Shentel / Sprint LTE - (was ntelos - West & N&W Virginia)

marioc21

I wanted to add that the Charleston WV cluster required roaming to use data on October 1. When I went through town at first I could not use data because I normal turn roaming off unless I need it.( I don't want to go through my roaming limit without knowing). Turned on roaming and the data worked. It has been 3 weeks since I have been through Staunton so they may have two different teams testing two different setups. I know the bands they were testing were different. Hopefully nTelos opens more of their LTE network up soon. 

And best of luck in your search.

• Like 1

nTelos LTE is not fully open yet to Sprint customers if Android users are having to go into LTE Only mode to get it. Since iOS will not let you into LTE Only mode, iOS devices will not likely connect until it is fully open.

Using Tapatalk on BlackBerry Z30

I don't have to go into LTE only mode. I don't care enough about it to work that hard to find the signal. I did notice that the Sprint coverage map has service coming down further than it used to however I can get good LTE signal outside of that area.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I am setting were johnnyp and I were yesterday and roaming is on I do not lte... I am going to the sprint store in waynesboro and lte is orange literally near their store I should get lte here and at the sprint store because of its proximity to what the map shows... I need to go to Weyers cave and try there as its solid orange on sprints website

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I just got a iPhone 6s which I have upgraded from a iPhone 5.  I'm in charlottesville and noticed now that I never had a problem with my iPhone 5, that a lot of times I'm always on 1x.  Like with my iPhone 5 I would get some areas of 1x but not that often.  With the iPhone 6s I'm getting 1x all over the place instead of 3g.  You would think with the new iPhone there would be better band support and what not.  I wonder why this is going on.  My prl and phone settings are all up to date too.  Frustrating.

I had to turn off the "Enable LTE" switch to keep my phone from dropping to 1X. My theory on that is the phone is trying to authenticate to nTelos LTE and is failing and goes to 1X after failing authentication  

I had to turn off the "Enable LTE" switch to keep my phone from dropping to 1X. My theory on that is the phone is trying to authenticate to nTelos LTE and is failing and goes to 1X after failing authentication  

Ok good to know, I will turn that off and see if that helps.  They need to get this LTE out asap, waiting forever for it haha.

Latest iOS? Mine updated the sprint revision and firmware under settings/general/about

Yes I'm on iOS 9.02 and I did the prl update so the iPhone is up to date with everything.

Talking to sprint now about this.. Phone finally got tired of trying to connect to lte that it is now just doing 3G instead of lte, then 1x then lte and so on.... She is researching it...

She did a refresh signal on her end and I still have only 3G... She had me turn data roaming and lte off and run a ##update#... Had me turn lte back on now it's doing the lte, 1x, lte issue... She is submitting a ticket to network team... I am suppose to get a follow up on this

She did a refresh signal on her end and I still have only 3G... She had me turn data roaming and lte off and run a ##update#... Had me turn lte back on now it's doing the lte, 1x, lte issue... She is submitting a ticket to network team... I am suppose to get a follow up on this

Followup... LOL

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I agree... I just had issues with the iSight camera not auto focusing and found out there were issues with early iPhone 6 models.. Entered my serial number and its eligible for Apple replacement... So I will be doing that and see if my issues get better

Update: there is an apple authorized repair center in Charlottesville I am taking it there for the iSight issue and having them run a diagnostics on the device to make sure I am not having lte antenna issues

Went to The sprint repair center on electric road, sent by customer service. The reset network settings, restored phone to factory, ran some apple specific diagnostic tool, could not figure out the issue. They ordered a replacement. Asked about the nTelos thing and was told that it is unlikely a network issue as it would affect other manufacturers. Tech found accounts of folks having a similar issue on VZW. Might be an apple issue. The y will only care about it if we complain.

Seems like I picked up some LTE in the Charlottesville/Albemarle County area some time between 9 pm and 1030 pm when I ran into town.

post-26551-0-09971400-1444634818_thumb.png

post-26551-0-81303900-1444634833_thumb.png

post-26551-0-63780300-1444634850_thumb.png

• Like 2

Seems like I picked up some LTE in the Charlottesville/Albemarle County area some time between 9 pm and 1030 pm when I ran into town.

I was able to see two Mnc's when I was on Rt.29  around Barracks Road last night when I searched on my T-Mobile iPhone 6. One was nTelos Communications and the other one was Sprint. I normally have only seen the nTelos Communications one so last night was something new.