japan but more as a character to show that Sprint is changing and becoming better run and more competitive.

I just don't see how the Framily set up right now does that.

kryptocartoon.jpg

Across Missouri, and on a trip from STL to Cincinnati my coverage on Sprint was superior to the other four peoples coverage on att(3 iPhone 5s's and a G2). Sure there were some spots where they may have had faster data, but whenever anyone needed to make a call they used my phone. Att dropped calls like a mofo and the quality was garbage. I'm hoping for this new unlimited plan to be available nationwide soon, I'd switch over in a heart beat because the subsidy is doing nothing but costing me money.

Oh, I know that voice wise with roaming, Sprint is superior to AT&T. Data, not so much. The roaming pact with Alltel expires in 2016 so they better be working on replacing that coverage with native as much as possible to minimize their roaming bill.

Oh, I know that voice wise with roaming, Sprint is superior to AT&T. Data, not so much. The roaming pact with Alltel expires in 2016 so they better be working on replacing that coverage with native as much as possible to minimize their roaming bill.

I wasn't referring to roaming, I meant native coverage. If I'd been including roaming I'd have said so. By superior data I meant places where I had 3g and they had hspa+. In regards to voice coverage I was really referring to quality, I've used tin cans that sounded better than att did in places.

The sole reason the people I was with is for the 20gb family plan. With these new options its going to be quite a bit easier to convince them to switch.

It's SERO-P without the subsidy. That's the difference.

A huge difference at that

• Like 1