Time to pull the trigger on on limited my way plan?

DaQue

I am on the note 2 afew more months I think. Anyone else have trouble keeping old plan with a triband device? If I pulled the trigger on a N5 I was going to do it off contact about June and save some money.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

This is interesting.  We would have to look at other peoples experience with LTE and the tri-band phones to see the correlation, if any, between lack of LTE(Spark) and plans. 

according to sprint you get the one time courtesy of upgrading while on old plan. The next time you upgrade they will try to make you switch unless you purchase outright.. so i am told

They would need to put out a press release of some kind before they make this type of change.

At the very least we would see a leak of internal documentation.

What exactly do you mean by 'according to sprint'? If its from a store or chat rep that means nothing.

But we have to know, do you use tapatalk?

And if so, which version do you use, version 1 or version 2?

Please tell us ! , many times. Thanks!

:D

I'm using Tapatalk 4 on my Nexus 5. And on my iPhone 5 its whatever the newest version is for iPhone.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

according to sprint you get the one time courtesy of upgrading while on old plan. The next time you upgrade they will try to make you switch unless you purchase outright.. so i am told

I do hope you are mistaken. Hopefully in two years, there would be an adjustment to the plans because the My Way plans just don't seem like a good deal to me.

No one currently is being forced to switch unless you do the one up program. There is no time frame until people are forced except for new lines they are supposed to go only on my way, but when people add to data share 1500 plans we just manually type in the soc code for it.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

I am not sure you have a choice.  I just ordered an new LG G2.  When they mailed me the phone, it would not activate.  When I called Sprint, I was told that the computer will not allow activatation of tri-band phones unless you have the new unlimited plan.  I was also told my bill for an individual plan will go up around $7 per month but I haven't gotten the first bill yet to confirm.  My old plan was 450 minutes plus 300 free bonus minutes that they gave a couple of years ago.  The irony is that at most I use 20 minutes a month.

No one currently is being forced to switch unless you do the one up program. There is no time frame until people are forced except for new lines they are supposed to go only on my way, but when people add to data share 1500 plans we just manually type in the soc code for it.

I'm on an Everything Plus Referral Plan, so I have to go through a little extra trouble than most people to keep my plan when upgrading. Recently I tried to upgrade in-store to a Nexus 5, but I was told the store system would flat out not allow them to activate the device without changing to a My Way plan. Customer Care informed me that as long as I purchase the device online, I shouldn't have any trouble keeping my plan.

I went home and ordered the device online, and everything went smoothly. When I got to the shipping screen, there was an option to pick up the device in-store and still pay online, so I went ahead and selected that and paid. When I arrived at the store to pick up the device, they wouldn't release it to me (even though I paid online already) without going through the activation process in-store, which of course was going to change my plan again.

I left the store and called Care again (technically Employee Accounts since that is how your account type is set for EPRP plans) and explained the situation. The rep understood exactly what the issue was, explained to me the process, and promised me that even though the store rep must change your plan to activate the device in their system, National Sales Support can change it back immediately afterward. The phone rep said I could either have the store rep make the call while I was in the store, or I could just call Care again afterward and they would take care of it.

Knowing how clueless store employees can be, I asked the phone rep to arrange a callback with me in an hour. I explained to the store rep to go ahead and change my plan to whatever and that I would have it changed back afterward. Not long after I left the store with the phone, the Care rep called me back and straightened out my plan. All 3 of my lines remain now on an Everything Plus family plan.

Your mileage may vary, but I would recommend for everyone to call Care before upgrading in-person to see if they can do the same thing for you. My understanding is that as long as you upgrade through Sprint.com or Telesales, you won't have any trouble keeping your existing plan. It's only in-person upgrades that have issues with keeping your plan.

Hesse has no issue with inhibiting upgrades with expired plans..  There is plenty industry precedent now as well.  Full upgrades on Everything Data will eventually met an end, unless Mr. Son puts his foot down in support of keeping them or competitive industry pricing adjusts to the point that Everything Data nets them better ARPU on family plans than the newest offerings. 

Jmwaloney i havent put a nexus on errp but ive but other phones recently. Were you at a indirect store? Because a corporate store could keep your plan, if they cant they are idiots or liars.

Ill look up the the rules/info in a bit in case im wrong.

The funny thing was, I called Care first when I was asking about adding a new line to my old Everything plan and upgrading to G2s. They told me that going to a store may result in them changing my plan to the new My Way, especially with going to a 3rd party like Best Buy. I was also told that if I called back, they could change it back to the old plan. When I went to Best Buy to add a line, it went through fine. When I went later on to pick up my G2s, they again activated my phones on my old Everything plan without a single problem.

Jmwaloney i havent put a nexus on errp but ive but other phones recently. Were you at a indirect store? Because a corporate store could keep your plan, if they cant they are idiots or liars.Ill look up the the rules/info in a bit in case im wrong.Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

It was a corporate store. Like I said, I don't think much of the knowledge of store sales staff.

I find this to be true. Lower minutes and a lower bill. But unfortunately I feel like these companies keep these high minute plans to be able to charge more, since no one ever really uses them. IMO.

-Luis

Look, you are not going to get lower minutes and lower bills. You are not going to to get lower bills. You are getting more out of a cell phone and straining the network even more than ever with out using voice. Data consumption is the great cost of a user not voice so why would a carrier give you a break for using less of something that it dosnt cost them anything for you to use while at the same time you are using more of what does cost them money? We use cell phones a lot more than we did 5 years ago prices are going to go up.

Look, you are not going to get lower minutes and lower bills. You are not going to to get lower bills. You are getting more out of a cell phone and straining the network even more than ever with out using voice. Data consumption is the great cost of a user not voice so why would a carrier give you a break for using less of something that it dosnt cost them anything for you to use while at the same time you are using more of what does cost them money? We use cell phones a lot more than we did 5 years ago prices are going to go up.

Thank you for your curt response. I never said that I was going to get that from sprint. Unfortunately sprint kicked me out cause I was roaming too much. So now I have a tmo plan for $30, which BTW has lower minutes and more high speed data ;P

-Luis

Thank you for your curt response. I never said that I was going to get that from sprint. Unfortunately sprint kicked me out cause I was roaming too much. So now I have a tmo plan for $30, which BTW has lower minutes and more high speed data ;P

-Luis

according to tmobile's website the lowest plan they have is 50 a month which only has 500 mb of high speed data and you have to pay for a phone. My comment was more general and has do with people complaining about paying more for cell service while at the same time using more services. More services cost well more.

according to tmobile's website the lowest plan they have is 50 a month which only has 500 mb of high speed data and you have to pay for a phone. My comment was more general and has do with people complaining about paying more for cell service while at the same time using more services. More services cost well more.

Google "T-Mobile $30 plan"; click first result.. he's not lying. It's a prepaid plan, but there's not much difference between T-Mo's prepaid and postpaid plans nowadays. It's a pretty darn good value too- I wish Sprint offered something similar.

Regarding the deemphasis on limited minute plans, I wonder if that is a way to prep the market for data-only VoLTE plans? I'm not sure if networks will have a reliable means of distinguishing between VoIP and other data traffic. I hope they will.

Google "T-Mobile $30 plan"; click first result.. he's not lying. It's a prepaid plan, but there's not much difference between T-Mo's prepaid and postpaid plans nowadays. It's a pretty darn good value too- I wish Sprint offered something similar.

Regarding the deemphasis on limited minute plans, I wonder if that is a way to prep the market for data-only VoLTE plans? I'm not sure if networks will have a reliable means of distinguishing between VoIP and other data traffic. I hope they will.

Found it. Personally I hope they don't. 100 minutes in total a month is extremely inadequate for most consumers. This is a niche offering and the proof is in the fact that no other carrier is moving to match it. But this still distracts from my main point. In order for the carriers to have the incentive to invest in the networks, innovate and deploy new technology they need to be able to earn a return on their investments. Which means more services is going to cost more (why spend billions on deploying 4g if you can't recover the cost of this deployment). It is pretty clear that tmobile is angling to get bought out. the game they are playing is add as many subs as quick as possibly and get bought before our balance sheet goes to hell.

ah OK. Yeah I see what you mean. I'm on a prepaid plan. And I got the nexus so its not like I'm losing out on much money.

You have to Google Tmobile prepaid and it's on the lower left part of the page. For some reason chrome does wanna let me copy the link.

-Luis

Guest mreed112

I am not sure you have a choice.  I just ordered an new LG G2.  When they mailed me the phone, it would not activate.  When I called Sprint, I was told that the computer will not allow activation of tri-band phones unless you have the new unlimited plan.  I was also told my bill for an individual plan will go up around $7 per month but I haven't gotten the first bill yet to confirm.  My old plan was 450 minutes plus 300 free bonus minutes that they gave a couple of years ago.  The irony is that at most I use 20 minutes a month.

I still haven't gotten my first bill on the new plan yet, but I am now thinking it will go up $10.  This is very analogous to the BS $10 Premium Data fee that was added on 3 years ago for 4G WiMax data that was promised in "a couple of months" but never arrived.  I believe the real object of "plan churn" is revenue enhancement for the provider.  Other providers like Comcast simply hike your bill every January.

The 300 Bonus free minutes still show up on the web site as a part of my plan even though there is no point since the new plan has unlimited minutes or in my case 20 per month! Having said all of this, I still believe that Sprint is a pretty good deal for my usage when compared to Verizon and AT&T.  I certainly can't complain about my new LG G2 that I got for FREE!