HD Voice and future handsets

I've been so wrapped up with the LTE deployment and the multiple bands involved, that I haven't heard anything about which recently announced handsets will support HD voice, and when will that be the norm going forward?

If this is in the wrong forum, please feel free to relocated it, mods. 

Perhaps they're gearing up for VoLTE and skipping cdma hd voice much like they skipped dual band handsets for triband (except the new iPhones of course).

If that's the case, then we will be waiting a very long time for HD voice.

I think Sprint will be quiet for awhile until Network Vision phase 1 is completed and once network vision phase 2 has started.

I honestly don't want them to put anything in the press until it's 100% it's time for them to over deliver under promise!!

If I'm not mistaken by end of 2013 we we're suppose to have LTE nationwide on 1900, LTE advance turned on in some markets and had hd voice rolled out as well lol

The old plans were to have CDMA HD Voice and wait a long time for VoLTE.

Maybe SoftBank wants to do this differently and that's why we are at an impasse on this. SoftBank may well want VoLTE instead. I don't know but I could see them wanting VoLTE for Japanese handsets to roam on Sprint here without having to add a CDMA chipset to SoftBank's Japanese phones. This is all speculation mind you.

• Like 2

The old plans were to have CDMA HD Voice and wait a long time for VoLTE.

Maybe SoftBank wants to do this differently and that's why we are at an impasse on this. SoftBank may well want VoLTE instead. I don't know but I could see them wanting VoLTE for Japanese handsets to roam on Sprint here without having to add a CDMA chipset to SoftBank's Japanese phones. This is all speculation mind you.

Make sense with Softbank adding TD lte to all clearwire and sprint sites.

Wouldn't VoLTE require additional equipment and new handsets made to be capable of it? Not to mention that they need to finish their LTE rollout, too..

I think Sprint will be quiet for awhile until Network Vision phase 1 is completed and once network vision phase 2 has started.

I honestly don't want them to put anything in the press until it's 100% it's time for them to over deliver under promise!!

If I'm not mistaken by end of 2013 we we're suppose to have LTE nationwide on 1900, LTE advance turned on in some markets and had hd voice rolled out as well lol

Do you mean to say end of 2014 for nationwide LTE because that is the earliest I can see that happening given the progress of NV and all the delays that are occurring.

Sent from my Motorola Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

Do you mean to say end of 2014 for nationwide LTE because that is the earliest I can see that happening given the progress of NV and all the delays that are occurring.

An exec at sprint said lte 1900 will be deployed by mid 2014. Just going by what they said

Sent from my Motorola Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

Wouldn't VoLTE require additional equipment and new handsets made to be capable of it? Not to mention that they need to finish their LTE rollout, too..

Yes. 

Most of the TD-LTE handsets should be able to support VoLTE, including the G2, I know the SK variants support it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sprint Rep said HD Voice was working in Fort Wayne, IN. Made a call Between two galaxy notes 2 on Sprint network and it sounded really clear. How would you even check if you were on HD call?

Sprint Rep said HD Voice was working in Fort Wayne, IN. Made a call Between two galaxy notes 2 on Sprint network and it sounded really clear. How would you even check if you were on HD call?

While in call, you will have to access the engineering screens to confirm the Service Option in use.

AJ

During the Spark announcement didn't Sprint reconfirm that they're doing HD voice?

I saw something in their press release about hd voice. They made it sound like only spark devices can connect to hd voice. I skimmed through it so I'm not sure

I saw something in their press release about hd voice. They made it sound like only spark devices can connect to hd voice. I skimmed through it so I'm not sure

Nope. They confirmed that HD Voice is still rolling out to users. About 87 Million users are already on HD Voice. They plan to cover the whole network by the middle of 2014. There is also something about 20 Million devices connected to HD Voice by the end of the year.

Am I missing something here? If 87 million subscribers are using HD voice, how are there only 20 millions devices supporting it? Granted, math wasn't my strongest subject..

Am I missing something here? If 87 million subscribers are using HD voice, how are there only 20 millions devices supporting it? Granted, math wasn't my strongest subject..

I am assuming that 87 million POPs are covered with HD voice service, even though not all of them are using HD voice capable devices.

I wonder if I am capable of using it with my Evo 3d. I know whenever I am talking to my wife or whenever I am talking to Sprint customer care, it is clearer than any landline I've ever used. The only time I've ever hated talking on the phone has been with my boss, though. He has an iPhone 4 on AT&T. It is so terrible and I have to strain to even attempt to make out what he says and usually ask him to text me what he says to "remind me" afterwards.

I wonder if I am capable of using it with my Evo 3d.

Highly unlikely.  HD Voice may or may not require CDMA1X Advanced, but it does require the EVRC-NW codec, which was supposedly first included in the EVO LTE.

AJ

Highly unlikely.  HD Voice may or may not require CDMA1X Advanced, but it does require the EVRC-NW codec, which was supposedly first included in the EVO LTE.

AJ

Our buddy Brian says that you need 1X Advanced to get a higher quality codec.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5726/sprint-hd-voice-on-htc-evo-4g-lte-is-evrcnw-1x-advanced

AJ

Our buddy Brian says that you need 1X Advanced to get a higher quality codec.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5726/sprint-hd-voice-on-htc-evo-4g-lte-is-evrcnw-1x-advanced

Then, any idea what devices support that, specifically? Any specs? Anywhere I can dig in the engineering screens of our demo phones to see?

Then, any idea what devices support that, specifically? Any specs? Anywhere I can dig in the engineering screens of our demo phones to see?

I think any phone with 1X Advanced should support it, but I don't know how you'd find which ones besides that. Also, I think you go into 1X engineering screen while on a call to verify that you're using EVRC-NW.