Sprint To Trial Fixed Wireless Service With Dish

marioc21

It's going to be 81° here this weekend. I hope these winter months prove to be a boon for us here in the south for continued rollouts.

I didn't mean to say that everywhere in the US will be halted for B41 LTE deployment.  Certainly southern states are not going to be affected by snow or in-climate weather and will continue with B41 LTE deployment.  But I still think its too aggressive for every single Clearwire site to be upgraded to B41 LTE by end of Spring 2014.  I expect some delays as Softbank/Sprint begin shifting resources and funding for new fires that may arise.

Perfect example is this eCSFB issue which now turns out to be a high priority and has caused Sprint to shift focus on upgrading more 1x/3G on LTE sites instead of continuing to build out more LTE in these markets.

If you already don't have service with 1900mhz LTE this will do you no good either.If the were to go with 800mhz LTE now your cooking with peanut oil.

Au contraire. Fixed wireless is a much different animal. Antenna gain and uplink power can be greatly increased. Comparison to mobile handset reception is spurious.

AJ

Au contraire. Fixed wireless is a much different animal. Antenna gain and uplink power can be greatly increased. Comparison to mobile handset reception is spurious.

AJ

Understood I my case I'm already running a 1900mhz grid antenna with 21dbi gain, and cyfre amp and come spring when leave's come on I loss service.That's with a u770 usb device. Everything but the airlink from tower to my antenna is wired. Verizon will not even come to my house to set me up with their fixed system and that's 700mhz.

Phase 2 complete by Spring? The last I heard, Phase 2 was to be complete by December 2014.

Robert

?

We taking the green and pink pins here? Maybe I'm confused. I though the plan was to have the current WiMax overlay done by Spring. Or maybe I need to go reread. Been a crazy couple of weeks.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

If Sprint and Dish have only told us they are trialing fixed service in Corpus Christi, TX, I make no assumptions about this ever being a nationwide offering.  Making that assumption and then immediately assuming or wondering if Sprint can meet that goal is presumptuous. 

If I were to guess, Sprint is using this little exercise to trial the cooperative, working relationship that can be established with Dish as much as it is trialing the actual deployment and customer experience.  Delivering fixed wireless access isn't nearly as challenging as mobile access, so its silly to assume they are doing this "to see if it works".  Rather, Ergen-network has a reputation for being solely self interested and dumping/killing anything which doesn't meet his expected profit margins, no matter what contractual obligations or promises he has made.   If Dish can conduct itself properly through the exercise, Sprint gains confidence that it won't get stiffed in a network hosting deal.  Further, by creating an ally in Dish and growing a relationship, Sprint *may* avoid ending up having to battle Ergen for Tmo, should that ever happen.  Smart move, Sprint. 

Understood I my case I'm already running a 1900mhz grid antenna with 21dbi gain, and cyfre amp and come spring when leave's come on I loss service.That's with a u770 usb device. Everything but the airlink from tower to my antenna is wired. Verizon will not even come to my house to set me up with their fixed system and that's 700mhz.

That is an interesting setup you have there.  But do understand that you are talking about a fixed installation on a mobile wireless network.  That is different from a fixed installation on a fixed wireless network.  The link budgets are calculated differently.  And fixed wireless, like wired broadband, may not be available at some addresses.  However, that does not indicate that if no mobile LTE 1900 is usable, then no fixed TD-LTE 2600 will be usable at that location.

AJ

NV 1.0 is nearing completion. Whatever. This is just a negative platitude. If you're here just to troll, you will lose your privelleges. It's getting to the point that every one of your posts is a Sprint bash. That would make you a troll.

If you don't like Sprint, why do you hang out in Sprint forums? We can help correct your course if you're lost.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

This is a typical Gary Forsee move.  Keep dabbing into everything at the same time but never finish anything.

Pretty much laid it out solid.I hate it when people talk bad about sprint. If you hate them so much, sell your device and pay the ETF. End of story.

• Like 1

That is an interesting setup you have there.  But do understand that you are talking about a fixed installation on a mobile wireless network.  That is different from a fixed installation on a fixed wireless network.  The link budgets are calculated differently.  And fixed wireless, like wired broadband, may not be available at some addresses.  However, that does not indicate that if no mobile LTE 1900 is usable, then no fixed TD-LTE 2600 will be usable at that location.

AJ

True

I have been a firm believer that EBS/BRS are better suited to fixed broadband. In fact I had Sprint broadband on that frequency in the early 2000's. Now granted Sprint had only one fixed broadband antenna in my area to cover 100,000 people. But it was OK, better than DSL which was non-existant at the time and cable which wanted $10,000 to cross a 5 lane highway and cover our 5 story building.

and BTW I'm all for the T-Mobile/Sprint combo as well.

• Like 1

Anyone else curious if the fcc will look at this and think that they cant allow a sprint, tmobile, dish merger and may use this as a reason to block the merger? Edit-i am referring to the supposed sprint buyout of tmobile. Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

I would have no problem whatever to see a Dish/Sprint joint venture taking advantage of EBS/BRS for fixed broadband/OTT video/Internet radio, telematics, etc. Let Sprint/T-Mobile use the more traditional mobile frequencies for mobile broadband.

I hope they're planning to utilize 8x8 MIMO for this. That could offer up to 300 Mbps for each 20 MHz carrier per sector.

Sprint mention 150 Mbps with Sprint Spark.  Not sure how you double that.

Sprint mention 150 Mbps with Sprint Spark. Not sure how you double that.

More MIMO antennas. Not currently possible in something as small as a smartphone. But more easily done in fixed wireless equipment.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Sprint mention 150 Mbps with Sprint Spark. Not sure how you double that.

2x2 MIMO (the current handset limitation) can do around 80mbps, 4x4 MIMO (probably in tablets soon) can do roughly double, and then 8x8 (really reasonable only in fixed modems) should be able to double it again.

I am excited to hear of all of these deals and talks about Sprint partnering and providing access to different providers. These are the kinds of headlines that can keep Sprint in the light and hopefully represent a strong and innovative footprint in the industry.

• Like 1

I would be surprised if it is unlimited though. With the number of ISP's that have gone with monthly caps, I would be surprised if they allowed an all you can eat approach for a wireless solution. But it should be far more generous than Verizon LTE ISP.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Like 100G soft cap clear did before?

I would have no problem whatever to see a Dish/Sprint joint venture taking advantage of EBS/BRS for fixed broadband/OTT video/Internet radio, telematics, etc. Let Sprint/T-Mobile use the more traditional mobile frequencies for mobile broadband.

You mean un-do the clear acquire?

What exactly are Dish's spectrum holdings

Not entirely sure how correct I am but I think they have 6MHz of unpaired spectrum, 700MHz E block 722-728 MHz across something like 95% of markets and 40 MHz of AWS 4 spectrum, paired 2000-2020MHz and 2180-2200MHz. To be honest I got a little lost over exactly how much of it they could use due to possible interference.