Data roaming on newer triband devices

greenbastard

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I had a question about Sprint's data roaming on newer triband devices. I am currently in the market for a new triband cellphone but I noticed that the latest phones don't have data roaming in places older phones have data roaming. 

For example, this coverage map is for the newer Samsung Galaxy S5. Notice how data roaming is non existent between Denver and Wichita, KS

CseLhz9.gif

Now notice the massive difference in data roaming on a single band Galaxy S4

pbF8sVP.gif

Is this a correct depiction of data roaming on newer devices (like the Galaxy S5, G Flex, One M8)? And if it is, is it a compatibility issue or is it a move away from data roaming? I ask this because voice roaming seems to be the same on the voice coverage maps on all devices. This would definitely be a deal breaker for me since I do roam and use data(I use up about 60-80 MB a month). Any information on this would be great since my contract has been up for over a year and my phone is in dire need of retirement. I'd like to keep Sprint, but if roaming is out of the picture then I would need to consider my options. Thanks.

• Like 1

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I had a question about Sprint's data roaming on newer triband devices. I am currently in the market for a new triband cellphone but I noticed that the latest phones don't have data roaming in places older phones have data roaming. 

For example, this coverage map is for the newer Samsung Galaxy S5. Notice how data roaming is non existent between Denver and Wichita, KS

CseLhz9.gif

Now notice the massive difference in data roaming on a single band Galaxy S4

pbF8sVP.gif

Is this a correct depiction of data roaming on newer devices (like the Galaxy S5, G Flex, One M8)? And if it is, is it a compatibility issue or is it a move away from data roaming? I ask this because voice roaming seems to be the same on the voice coverage maps on all devices. This would definitely be a deal breaker for me since I do roam and use data(I use up about 60-80 MB a month). Any information on this would be great since my contract has been up for over a year and my phone is in dire need of retirement. I'd like to keep Sprint, but if roaming is out of the picture then I would need to consider my options. Thanks.

I saw when I checked it out for myself Voice stays the same but not data, I didn't check any other "new", recently released devices, but my guess is possibly just was just an error when they updated the maps.  However to answer your question about Sprint trying to get away from roaming as much as possible I would say yes now that they are able to use 800 now, (well in most places except by the country borders for now).

Actually your right, I just had to double check, when I had selected no specific device, data roaming is only in VERY few places according to the new map update....  I rarely travel outside native Sprint coverage so I wouldn't know.  Plus I thought Sprint had roaming agreements until at least 2015... Very interesting, I would like to know too! 

Guys, this is much ado about nothing.  Individual device coverage maps have oft been inaccurate.  Do not worry about it.  All Sprint roaming to this point is either Cellular 850 MHz or PCS 1900 MHz.  And all modern devices support both bands for CDMA2000.  Until Sprint adds Lower 700 MHz, Upper 700 MHz, and/or AWS 2100+1700 MHz LTE roaming, the need for individual device coverage maps is basically nil.

AJ

• Like 4

Guys, this is much ado about nothing.  Individual device coverage maps have oft been inaccurate.  Do not worry about it.  All Sprint roaming to this point is either Cellular 850 MHz or PCS 1900 MHz.  And all modern devices support both bands for CDMA2000.  Until Sprint adds Lower 700 MHz, Upper 700 MHz, and/or AWS 2100+1700 MHz LTE roaming, the need for individual device coverage maps is basically nil.

AJ

Hey it did make me look to see though, I really wish Sprint would change there maps, sometimes it takes a good 15 seconds to "load" when zooming in or out.  Everyone elses maps are bigger too, not just a small box, lol.  Not a big deal but a change would be nice. 

• Like 1

Guys, this is much ado about nothing. Individual device coverage maps have oft been inaccurate. Do not worry about it. All Sprint roaming to this point is either Cellular 850 MHz or PCS 1900 MHz. And all modern devices support both bands for CDMA2000. Until Sprint adds Lower 700 MHz, Upper 700 MHz, and/or AWS 2100+1700 MHz LTE roaming, the need for individual device coverage maps is basically nil.

AJ

I know devices support both CDMA bands, but my concern is being able to access data while I'm roaming on another network. According to the maps, I can still use voice, but 1x data sessions will no longer be established. My main concern about this is being able to check email and receive IMs while driving through the many non-interstate highways in West Texas and New Mexico.

I still roam on my Triband Nexus 5 in South Dakota on Verizon for 1x and EVDO voice and data with my Sprint SIM in the phone.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

I know devices support both CDMA bands, but my concern is being able to access data while I'm roaming on another network. According to the maps, I can still use voice, but 1x data sessions will no longer be established. My main concern about this is being able to check email and receive IMs while driving through the many non-interstate highways in West Texas and New Mexico.

The maps are messed up. However that shouldn't stop Triband devices from accessing roaming.

Sprint hopefully has a new map solution in the hopper soon, this is an area where a major overhaul is needed.

• Like 1

I still roam on my Triband Nexus 5 in South Dakota on Verizon for 1x and EVDO voice and data with my Sprint SIM in the phone.

If you put the Nexus as the device on the map it shows roaming is available. If you put mine the Samsung 4 Refresh it doesn't. I have been unable to roam on Evdo on my S4T, but can on my EVO LTE. So this makes the maps partially true...

If you put the Nexus as the device on the map it shows roaming is available. If you put mine the Samsung 4 Refresh it doesn't. I have been unable to roam on Evdo on my S4T, but can on my EVO LTE. So this makes the maps partially true...

Unless you have a business account or are in one of the few areas that offer EVDO roaming, then you should roam on 1x only.

But as far as the Nexus 5 roaming, Sprint shows its maps as having full roaming. So far, I see the SG5 (which I'm eyeing), LG Flex, and M8 as being heavily restricted on data roaming.

Sprint blocked EVDO roaming years ago. You can only get EVDO roaming with a custom PRL.

• Like 1

Well I have a tri band device and I know in the up I get evdo in ishberming mi.

If you don't mind me asking, which device do you have?

HTC one max

Sprint blocked EVDO roaming years ago. You can only get EVDO roaming with a custom PRL.

Alltel EV-DO roaming is still in the stock PRL in some areas. I am on the 55019 PRL and I roam on Alltel every time I cross the state border.

z9nZe4x.png?1

Alltel EV-DO roaming is still in the stock PRL in some areas. I am on the 55019 PRL and I roam on Alltel every time I cross the state border.

z9nZe4x.png?1

I can attest to EVDO roaming as well (verified with SignalCheck Pro). I recently went to San Diego, CA and when I got within 1000 feet of the border (the I-5 & I-805 interchange), I roamed on EVDO with Cricket. What was most interesting about the entire experience was that once I was in Tijuana, Sprint and Verizon were non existent (my buddy's Verizon phone went into Intl roaming right after crossing). It was all Cricket EVDO in Avenida Revolucion. I guess Sprint uses a directional pattern in the Cali/MX border because in Texas, I've been able to cross into Mexico and still have a usable sprint signal.

But back on topic, the HTC One Max also shows to be severely handicapped on data roaming. The towns of Ishpeming and Marquette have data roaming, but outside of that there is no data roaming according to Sprint. I'll try to post the difference in coverage when I get on my computer later. This thing is still a mystery, but hopefully someone can confirm if data works or not soon.

Who is their right mind would go to Ishpeming, MI, let alone ishberming mi?  :scratch:

Someone with ish for brains.

AJ

NexTech in Kansas still allows EVDO roaming. Though once you cross into Colorado you get restricted to Verizon 1x for some reason.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 2

Alltel EV-DO roaming is still in the stock PRL in some areas. I am on the 55019 PRL and I roam on Alltel every time I cross the state border. z9nZe4x.png?1

True. But very little left.

NexTech in Kansas still allows EVDO roaming. Though once you cross into Colorado you get restricted to Verizon 1x for some reason.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Yeah, I forget that NexTech is not native anymore. But you guys understand my basic premise. 95% of EVDO was deactivated years ago and most of Sprint customers will NEVER roam on EVDO anymore. Regardless of Sprint's screwed up maps that don't mean anything.

Robert

• Like 1

Old ATN areas like Southern Illinois are 3G EV-DO until June 30, 2015. That date was the date the FCC mandated that AT&T had to run CDMA until as one of the conditions to approve the transaction of AT&T buying the remaining Alltel properties from ATN.

• Like 1

Sent from my Nexus 5

I still had EVDO roaming on NexTech after I crossed into Colorado on I70 back in May. It didn't fade until I got off I70 and onto route 24 to Colorado Springs that it went from that, to weak 1x800. 

There was about 30 miles after I lost Sprint in central Kansas that I was roaming on Verizon before I picked up NexTech though.