Alcatel-Lucent CEO: Company could disappear

Fraydog

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/alcatel-lucents-combes-company-could-disappear/2013-10-15

Yup, that's real good news for the Network Vision rollout. :(

I've not been a big fan of AlLu all along, but to see the company vaporize altogether would suck, especially with the prospective job losses.

I read this as more of an old fashioned warning to the unions and French government over the current job cuts.

Well, that element is a pain in the arse too, I would submit those people don't exactly have the best track record when it comes to job creation or running an economy, but what do I know?

• Like 1

Well, that element is a pain in the arse too, I would submit those people don't exactly have the best track record when it comes to job creation or running an economy, but what do I know?

Agreed.  Although the company has lost money for quite a few years it still has 15 billion in revenue.  Its "legacy" side may disappear and it may headquarter itself somewhere else other than France but there is no way it will be able to close up shop and liquidate.  Its infrastructure cellular division has to be doing quite well..

The job cuts would really hurt, especially since the folks laid off from jobs on their legacy side likely will not be able to find work in that field anymore.

• Like 1

I've had the impression that their current technology in regards to the cellular equipment that they deploy is a bit dated compared to the competition. I'm sure that doesn't help. The tech industry is fast paced and if you aren't at the forefront, then you are left behind and quickly irrelevant.

• Like 1

I've had the impression that their current technology in regards to the cellular equipment that they deploy is a bit dated compared to the competition. I'm sure that doesn't help. The tech industry is fast paced and if you aren't at the forefront, then you are left behind and quickly irrelevant.

So is NV equipment dated then?

I think I may have been one of the first to start hammering AlLu on here as not having the best implementation of NV. This all started when I did research on all three vendors. What would have happened if NSN had bought Motorola's CDMA and mobile broadband units earlier? Would NSN and not AlLu been the NE vendor? We'll never know.

Alcatel-Lucents gear is weakest and less powerful of the three vendors. Samsung equipment are the best with Ericsson following up about an arms length away with ALU about a car lengths distance behind Ericsson. 

Their equipment is not only older but their capability and performance are worse than the other two vendors.  They've been attempting to sell their equipment at extremely low prices to anyone and everyone (with no biters) for a while now. This is coming from people who work with these equipment and compared them. 

• Like 1

Alcatel-Lucents gear is weakest and less powerful of the three vendors. Samsung equipment are the best with Ericsson following up about an arms length away with ALU about a car lengths distance behind Ericsson. 

Their equipment is not only older but their capability and performance are worse than the other two vendors.  They've been attempting to sell their equipment at extremely low prices to anyone and everyone (with no biters) for a while now. This is coming from people who work with these equipment and compared them. 

I'm still surprised that Samsung's stuff is considered the best. Didn't someone on here say that Sprint was Samsung's first major win? at least outside of maybe Korea.

I'm still surprised that Samsung's stuff is considered the best. Didn't someone on here say that Sprint was Samsung's first major win? at least outside of maybe Korea.

Best equipment and best rollout/installs by far.

I get that, but aren't they relatively new to that business?

No names but a certain guy with three parallel blue dashes on his door told me several times how much loves Samsung equipment over his own and couldn't wait to get back to integrating their equipment again.

• Like 1

No names but a certain guy with three parallel blue dashes on his door told me several times how much loves Samsung equipment over his own and couldn't wait to get back to integrating their equipment again.

Samsung Networks has been in the business since the late 1980s. However, it entered Europe and the Americas fairly recently. It had restricted itself to Asia prior to that...

That's kinda crazy.

Samsung Networks has been in the business since the late 1980s. However, it entered Europe and the Americas fairly recently. It had restricted itself to Asia prior to that...

Why did they limit themselves to Asia only?

So outside of hearsay, which everyone repeats... Where is there any proof ALU equipment is subpar?

Ditto. I'd be interested in seeing some empirical data to support this assertion as well.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

That's kinda crazy.

Why did they limit themselves to Asia only?

Nortel locked them out of the Americas, and Lucent kept them out of Europe. After both suffered their fates, Samsung was able to come into the global infrastructure business. It also helped that Samsung devices were becoming very popular, too.

Most of all this is what bothers me, IF what is being said is true... what would that say about Sprint? Choosing a vendor whose equipment is inferior for some of their largest markets: NY, Boston, Philadelphia, DC, Baltimore.

Nortel locked them out of the Americas, and Lucent kept them out of Europe. After both suffered their fates, Samsung was able to come into the global infrastructure business. It also helped that Samsung devices were becoming very popular, too.

How did they get locked out though?

Most of all this is what bothers me, IF what is being said is true... what would that say about Sprint? Choosing a vendor whose equipment is inferior for some of their largest markets: NY, Boston, Philadelphia, DC, Baltimore.

You're forgetting a key point, legacy equipment. Also, I think both Verizon and AT&T use some Alcatel-Lucent IIRC.

I wouldn't say I'm forgetting anything. Sprint crossed vendors for NV. They had no Samsung equipment and now that's a third of their network. I've heard of no issues with Samsung being crossed with ALU legacy hardware. It also appears Sprint had no idea there was the Motorola/Samsung issue until deployment started. Also, I think VZ and T using ALU validates that they aren't second rate.

I wouldn't say I'm forgetting anything. Sprint crossed vendors for NV. They had no Samsung equipment and now that's a third of their network. I've heard of no issues with Samsung being crossed with ALU legacy hardware. It also appears Sprint had no idea there was the Motorola/Samsung issue until deployment started. Also, I think VZ and T using ALU validates that they aren't second rate.

Nevermind.

Edited by Nickel