Sprint To Trial Fixed Wireless Service With Dish

marioc21

I have been a firm believer that EBS/BRS are better suited to fixed broadband. In fact I had Sprint broadband on that frequency in the early 2000's. Now granted Sprint had only one fixed broadband antenna in my area to cover 100,000 people. But it was OK, better than DSL which was non-existant at the time and cable which wanted $10,000 to cross a 5 lane highway and cover our 5 story building.

and BTW I'm all for the T-Mobile/Sprint combo as well.

Sprint ION?

Where was this? I'd love to hear some details.

Sprint ION?

Where was this? I'd love to hear some details.

Nope, this was back in 2001, Sprint first tried Wireless Cable. I think they had something like 30 channels. Then they tried Sprint Broadband but it was over the same BRS spectrum. You had to have a romboid external antenna. We jumped ship when our local wisp provided us 8Mbps symmetircal for the same price as Sprint Broadband. I see the antennas on top of the buildings still, ghosts from the recent past.

To answer your question, this was in the Mebourne, FL area.

Edited by bigsnake49

You mean un-do the clear acquire?

No, just use it differently. If this merger were to go through they will have to divest some spectrum. The EBS spectrum would be ideal to divest to Dish and then host the spectrum for them.

T-Mobile is making agrresive moves to acquire some 700Mhz A block spectrum. They will be a a very tough competitor and have relatively low debt load.

Dish, if they acquire Lightsquared's spectrum and do some fancy footwork with the FCC would have some very good spectrum assets to offer. 

Edited by bigsnake49

Nope, this was back in 2001, Sprint first tried Wireless Cable. I think they had something like 30 channels. Then they tried Sprint Broadband but it was over the same BRS spectrum. You had to have a romboid external antenna. We jumped ship when our local wisp provided us 8Mbps symmetircal for the same price as Sprint Broadband. I see the antennas on top of the buildings still, ghosts from the recent past.

To answer your question, this was in the Mebourne, FL area.

Ah that's very cool!

I didn't know they trialed OTA TV services.

• 6 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

• gallery_1_23_9202.png

• Similar Content

• Mapped two n41 small cell sin Jersey City today. They're the first two to be mapped there in Jersey City as far as I can tell and interestingly they're consecutive gNBs, possibly indicating they were installed around the same time. gNB 1088335 appears to be an upgrade of an older small cell. It looks identical to the T-Mobile n41 small cell I mapped earlier this year in Old Westbury.   I also mapped gNB 1088334 in Newport. This small cell appears to be a new build as I couldn't find any evidence of an older small cell in that area. Unfortunately no pic of it since I didn't even notice that I mapped it until I got home and I can't find it in Streetview.
    • Someone told me a couple years ago, that there were problems getting certain modems to aggregate overlapping spectrum even if the overlapping parts were actually blanked. So I think there might be firmware issues that need to be resolved first, which T-Mobile might not consider worth the effort for 4MHz at this time.
    • Tbh not that surprising. Every ISP seems to want to have an MVNO to pitch to their customers to make them stickier and maybe make some money in the process. And unlike USCC the MVNO should be able to cover TDS's entire wireline area, with infrastructure costs that are borne by someone else. Entertaining, yes. Surprising, not really...particularly when competing against Comcast or Spectrum, or even eventually T-Mobile fixed + mobile. This also strengthens my bet that they'll rebrand all their fixed wireless stuff as TDS, as that runs on spectrum they're keeping for now.
    • No? RCS on Google messages works great for me, messages between anyone with RCS enabled go through with no problems. Don't remember the last time I had an issue. I only have issues with people on iPhones on different carriers from T-Mobile.
    • Has anyone experienced a ridiculous amount of difficulty with Google messages with RCS enabled?  It has been a train wreck for me for the past year so I now use WhatsApp.  That works very well for all of us.... Android and iOS.