Shentel / Sprint LTE - (was ntelos - West & N&W Virginia)

marioc21

Fyi - I haven't seen any hint of LTE in C'ville so far (Sprint M9). Still on EVDO all the time despite LTE/CDMA setting for mobile networks, PRL update, profile update, ##update#, etc.

Sent from my HTC One M9 on Tapatalk

I am in waynesboro now with LTE. I know others have said they are not roaming when on lte but my device still roams. With my phone roaming I have to turn "LTE only" on to connect. If I don't I stay on 3g because my device does not want to roam. My signal is around -75 so it's not like it is a weak signal it just doesn't like to roam. I have been watching my data and it counts as native.

Hopefully I can match some more towers for the map. That way you can go to a live site and test. But that may be a month away I have to build a new PC when I find time.

Edit:Just saw I am on band 41

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gx1to576s34pwio/Screenshot_2015-11-06-22-03-47.png?dl=0

• Like 5

On iPhone the profile is update when apple pushes a software update unless sprint requires it... Then it should prompt you that it needs to and ask you if you want to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in waynesboro now with LTE. I know others have said they are not roaming when on lte but my device still roams. With my phone roaming I have to turn "LTE only" on to connect. If I don't I stay on 3g because my device does not want to roam. My signal is around -75 so it's not like it is a weak signal it just doesn't like to roam. I have been watching my data and it counts as native.

Hopefully I can match some more towers for the map. That way you can go to a live site and test. But that may be a month away I have to build a new PC when I find time.

Edit:Just saw I am on band 41

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gx1to576s34pwio/Screenshot_2015-11-06-22-03-47.png?dl=0

What are speeds like? I don't want to encourage rampant speed testing but I am curious.

What are speeds like? I don't want to encourage rampant speed testing but I am curious.

I don't run speedtest unless I see second carrier band 41 or real slow at night. I was able to stream 720p youtube with no problem.

The coverage is the same as sensorly execpt more lte to the north. I did see plmn 310-190(unsure carrier) in between the towns and I saw 312-190 in charlottesville but it would not connect.

Can't wait for that update to be pushed out.

I don't run speedtest unless I see second carrier band 41 or real slow at night. I was able to stream 720p youtube with no problem.

The coverage is the same as sensorly execpt more lte to the north. I did see plmn 310-190(unsure carrier) in between the towns and I saw 312-190 in charlottesville but it would not connect.

Can't wait for that update to be pushed out.

310-190 is Alaska Telecom. 312-190 is not a valid PLMN.

How does one see that? Engineering screens? (If so, I'll need a reminder how to get to them on my M9 - SCP shortcut doesn't work)

Sent from my HTC One M9 on Tapatalk

Not sure on android, but on an iPhone it would have to be jail broken to see the carrier menu.

I use my T-Mobile iPhone 6 and do a carrier search and can see the nTelos MNC and Sprint MNC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NM - just rediscovered the ##debug# method. I got nothin':

Did you turn lte only on in ##data#? It will not show in SCP because you are not authenticated. Maybe it is a samsung thing (only on *#0011#) or it may be just showing scanning. But in the *#0011# menu Serving cell and signal strength change with known towers on I-79 though.

I'll post this here since it is relevant and really doesn't need to be in the PRL thread:

So I'm in Ntelos land, near Charlottesville, WV (confirmed via SID 4379), and I'm getting 3-5 bars of EVDO. Have to keep turning LTE off because everytime my iPhone 6 tries to connect, it drops to one bar of 1x and goes to no service. Disabling LTE immediately reestablishes 3G. So, at least for me, no LTE.

-Anthony

I'll post this here since it is relevant and really doesn't need to be in the PRL thread:

So I'm in Ntelos land, near Charlottesville, WV (confirmed via SID 4379), and I'm getting 3-5 bars of EVDO. Have to keep turning LTE off because everytime my iPhone 6 tries to connect, it drops to one bar of 1x and goes to no service. Disabling LTE immediately reestablishes 3G. So, at least for me, no LTE.

-Anthony

No Circuit switched fallback [CSFB] is likely the issue, which is an LTE setup issue.  Contact nTelos so they have the option to fix it faster.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

No Circuit switched fallback [CSFB] is likely the issue, which is an LTE setup issue.  Contact nTelos so they have the option to fix it faster.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Ah yes, I forgot the newest iPhones used CSFB. Too used to my old 5S where it didn't require CSFB, and then getting my current 6 Plus where basically everywhere I go there aren't CSFB issues. I most likely won't be contacting nTelos because it is not my home market. I was merely traveling through the area on my way home to Charlotte, NC from Pittsburgh.

Have we come to the conclusion that every tower is having CSFB issues for Sprint customers in the nToelos market? I had this problem the entirety of my time in WV. I only read back in this thread one page (I only frequent a handful of threads on the site) and from the sounds of it people were having to put their devices into LTE Only mode in order to latch onto LTE in these areas.

-Anthony

I was merely traveling through the area on my way home to Charlotte, NC from Pittsburgh.

Charlottesville VA is long out of the way are you sure it's not Charleston WV.

As for the LTE some don't need "lte only" mainly people on galaxy s6 for some reason. nTelos is already rough without those handoff issues so it can be hard to tell.

Hopefully Pittsbugh was not as bad but it depends where you were. But that is a different thread.

Sprints LTE is working great in Charleston WV. I'm pulling 50 down and 15 up everywhere in Charleston on my lg g4. It's the fastest LTE I've ever used. The LTE won't work on most phones. Haven't dropped to 3g since I've gotten the G4 2 weeks ago. I will post screenshots of amazing speed but the image is to big 

• Like 5

Sprints LTE is working great in Charleston WV. I'm pulling 50 down and 15 up everywhere in Charleston on my lg g4. It's the fastest LTE I've ever used. The LTE won't work on most phones. Haven't dropped to 3g since I've gotten the G4 2 weeks ago. I will post screenshots of amazing speed but the image is to big 

Posting pics info:  http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3767-adding-images-to-posts-imgur-links/