Craig Moffett is back to his old anti Sprint shenanigans

WiWavelength

Has competition in the wireless industry really boiled down to price alone?

That's what Moffett Research's Craig Moffett believes, and he's crowning T-Mobile US Inc. the clear-cut winner and Sprint Corp. (NYSE: S) the loser...

http://www.lightreading.com/mobile/4g-lte/t-mobile-leads-sprint-suffers-in-pricing-wars/a/d-id/705977?

AJ

That article just kinda makes me go "Wow, Moffett has no idea what he's talking about".

It's also disturbing that he doesn't seem to include his math at all. How can you say "this is the best" without the proof behind it? If we're going on that logic, I can say "nope, Sprint is the best, you're the worst", with no need for evidence.

• Like 7

I don't necessarily disagree with his take as far as a current snapshot goes. Once NV is completed and Sprint has a decent network (especially around Raleigh), the picture might be different. There are lots of people who have switched to MVNOs and pre-paid lately, especially with the Nexus 4 being so cheap.

• Like 2

That article just kinda makes me go "Wow, Moffett has no idea what he's talking about".

It's also disturbing that he doesn't seem to include his math at all. How can you say "this is the best" without the proof behind it? If we're going on that logic, I can say "nope, Sprint is the best, you're the worst", with no need for evidence.

Don't forget the whole "price is the bottom line now" thing. If Price is the bottom line now, then AT&T and Verizon would be tanking, hard. 

I agree.  Moffett's statement has no proof of how he came to that conclusion. Heck, I would get better information from the palm reader down the street.

Moffett has been wrong on on just about everything he has ever said about sprint. Why papers still choose to listen to him is beyond me. However, one point he makes is valid sprint's network is not as good as tmobile in most places and is either the same cost or cost more depending on the plan customers need. I don't agree that price is king yet and probably won't be anytime soon but sprint needs to be competing on price until NV is further along.

I'd love to be of sunny disposition here but what I want to say, I don't feel that I can.

Moffett did make one horribly wrong conclusion. If price is the only consideration, why is Verizon, the most expensive carrier in the US, adding customers like gangbusters? Even AT&T is net positive on adds (barely, if you take tablets out of the equation.)

My gut feeling here is that T-Mobile is taking customers from Sprint. :(

• Like 1

Given the very short article, I don't think we can dive too much into it.

He does have a point though - Sprint's network is a lot weaker in many areas than T-Mobile and T-Mobile's rates are a lot lower.

T-Mobile has been very aggressive lately.  Frankly, that's good for consumers, as the market remains competitive.

Sprint needs to be aggressive with LTE rollout.

• Like 1

Wouldn't it make much more sense to say that Sprint is bleeding subs due to network at this point? That seems to be the largest problem at this juncture. Sprint is already making large changes to sales and marketing staffs, so maybe network people are next.

I don't think it's just price as seen by AT&T and Verizon still adding. I think there's more subtle factors at play. But as we all know, you can't count on clowns like Moffett to get that.

Sprint's "appearance" of price competitiveness revolves around clear and easy to understand marketing of the One Up program and the new plans. I see the "$15 off if you join + 24/retail" to be apt for misinterpretation.

I would love to join tmo and save some dough, but there network isnt equal to sprint. Not in coverage, data, or roaming access for me. Moffett's approach to analysis is that of a cockroach searching for crumbs. ITS NOT NEWS.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

• Like 1

However, one point he makes is valid sprint's network is not as good as tmobile in most places...

He does have a point though - Sprint's network is a lot weaker in many areas than T-Mobile and T-Mobile's rates are a lot lower.

Ah, but did you see the asterisk?

*The T-Mobile "data" network is superior only in select cities where W-CDMA and advanced backhaul are available, not in building, just outside, in a non wooded area.

That is T-Mobile for you!

:P

AJ

• Like 2

You just have to wonder what stock he has in his investment portfolio.  I am sure his opinions match up well with his own interests.

Well I certainly wouldn't expect him or anyone else to have opinions that are contrary to his own interests. However, for all of his constant poo-pooing of Sprint, I'd wager that he's made a nice chunk of change buying S on dips that he's perhaps partially contributed to with his commentaries. I still recall when S tanked hard after he made his bankruptcy prediction/non-prediction for the company. I would be amazed if he didn't add or initiate a position in S when that happened. Anybody that is a serious investor in S should know better than to pay too much attention to what Muppet says.