Why do I keep getting bumped down to 1X?

Often times when I'm driving around doing deliveries for work, I stream music whether it be from Pandora, iheartradio, etc. Sprints 3G network has a hard enough time keeping the stream and not buffering, but a lot of the time my connection drops to 1X and it will stay like that for a while. Sometimes I can toggle mobile data off/on and it will reconnect to 3G, and other times it goes right back to 1X and stay like that for however long it wants. This drives me nuts. I am paying $10 for "premium data" when I don't even use 4G due to the coverage being so spotty, 3G is super slow, and half the time I get dropped to 1X. So wtf. Any explanation for this?

Often times when I'm driving around doing deliveries for work, I stream music whether it be from Pandora, iheartradio, etc. Sprints 3G network has a hard enough time keeping the stream and not buffering, but a lot of the time my connection drops to 1X and it will stay like that for a while. Sometimes I can toggle mobile data off/on and it will reconnect to 3G, and other times it goes right back to 1X and stay like that for however long it wants. This drives me nuts. I am paying $10 for "premium data" when I don't even use 4G due to the coverage being so spotty, 3G is super slow, and half the time I get dropped to 1X. So wtf. Any explanation for this?

It seems to be happening once in a while here on the west coast too. Most of the time my phone goes back to 3G by itself though. Could just be maintenance work.

You realize that "premium data" means that you have a smartphone right? It has nothing to do with 4G. Please don't use this forum to complain about Sprint. If you actually want to ask a question, that's fine, but don't use this forum to flame sprint. This website is all about 4G rollout updates, if you want to complain about Sprint service, go to sprintusers.

• Like 3

You realize that "premium data" means that you have a smartphone right? It has nothing to do with 4G. Please don't use this forum to complain about Sprint. If you actually want to ask a question, that's fine, but don't use this forum to flame sprint. This website is all about 4G rollout updates, if you want to complain about Sprint service, go to sprintusers.

It seems like a legitimate post to me. It can be frustrating to have bad signal so I think nova's language got a little more excited, possibly I'm used to dealing with much worse. I think we can break his post down to his expectation to not drop signal when he's paying an additional fee and wondering if it's a technical issue on the device side or the tower side. To which I respond, it sounds like maintenance on the tower. This was happening to me last year and after a couple of days it straightened itself out and speeds were much better. A quick check on Nova's post history shows he is a decent contributor to the forum so I'd cut him some slack.

• Like 1

My phone seems to bump to 1x while receiving text messages quiet often...

I'm in central, Ohio.

SMS is delivered generally via CDMA1X paging or traffic channels, not via EV-DO. So, your phone has to drop to CDMA1X to receive SMS.

AJ

I was asking a legitimate question, not flaming Sprint. You want to see some sprint flaming, jump over to the XDA forums. I think I have the right to express my frustration when I'm not getting the service I am paying for. Premium data fee or not, I should not be connecting to 1X for data when I'm in an area I KNOW has good 3G coverage. I didn't know if there was a technical explanation for this, I figured this would be the best place to ask.

It seems like a legitimate post to me. It can be frustrating to have bad signal so I think nova's language got a little more excited, possibly I'm used to dealing with much worse. I think we can break his post down to his expectation to not drop signal when he's paying an additional fee and wondering if it's a technical issue on the device side or the tower side. To which I respond, it sounds like maintenance on the tower. This was happening to me last year and after a couple of days it straightened itself out and speeds were much better. A quick check on Nova's post history shows he is a decent contributor to the forum so I'd cut him some slack.

Thanks for the support. I don't think it's tower maintenance though, as it happens when I'm driving around and switching from tower to tower. I doubt every single tower in the Raleigh/Durham area is under maintenance at the same time lol. Like today, I was driving home from work from Cary to Fuquay Varina, and the entire time I was streaming iheartradio it was on 1X. Started out on 3G (albeit extremely slow 3G) and then next time I look at the phone it's on 1X. It's happened to me since maybe...6 months after I signed up with Sprint? Or maybe I just didn't notice it much when I first had my phone, or due to the fact that stock roms will not tell you if you are on 1X, it always shows 3G and I didn't root my phone till a few months after I got it. And it's not the phone cause had an Evo 4G and now a 3D and it happened on both.

I think I have the right to express my frustration when I'm not getting the service I am paying for.

You absolutely have the right to express your frustration and dissatisfaction.

KSOPHT0101-Z4300

6391 Sprint Parkway

Overland Park KS 66251-4300

Doing so in this forum will not do any good as this is a collection of wireless nerds discussing Sprint's 4G rollout among other things. This website is not affiliated with Sprint.

• Like 1

Many devices have a hard time going back to 3G EVDO if they get handed over to 1x, especially while in an active data session. And streaming would be the ultimate example of an active data session. It used to happen to me all the time on my EVO. It still happens on my E4GT too, but it seems to be a little better at pushing me back up to EVDO.

So it is easy to make the assumption when this happens that for some reason you are not in a 3G EVDO coverage area and/or perhaps there is something wrong with the network. When in reality, you probably only lost 3G EVDO coverage for a few seconds or a minute, but your device will not reconnect you.

The best way to correct this when you know you are in a 3G area, but stuck in 1x, is to cycle through Airplane mode. But this can be really cumbersome and annoying, especially when streaming. But rest assured, I have the same issue on my work Verizon phone too. In fact, it's worse because it drops to 1x more often in my area.

As for Scott's comments, please understand around here the 4G fee is a taboo subject. It causes our dander to get ruffled because it usually gets mentioned right before flaming begins. So we may be a little hyper sensitive. Your question is legit, so I apologize for us shooting you first, and then responding to your question.

Best Regards,

Robert

S4GRU Administrator

You absolutely have the right to express your frustration and dissatisfaction.

KSOPHT0101-Z4300

6391 Sprint Parkway

Overland Park KS 66251-4300

Doing so in this forum will not do any good as this is a collection of wireless nerds discussing Sprint's 4G rollout among other things. This website is not affiliated with Sprint.

You seemed to have completely ignored the majority of my post and instead focus on the last sentence. I was simply asking a question and describing what the problem was. Forgive me if I'm slightly irritated when I'm paying for 1X instead of 3G. If this site is not affiliated with Sprint, then why are you making such a big deal out of it?

Thank you S4GRU for giving me some insight on this. Do you know if this will happen any less often when network vision comes into effect?

Edited by nova46

You seemed to have completely ignored the majority of my post and instead focus on the last sentence. I was simply asking a question and describing what the problem was. Forgive me if I'm slightly irritated when I'm paying for 1X instead of 3G. If this site is not affiliated with Sprint, then why are you making such a big deal out of it?

Thank you S4GRU for giving me some insight on this. Do you know if this will happen any less often when network vision comes into effect?

Scott is a moderator and a writer here. I wouldn't recommend getting into a further discussion on the subject. I think we should move on. Please accept my explanation on the issue.

However, it should improve post Network Vision. With RRU's up high on the the towers, it should have a significant impact on filling in the little 3G RF holes that exist now. This will give you a more seamless coverage area of 3G. Also, newer devices will handoff better too than devices from last year or even older. So the problem that you are experiencing will definitely get better for you after Network Vision is complete in your area.

What will be even better is when you are using a LTE device in a LTE coverage area once 800 LTE is deployed. With LTE on 800, the coverage area will be very seamless. And streaming audio/video in a coverage area will be a very good experience.

The Sprint network is going under a metamorphosis currently. It will not be even remotely like its former self. And for most of us, I know we cannot wait. And the reports we are getting from the live Network Vision sites are very promising.

Robert

My phone seems to bump to 1x while receiving text messages quiet often...

I'm in central, Ohio.

Sent from my EVO 3D w/ MeanRom

Anytime you receive or send an SMS or MMS (text / picture) message, your phone will go to 1x. Sprint uses 1x to transmit SMS and MMS messages (which is why pictures take forever). The only phones that won't do this are SVDO-capable phones. The only SVDO-capable phones that exist today (or soon) are HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Rezound, & LG Viper (to be released). It's just like talking on the phone-- you cannot maintain a 3G (EVDO) data session while on a call-- your data will drop to 1x as your phone only has a single CDMA baseband processor.

• Like 1

I was asking a legitimate question, not flaming Sprint. You want to see some sprint flaming, jump over to the XDA forums. I think I have the right to express my frustration when I'm not getting the service I am paying for. Premium data fee or not, I should not be connecting to 1X for data when I'm in an area I KNOW has good 3G coverage. I didn't know if there was a technical explanation for this, I figured this would be the best place to ask.

Thanks for the support. I don't think it's tower maintenance though, as it happens when I'm driving around and switching from tower to tower. I doubt every single tower in the Raleigh/Durham area is under maintenance at the same time lol. Like today, I was driving home from work from Cary to Fuquay Varina, and the entire time I was streaming iheartradio it was on 1X. Started out on 3G (albeit extremely slow 3G) and then next time I look at the phone it's on 1X. It's happened to me since maybe...6 months after I signed up with Sprint? Or maybe I just didn't notice it much when I first had my phone, or due to the fact that stock roms will not tell you if you are on 1X, it always shows 3G and I didn't root my phone till a few months after I got it. And it's not the phone cause had an Evo 4G and now a 3D and it happened on both.

Actually Fuquay tends to be a bit spotty on 3g but Cary has pretty good coverage. Do you have any issues elsewhere in Wake Copunty? When was the last time you updated your prl?

Anytime you receive or send an SMS or MMS (text / picture) message, your phone will go to 1x. Sprint uses 1x to transmit SMS and MMS messages (which is why pictures take forever). The only phones that won't do this are SVDO-capable phones. The only SVDO-capable phones that exist today (or soon) are HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Rezound, & LG Viper (to be released). It's just like talking on the phone-- you cannot maintain a 3G (EVDO) data session while on a call-- your data will drop to 1x as your phone only has a single CDMA baseband processor.

I can never remember getting hung up on 1x after getting a SMS, but maybe I have and just not realize it. I get hung up on 1x so often going in and out of coverage here in rural New Mexico, that I don't think I have noticed. :lol:

Robert

Scott is a moderator and a writer here. I wouldn't recommend getting into a further discussion on the subject. I think we should move on. Please accept my explanation on the issue.

However, it should improve post Network Vision. With RRU's up high on the the towers, it should have a significant impact on filling in the little 3G RF holes that exist now. This will give you a more seamless coverage area of 3G. Also, newer devices will handoff better too than devices from last year or even older. So the problem that you are experiencing will definitely get better for you after Network Vision is complete in your area.

What will be even better is when you are using a LTE device in a LTE coverage area once 800 LTE is deployed. With LTE on 800, the coverage area will be very seamless. And streaming audio/video in a coverage area will be a very good experience.

The Sprint network is going under a metamorphosis currently. It will not be even remotely like its former self. And for most of us, I know we cannot wait. And the reports we are getting from the live Network Vision sites are very promising.

Robert

That's great news. I'm really looking forward to 800 mhz LTE. I really hope the Galaxy S III supports it though, which is what I'm planning on getting for my next phone. I'd hope for 2500 mhz TD-LTE support for when clearwire lights that up, but I have my doubts.

Actually Fuquay tends to be a bit spotty on 3g but Cary has pretty good coverage. Do you have any issues elsewhere in Wake Copunty? When was the last time you updated your prl?

I actually don't spend that much time in Fuquay even though I live there; well more between the holly springs/fuquay border on sunset lake road. It doesn't seem to be location specific. I work in Cary and that's when I stream music mostly, and that's when it usually happens. I updated my PRL about two weeks ago when I updated my radios so that I could use 2.17 software ROMs for my 3D.

Edited by nova46

I can never remember getting hung up on 1x after getting a SMS, but maybe I have and just not realize it. I get hung up on 1x so often going in and out of coverage here in rural New Mexico, that I don't think I have noticed. :lol:

Robert

Well your phone SHOULD return to 3G after the SMS/MMS message is transmitted or call is ended unless you're roaming or it can't reacquire the EV pilot signal-- say if you've moved to a new sector, your phone has to find a new pilot PN-- this should be routine, but not all phones are created equal-- hence I'm now running a Moto!

Edited by 4ringsnbr
  • Like 1

That's great news. I'm really looking forward to 800 mhz LTE. I really hope the Galaxy S III supports it though, which is what I'm planning on getting for my next phone. I'd hope for 2500 mhz TD-LTE support for when clearwire lights that up, but I have my doubts.

I'm of the same mind set. I really hope that the GS-III supports 800 at a minimum, and ideally TD-LTE 2500 too. I will likely get one of the new LTE devices coming out now. But I'm definitely saving one of my upgrades for the GS-III.

Robert

Are there areas that doesnt have sprint 3g but has the slower sprint data network (not roaming)? If so do they plan to convert them to 3g let alone 4g? I think its just as importent maybe even more for the sprint data nextwork to be all 3g as starting to deploy 4g in areas that are 3g.

Are there areas that doesnt have sprint 3g but has the slower sprint data network (not roaming)? If so do they plan to convert them to 3g let alone 4g? I think its just as importent maybe even more for the sprint data nextwork to be all 3g as starting to deploy 4g in areas that are 3g.

To the first answer I can answer from experience yes. I'd actually disagree with the moving up to 3G though. If they did it would only feel past due and might not even help that much. I recall getting speeds of around 50kbps on ol' 2G data, lived on it for a year in Bloomington IN. I'd say focus all efforts to beefing up the backend so 3G actually outperforms 2G in all areas and pressing on with 4G. As I know it, most people in this country are covered by 3G, however shoddy it may be, I just can't support spending a ton of cash on providing 3G to 4 folks living on a hill somewhere or supplying full tilt EVDO to 3000 cows and one caballaro tending them streaming rocking tunes on Pandora.

edit: Alright! member level digital! Sending texts and everything!

Edited by Contreramanjaro
  • Like 1

This happens with my EVO on a daily basis. It happened today while streaming music at my desk. Usually popping into airplane mode and out takes care of it but it is strange how the 3G signal will just "disappear" during active stream sessions even when I'm not hopping between towers or moving.