Dish/Sprint merger?

dnicekid

Found this on another site

http://www.dailywireless.org/2014/03/27/dish-in-merger-talks-with-sprint/

Not sure about this one but I guess anything is possible.

"Any merger between Sprint and Dish would result in an embarrassment of spectrum. Selling excess spectrum to other carriers in any merger between Dish and Sprint would seem to be in the cards.

T-Mobile has also been mentioned as a possible partner with Dish. A T-Mobile/Dish merger might better match their combined spectrum needs. Both companies have large AWS spectrum holdings. T-Mobile has the AWS infrastructure ready to go."

How the hell did I miss THAT article? Well anyway, some friends and I were discussing this possibility this week during a long car ride and we came to the conclusion that why would they buy into a shrinking business like pay tv? Maybe it's just a spectrum swap/sale or a further tie up in regards to the wireless home internet service test. 

I was thinking wth?... But I guess with mass you never know what he has planned.... I guess he wants to stir up the industry too.

I am happy that sprint seems to have awoken and starting to make noise, makes me happy lol .. Hopefully they are getting rid of thinking like losers

I was thinking wth?... But I guess with mass you never know what he has planned.... I guess he wants to stir up the industry too.

I am happy that sprint seems to have awoken and starting to make noise, makes me happy lol .. Hopefully they are getting rid of thinking like losers

A merger? Unlikely! A partnership? More than likely! Dish and Direct TV will keep losing subscribers because old people will keep on dying and the millenials will not watch content on TV's but on tablets and phones. So, the satellite companies will need an OTT and VOD play. Sprint has plenty of spectrum and can put it to use to serve those purposes.

• Like 1

If there is a partnership, I think Sprint would be wise to use the money to purchase EBS in the style of AT&T from small carriers or just buy them out.

They can't, at least I don't think so. They lease EBS from educational institutions and the Catholic Church. I don't know what will happen at the end of the leases :(.

They can't, at least I don't think so. They lease EBS from educational institutions and the Catholic Church. I don't know what will happen at the end of the leases :(.

Wow I am uninformed in wireless these days :/  I meant BRS, just forgot my terms.  More contiguous BRS holdings would be good.  Especially if they find some PCS on the way.

Wow I am uninformed in wireless these days :/  I meant BRS, just forgot my terms.  More contiguous BRS holdings would be good.  Especially if they find some PCS on the way.

Ahhhh....Yes. They should then acquire more BRS.

I can see Dish being a player in the AWS-3 auction. but not for the paired spectrum but for the unpaired spectrum. I can see them acquiring the 1695-1710 MHz uplink and pairing it with the 2180-2200 MHz downlink. I also seeing them apply to the FCC to change 2000-2020MHz into a downlink and pairing it with the Block H downlink. If Sprint and Dish come to some kind of agreement, I see Block G, Block H and the 2000-2020 block being paired up for a 30x10 block of spectrum. The question is what does Sprint have to trade to Dish? 

Now the 1695-1710 will have to be shared with NOAA, but since it is an uplink, I see it being easier then sharing a downlink.

If Dish can pull purchasing the 1695-1710Mhz block they would have a really decent spectrum position. Now what are they going to do with it?

The question is what does Sprint have to trade to Dish? 

Sprint has the NV equipment, the sites, the backhaul established, the knowledge, the staff, technicians, and most of all Mr Mass.

I am not sure how you put it all together in a trade or partnership, but it sure could be done. I am not sure is SHOULD be done, but it could be.

Sprint has the NV equipment, the sites, the backhaul established, the knowledge, the staff, technicians, and most of all Mr Mass.

I am not sure how you put it all together in a trade or partnership, but it sure could be done. I am not sure is SHOULD be done, but it could be.

They do? Some places, yes. ;)

The part that's close to PCS can be very valuable to Sprint down the road, so they could take that as a downpayment to hosting the rest of Dish's spectrum for OTT services. Then together they can sell fixed broadband to their customers.

Edited by bigsnake49

The part that's close to PCS can be very valuable to Sprint down the road, so they could take that as a downpayment to hosting the rest of Dish's spectrum for OTT services. Then together they can sell fixed broadband to their customers.

It sure would be tricky to get the deal done right. So hard to figure out the total expense and how it should be divided up.

Technically, it can be done and somebody is probably going to do it.  Going to take a lot of backhaul to every site and is going to require some real bandwidth depending on just what they try to push out to the public.  So much money involved and who pays for the construction and who reaps the profit, if any??   Sprint may want to push high speed wireless Internet to the public while Dish might want to push 150 channels of TV to compete with Comcast and Cox.  Could be fun for somebody and the whole project could crash too.