CNET article on LTE and Sprint NYC plus other areas

sprinturg4

See article on CNET explaining the slow process of LTE rollout.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57595175-94/why-sprint-is-taking-its-sweet-time-with-4g-lte/

I can attest that despite 90% of cell sites in San Antonio accepted for LTE, coverage is still hit or miss throughout the metro area,often drops down to 3G, which remains a crawl.  When LTE is strong, it is nice of course.

• Like 1

Not sure if this has been posted yet:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57595175-94/why-sprint-is-taking-its-sweet-time-with-4g-lte/

Not that I agree with the catchy headline... it has some truth - but the article is actually pretty good.  

Why Sprint is taking its sweet time with 4G LTE

The partial rollout of LTE in New York is emblematic of the issues Sprint has had with its deployment. CNET gets behind the delay.

I am here in new York and T-Mobile is already eating their lunch. Azzi is the king of excuses, we are practically in august and sprint stuck in a 31%. Sprint problem is they still have the old boys running their network. As far I concerned everyone except Hesse should be let go. T-Mobile is bragging on deployment and fast speeds.

In Sprint defense... I have to believe (assume) they have been waiting to figure out what was going to to happen with ClearWire, Dish, SoftBank, etc...  Which had to have eaten up a bunch of valuable time.  BUT they didn't want to repeat WiMax issues.... thoughts?  

I'd rather have a slower deploy than one that needs to be redone in 12-18 months! 

• Like 1

T-Mobile's deployment reminds me of China's buildings. They complete them in a few months but then they fall apart because they got rushed. Sprint is building to last.

Fair enough, but that doesn't matter to the average customer. They care about if their lte phone can be used now, no 3 months down the road. The tmobile CEO is getting in my nerve with his bragging. I wanna see the 800 MHz band fully in new york because that will be the difference. Anyways there is a clear site in 116 street and park avenue, that site operate together with a new sprint network vision site. I believe that is TD LTE live.

Good article. Obviously, there are a number of reasons for the delay. However, Sprint was too optimistic in its ability to upgrade its network as projected. The question will be can they get things right sized before any significant contract customers can leave. Specifically, there are likely a large number of iPhone 4S customers whose contracts end beginning this October,

• Like 1

Man, the debbie downer reactions from existing Sprint users is not a good sign.  New Sprint is going to have a hard time turning around perceptions even if they perform well after turning on 800/2500.  Could take years to turn around perceptions.

Man, the debbie downer reactions from existing Sprint users is not a good sign. New Sprint is going to have a hard time turning around perceptions even if they perform well after turning on 800/2500. Could take years to turn around perceptions.

It is going to be a long road to turn around the image. The only positive I ever read or hear about Sprint is on here. To be fair I do hear negative about AT&T a good bit but I also hear a lot of positive as well.

It is going to take a lot of new sites, good plans, advertise, advertise and advertise those enhancements to shake the stigma.

• Like 2

It is going to be a long road to turn around the image. The only positive I ever read or hear about Sprint is on here. To be fair I do hear negative about AT&T a good bit but I also hear a lot of positive as well.

It is going to take a lot of new sites, good plans, advertise, advertise and advertise those enhancements to shake the stigma.

Maybe they should change the Sprint name?  New Sprint may not be enough to convince many it's now a different company.

• Like 1

I wasn't posting this to "beat-up" sprint -- I actually thought it helped in answering some things a little.  AT&T for years was horrible due to the iPhone being so popular.  It has taken AT&T a couple years to build a great hspa/lte system.  

Now TMO yeah the CEO is cool and I agree its hard to keep hearing how fast TMO has been working... BUT for me TMO is a non issue since my county is only edge if you are lucky!  

I'm long on Sprint.  

Maybe they should change the Sprint name?  New Sprint may not be enough to convince many it's now a different company.

Yes, that has been decided.  The new name will be a portmanteau of Sprint-SoftBank-Clearwire:  Spankwire.  The new web site domain is already set up.  Go ahead and try it.

AJ

• Like 10

Sprint should've changed their name after the Softbank deal a few weeks ago to get rid of the stigma associated with the Sprint name

Well as everyone knows it took years to build the Titanic but hours to sink it... same goes for a good cell system.  

like you Digiblur (at least I assume based on your other posts) I am very confident SoftBank has a plan and can execute it with precision! 

Well as everyone knows it took years to build the Titanic but hours to sink it... same goes for a good cell system.

like you Digiblur (at least I assume based on your other posts) I am very confident SoftBank has a plan and can execute it with precision!

Sprint didn't want to do it previously, probably due to funds, but that seems a bit different now. Let's see if Softbank is the catalyst to get it done and actually give the big 2 a run for their money. VZW used to be worse in my area than Sprint but they put it in high gear and pulled ahead and are neck and neck with AT&T. Can Sprint do the same or even get close?

Yes, that has been decided.  The new name will be a portmanteau of Sprint-SoftBank-Clearwire:  Spankwire.  The new web site domain is already set up.  Go ahead and try it.

AJ

It's hard not to laugh. You shouldn't recommend that link to the unknowing though. Some folks are on their company computers.

Sprint didn't want to do it previously, probably due to funds, but that seems a bit different now. Let's see if Softbank is the catalyst to get it done and actually give the big 2 a run for their money. VZW used to be worse in my area than Sprint but they put it in high gear and pulled ahead and are neck and neck with AT&T. Can Sprint do the same or even get close?

I think most of Sprint's money for network upgrades disappeared after the Nextel fiasco, iPhone commitment deal, and staying too long with plans with only $10/month for unlimited data.

Sprint should've changed their name after the Softbank deal a few weeks ago to get rid of the stigma associated with the Sprint name

Okay, based on the many negative comments in the CNET article, Sprint has put together a focus group to consider a new name.  Instead of Sprint, what do you think of the following potential names?  Hobble?  Crawl?  Or Usain Bolt?

AJ

• Like 1

Okay, based on the many negative comments in the CNET article, Sprint has put together a focus group to consider a new name.  Instead of Sprint, what do you think of the following potential names?  Hobble?  Crawl?  Or Usain Bolt?

AJ

The name of their new owner: Softbank Mobile

The name of their new owner: Softbank Mobile

Absolutely not.  No one in the US knows what in the heck a "SoftBank" is.  It is a weak name overall, and a terrible name for a mobile operator.

AJ

• Like 4

Absolutely not.  No one in the US knows what in the heck a "SoftBank" is.  It is a weak name overall, and a terrible name for a mobile operator.

AJ

At this point, it's better to have a name with no history in the USA than the stigma and negative history of the "Sprint" brand.

• Like 1