Sprint Testing New Data Plan Options

marioc21

I was just making an observation that if it ever gets to the point where Sprint only has abusers left on unlimited plans, they would likely scrap unlimited then. That's all.

Robert

See: Verizon

David no I do not have home internet. Whats the point of shelling out even more money when I already pay for unlimited data on my phone. I do not tether either. Strictly data use on my phone. I live on a budget and am not going to pay 2 different companies for internet. Thats my reasoning.

You pay for unlimited on your phone. On your phone, while you are mobile. You don't pay for unlimited for the rest of your house. That is the difference. We have had this debate over and over throughout the forums. Mobile data is not a solution for home internet. That is not what it is meant for, and it will cripple the network no matter how many improvements Sprint does. It is that mentality that will bring the end of unlimited.

I live on a budget as well, but I still manage to have home internet so that I don't have to use mobile data while at home. And I pay for unlimited. I know I will have data when I need it, but I don't use the heck out of it just because it is "unlimited."

• Like 8

While you arent using home Internet there are many others who get a terrible true mobile experience because of you.

How would you feel if you couldn't use your mobile data because I was downloading "software updates" for my computers over my phone. Put yourself in the opposite posistion.

Frankly, I wish unlimited would just go away. Offer "unlimited" users now a crazy cap, like 50 gigs per line. It would be a start to a better experience for everyone.

Sent from my HTC M8

• Like 1

O I was referring to what you said about the abusers being the only ones left after a while. Ill still be left.

David no I do not have home internet. Whats the point of shelling out even more money when I already pay for unlimited data on my phone. I do not tether either. Strictly data use on my phone. I live on a budget and am not going to pay 2 different companies for internet. Thats my reasoning.

Just to put some math on your 100 gig use, that's 102,400 megabytes per month. That comes to you averaging 2.37 megs of use per minute, 24/7.

Yea. That's not what wireless data was designed for one person to use, nor could the technology support that on a large scale.

Sent from my HTC M8

• Like 4

Just to put some math on your 100 gig use, that's 102,400 megabytes per month. That comes to you averaging 2.37 megs of use per minute, 24/7.

Yea. That's not what wireless data was designed for one person to use, nor could the technology support that on a large scale.

Sent from my HTC M8

Or 3.33 gb a day. More than I typically use in an entire month on mobile.

• Like 4

While you aren't using home Internet there are many others who get a terrible true mobile experience because of you.

How would you feel if you couldn't use your mobile data because I was downloading "software updates" for my computers over my phone. Put yourself in the opposite position.

Frankly, I wish unlimited would just go away. Offer "unlimited" users now a crazy cap, like 50 gigs per line. It would be a start to a better experience for everyone.

This response is not directed at dstar2002, he just happens to be the last post.  Nor is it specifically directed at darickster09, although he has made himself a tempting target.

S4GRU members have gone on and on and on about unlimited and its imminent/likely/possible/unlikely demise for years, with no agreement about what will actually happen.  Yet Sprint continues to offer it, even as an option in this newest set of test-marketing plans.  Unlmited Sprint data does not seem destined to go away, at least in the near- to medium-term future.  And I have observed that the "Top 5% Throttling" panic has totally quieted down: If Sprint has enabled throttling, it seems to have gone virtually unnoticed, probably because it has affected few subscribers.  Moreover, throttling of heavy/abusive users is likely to extend Sprint's ability to offer unlimited data for a long, long time.  Spark has a lot of spectrum, and Sprint and its vendors are coming up with novel, ever-increasing methods of using that spectrum to transfer ever-increasing amounts of data.

While I personally disagree with darickster09's use of his Sprint service, it is up to Sprint to enforce reasonable restrictions on his use.  If at any time he is heavily using a loaded sector, he should be (and likely will be) throttled.  This will prevent other users from having terrible experiences.

Now can we get back to looking at the new rate plans?

Thank you.

• Like 11

While you arent using home Internet there are many others who get a terrible true mobile experience because of you.

How would you feel if you couldn't use your mobile data because I was downloading "software updates" for my computers over my phone. Put yourself in the opposite posistion.

Sent from my HTC M8

Totally agree. Most of us live on a budget, yet we (my wife and I) still manage to have a home internet connection because we know it is a utility (should be considered one by the gov't as well).

100gb/month is just insane for mobile use. That's more than I use on my 105mb/s Comcast home Internet per month and I stream music and movies every single day using Netflix and Pandora....etc, not to mention the usual day-to-day internet use like browsing and checking emails and watching YouTube.

That being said, I hardly ever break 5gb/month on my Sprint unlimited plan and that's with me watching YouTube and some netflix here and there along with the usual mobile stuff.

• Like 2

We will not allow this thread become the extolling of unlimited data excesses.  That subject has been beaten to death throughout our forums.  Please move on from that aspect of this discussion and get back on track.

:dead:

There really is no fresh perspective or new analogy that hasn't been discussed at least 20x before.  And it just causes hurt feelings and a flame war.  Sprint is indeed starting to take on the abusers anyway.  They really have no choice.  They will destroy the new network if allowed to run unabated.

Robert

• Like 3

By the way I apologize for messing up this topic.

But as far as their plans go I think that the 50 bucks a month individual unlimited seems like a good idea in theory. I would however like to see the terms and conditions as im sure they have changed with this new type of plan. And of course as mentioned before someone said something about overage charges and questioned if they existed. Any update on that one? And again im sorry for sending this topic off topic earlier.

• Like 1

does it say anything about if hotspot in included or roaming?

It gives no details but listing the cities. The cnet article had way more info, but it says QRBs will be available on the 11th that will have all the details.

So ill look into it Friday.

• Like 4

Sent from my HTC M8

Meh. That's only 39.5kbps

Abuse/ use/ recluse?  This is a dangerous time to bring up this up when trying to buy out the fourth largest carrier!!  The award for the worst timing ever goes to..............Sprint  ding ding ding!!!!

Edited by Calvin200

Just read all the QRBs for these trials and none include hot spot, but the new business fusion plans do included hotspot. Those plans are all unlimited talk and text and cost 65 unlimited data (3gb hotspot), 55 2gb data including hotspot, and 50 1gb data including hotspot.

• Like 1

Just read all the QRBs for these trials and none include hot spot, but the new business fusion plans do included hotspot. Those plans are all unlimited talk and text and cost 65 unlimited data (3gb hotspot), 55 2gb data including hotspot, and 50 1gb data including hotspot.

Nice thanks!

Maybe there will be a trickle down effect to consumer plans in the future.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Maybe there will be a trickle down effect to consumer plans in the future.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

My tablet is actually showing that I can switch it to a business fusion plan although it is not a business account.  Checked available plans for my phone and unfortunately wasn't offered any plans to switch to.

I wonder if they will get rid of the my way plan for these.

If Sprint does away with contracts those plans will all be gone, I suspect it will be Framily going forward.

dFramily should start $55ul ... The bucket plans should be for those who want to connect multiple devices... Like hotspots and and tablets $35 bucks for a hot and $15 for 2g tablet plan ... Just give me a bucket that both can pull from!

Imagine paying 25-35 ul that would shake everyone up! Limited time only lol

These new trials might just be a way to target certain carriers in certain markets.... $50ul where Tmo is dominating... Boston, another market where att is hot so double the bucket... Etc .etc

So I got the test individual plan. It's working well. Some things I noticed :

1. I don't know if this is typical for all plans or not, but Wifi calling isn't provisioned automatically on these plans, and you are not allowed to add it yourself on the Sprint website (even though it's free). Store reps claimed I had to do this online (I found out that's wrong, at least on these plans, your forbidden from adding Wifi calling yourself).

2. Store reps also claimed they can't port numbers into this plan, and that I had to do it online. (I found out that's wrong too -- your never allowed to port in numbers via the website, unless your also ordering a new line of service from the website).

3. The plan shows up as "Unlimited Talk" on certain parts of the website, but "30.0 Anytime Minutes" in others. It also claims "Unlimited Messaging is not included" on some parts and "Unlimited Texting" in others. I'm almost certain this is just a bug, but worth mentioning. I'm hoping this bug doesn't extend to billing.

4. The two corporate Sprint stores here in Grand Rapids are still technically iPCS Wireless stores. The contracts all print with "iPCS Wireless" as the contract holder, even though they are corporate stores (and are listed as such on Sprint.com) . Very odd.

5. You are allowed to switch between the 3GB addon, and the Unlimited Data addon, by using the website. You can also cancel insurance using the website. You can't do anything else online, which is extremely frustrating.

I'll make a thread for this elsewhere, but the two (corporate) Sprint Stores near me, and Sprint's website, are both terrible experiences. Overall, I have the plan and I have a new phone. But it was a crazy frustrating ordeal to get it accomplished, that took 4 hours and three visits to three different Sprint stores. I won't be surprised if Sprint corporate thinks it's a "failure", not because the plans are bad, but because it's very difficult to get anything accomplished at some of these Sprint retail stores (even simple things, totally unrelated to these new plans).

• Like 1

Here's an example of the website glitches. It's provisioned as "$30 for Unlimited Talk + Test", with a "$20 Unlimited Data Feature" or a "$10 3GB Data Feature".

vVTf78hl.png

I just went into one of the corporate stores in Chicago and changed to the $50 ul plan. It took some persuading as it is meant for new customers (so I was told) but it only took 10 min. Now, whether it was done correctly/will actually work... time will tell.