Google I/O

uecker87

With Google I/O starting shortly, 11AM CDT, I thought we may want a thread to discuss it.  The rumor is that they will be previewing the next version of Android.  Also, they could possibly be showing the Nexus 8/9? 

• Like 1

I like what i see so far.

Dave is checking out Beavis.  "I like what I see…"

:P

AJ

• Like 2

That LG Watch and Samsung Gear Live look nice.

I haven't used a watch in ages, these just might bring me back to using one.

Moto360 is where its at for me

• Like 3

Moto360 is where its at for me

I also love how the moto360 looks. [emoji106] best looking smart watch I've ever seen.

Sent from my Torque using Tapatalk

Everyone there is getting a moto360!?!??!??.. As soon as they are avaliable.. I wonder what's in the cardboard...

Nexus tablet or bust.

AJ

• Like 1

Everyone there is getting a moto360!?!??!??.. As soon as they are avaliable.. I wonder what's in the cardboard...

They are also getting an lg or samsung smartwatch today as well.  I would love to attend one of these events but it ain't cheap.

• Like 2

Honestly could some of you humor me as to why anyone would want a smartwatch in the first place?  I just don't get it. 

The Moto 360 is a good looking device to me but it would be fine if it were a simple analog watch.  But the trouble for me is that I don't even wear watches because my smartphone has replaced that functionality completely.  It's all about simplification.  

Why would I want to duplicate my smartphone's functionality on my wrist on a wearable device that my smartphone replaced years ago?  Seems bizarre to me.

I'm not poking fun it at it (well, maybe just a tad) but I really and truly would like to know from some of you guys your reasons for wanting one and how they might make your/my life easier.

Is pulling out your phone to check notifications now considered to be too difficult?  

Is pulling out your phone to check notifications now considered to be too difficult?

For me it's not that it's difficult, it's that in some cases it's rude. For instance my work doesn't allow you to be on your phone so a smart watch enables me to see if something is important enough for me to take a break to get it. Or when I'm out with my significant other I can glance down and see what alert I just got rather than being that dude who's "always on his phone." Or simply when I'm doing things around my house I can be assured I'll know if I need to get my phone or not without having to drop what I'm doing to find my phone or always have it on my person. For me it let's you detach from my phone without being detached from the things I need from it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 6

For me it's not that it's difficult, it's that in some cases it's rude. For instance my work doesn't allow you to be on your phone so a smart watch enables me to see if something is important enough for me to take a break to get it. Or when I'm out with my significant other I can glance down and see what alert I just got rather than being that dude who's "always on his phone." Or simply when I'm doing things around my house I can be assured I'll know if I need to get my phone or not without having to drop what I'm doing to find my phone or always have it on my person. For me it let's you detach from my phone without being detached from the things I need from it.

Thanks for the reply.  I considered the work thing.  And I can see the validity in that statement.

However, in a social setting, going from the guy who's always on his phone to the guy who's always on his (watch??) seems to be a wash.

I guess usage cases will become more clear in time as more and more people presumably begin sporting them.

But my other qualm in all of this?  If you're just going to give me notifications........don't expect me to pay $300.  I mean, that's completely absurd and more than the phone costs to begin with (well, almost.  I have a Nexus 5 so we're talking $350 but you get my drift).

I agree with all those reasons. I just hate pulling my phone out everytime it vibrates.. I just can't help it... But a smart watch would allow me to see those notifications without doing that.

• Like 1

But my other qualm in all of this? If you're just going to give me notifications........don't expect me to pay $300. I mean, that's completely absurd and more than the phone costs to begin with (well, almost. I have a Nexus 5 so we're talking $350 but you get my drift).

Yeah I only want to pay a max of 200 for one. Which means the moto will likely never be in my reach.

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply. I considered the work thing. And I can see the validity in that statement.

However, in a social setting, going from the guy who's always on his phone to the guy who's always on his (watch??) seems to be a wash.

I guess usage cases will become more clear in time as more and more people presumably begin sporting them.

But my other qualm in all of this? If you're just going to give me notifications........don't expect me to pay $300. I mean, that's completely absurd and more than the phone costs to begin with (well, almost. I have a Nexus 5 so we're talking $350 but you get my drift).

I was not trying to insinuate that it would trade places. I'm actually not always on my phone, I just end up pulling it out of my pocket a lot checking the notification/time and putting it back. Which to me gives the impression of being one of those people to the general public (or someone who's just in the general area with me), in my opinion. It's a lot easier to tap the watch or push a button on it to check a notification, or the time(you know like an original watch:P). It's quicker, and requires you to divert less of your time from the person/people you're with.

More on topic the moto 360 is one of the first good looking and more fairly priced smart watches. The Samsung ones are cool but they only work with Samsung phones which doesn't fly for me. I'd love to see more price friendly options (150-200ish range).