Shentel / Sprint LTE - (was ntelos - West & N&W Virginia)

marioc21

This landed on my desktop:

FYI: nTelos Outbound LTE Roaming Service Adds Coverage in Virginia & West Virginia - All Dealers

Customers in Virginia and West Virginia will have access to outbound LTE roaming. An updated PLMN file will be pushed to LTE enabled android devices with USIM cards and LTE enabled Apple devices with CSIM cards each day (including weekends) starting 11/6.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

So what does this mean then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Call the sprint customers service line.

They just verified it said we should be getting alot better service should have 4g lte Nov 20

Really? You're pulling that again? I'm happy for you guys if that turns out to be correct but I very much doubt the accuracy of the information you received.

Sent from my LG G4

• Like 1

The guy on the sprint customer service line 1 888 211 4727 told me there excepted launch date for Roanoke Va is Nov 20 this was at 10 30 am this morning.

And people have been told things like this many times over and 95% of the time the information was not accurate. As we told you before, customer service generally doesn't have access to that kind of information. The update that dkyeager posted earlier today has more credibility based on the kind of details it contains.

Sent from my LG G4

• Like 4

This landed on my desktop:

FYI: nTelos Outbound LTE Roaming Service Adds Coverage in Virginia & West Virginia - All Dealers

Customers in Virginia and West Virginia will have access to outbound LTE roaming. An updated PLMN file will be pushed to LTE enabled android devices with USIM cards and LTE enabled Apple devices with CSIM cards each day (including weekends) starting 11/6.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Does this refer to the seemingly more frequent unannounced/unexplained "service updates" that have happened lately?

Sent from my HTC One M9 on Tapatalk

Make sure you update your PRL first.

Updating your PRL likely won't affect anything. LTE connectivity isn't controlled by the PRL. Updating your profile in this instance may make a difference. However, the towers have to be broadcasting the correct PLMN for anything to work.

Sent from my LG G4

• Like 1

Updating your PRL likely won't affect anything. LTE connectivity isn't controlled by the PRL. Updating your profile in this instance may make a difference. However, the towers have to be broadcasting the correct PLMN for anything to work.

Sent from my LG G4

That's right, my bad. Profile update is needed according to what Dave posted, unless the profile isn't related to PLMN list.

That's right, my bad. Profile update is needed according to what Dave posted, unless the profile isn't related to PLMN list.

I don't think I have seen a reference to a PLMN list before today, but it's quite possible that it is something that could be updated through a profile update.

Sent from my LG G4

The Equivalent PLMN (E-PLMNlist allows a network to provide the UE with a list of PLMN identities. A PLMN is identified by the combination of Mobile Country Code (MCC), and Mobile Network Code (MNC) that the UE should treat as equivalent for the purposes of PLMN selection, cell selection/reselection and handover.

Blindly going by this vague definition, it seems to be something that would be done on the carrier side, unrelated to PRLs or Profiles.

Objectives of a GSM PLMN[edit]

The general objective of a PLMN is to facilitate wireless communication and to interlink the wireless network with the fixed wired network. The PLMN was specified by the European Telecommunications Standard Institute (ETSI) following up with their GSM specification. Even as times changed, the GSM PLMN objectives conceptually remained the same.

• To give access to the GSM network for a mobile subscriber in a country that operates the GSM system.
  • To provide facilities for automatic roaming, locating and updating of mobile subscribers.
  • To provide the subscriber a wide range of services and facilities, both voice and non voice, that are compatible with those offered by existing networks like PSTN and ISDN.

There is also this rather ambiguous bit of data, from Wikipedia.

There is also this rather ambiguous bit of data, from Wikipedia.

Blindly going by this vague definition, it seems to be something that would be done on the carrier side, unrelated to PRLs or Profiles.

The PLMN is broadcast from the carrier/site, but the device has to be configured to recognize the PLMN. In order for Sprint devices to connect to nTelos LTE, either the towers must be updated to also broadcast the Sprint PLMN, or Sprint devices need to be updated to accept the nTelos PLMN.

• Like 3

Plmn list is in the SIM card. It contains a list of plmn that are native and what to roam on. That is why I needed roaming turned on to connect and the galaxy s6 did not. It can be updated OTA so just try ##update#.

I will be in charlottesville tonight so hopefully the note 4 update I got last week will fix things. And just to be safe I will also ##update#.

The PLMN is broadcast from the carrier/site, but the device has to be configured to recognize the PLMN. In order for Sprint devices to connect to nTelos LTE, either the towers must be updated to also broadcast the Sprint PLMN, or Sprint devices need to be updated to accept the nTelos PLMN.

This makes a lot more sense.  Thank you so much for clarifying.

Plmn list is in the SIM card. It contains a list of plmn that are native and what to roam on. That is why I needed roaming turned on to connect and the galaxy s6 did not. It can be updated OTA so just try ##update#.

I will be in charlottesville tonight so hopefully the note 4 update I got last week will fix things. And just to be safe I will also ##update#.

Fyi - I haven't seen any hint of LTE in C'ville so far (Sprint M9). Still on EVDO all the time despite LTE/CDMA setting for mobile networks, PRL update, profile update, ##update#, etc.

Sent from my HTC One M9 on Tapatalk