I have a question about how my device (Galaxy Note II) decides what network to connect to. When connected to 3G, obviously it doesn't constantly scan for 4G at all times. I've noticed a few posts on S4GRU mention a half-hour scanning period. Does this mean that conceivably the device could unsuccessfully scan for 4G at 4:00 pm, and then you enter a 4G area at 4:01 pm, but the device won't switch to 4G until 4:30? I feel like I'm misunderstanding, since this doesn't make sense.

Thanks.

Not really.. It's one of those unknowns. I believe on the latest update in the note2 though that the next LTE scan timer was lowered to 5. Is it 5 minutes? Not sure. What's the LTE available file for? Why does the phone track the 1x basestation IDs where it picked up LTE. Does it scan more often in those areas where it learned where LTE was? Maybe.

One of those assumption things since we don't have the baseband code to look over.

I have a question about how my device (Galaxy Note II) decides what network to connect to. When connected to 3G, obviously it doesn't constantly scan for 4G at all times. I've noticed a few posts on S4GRU mention a half-hour scanning period. Does this mean that conceivably the device could unsuccessfully scan for 4G at 4:00 pm, and then you enter a 4G area at 4:01 pm, but the device won't switch to 4G until 4:30? I feel like I'm misunderstanding, since this doesn't make sense.

Thanks.

Good question, but next time try to refer to each respective cellular system with their proper name and not the generic 3g and 4g labels. Don't want AJ to go on a tirade if it can be avoided.

Not really.. It's one of those unknowns. I believe on the latest update in the note2 though that the next LTE scan timer was lowered to 5. Is it 5 minutes? Not sure. What's the LTE available file for? Why does the phone track the 1x basestation IDs where it picked up LTE. Does it scan more often in those areas where it learned where LTE was? Maybe.

One of those assumption things since we don't have the baseband code to look over.

Notice digiblur's use of LTE and 1x instead of 4g and 3g.

• Like 2

On my Stock GS3, it'd take around 5-15 minutes on average to connect to LTE.  This is without toggling anything.  When I'm on an AOSP-based ROM, I usually get it within 5 minutes.  I want to say it's in the RIL, rather than the baseband, since the baseband doesn't change going from Touchwiz to AOSP.

i know that once you know your MSL number and press ##DATA# on the number pad, it directs you to data programming. if you want to edit, you need your MSL number and there are some apps that will get you the number. if you have the access to it then you go to BSR, then TIMER MENU. and choose NEXT LTE SCAN TIMER and i think lowest is now 1 minute. i set mine to 1. 

i know that once you know your MSL number and press ##DATA# on the number pad, it directs you to data programming. if you want to edit, you need your MSL number and there are some apps that will get you the number. if you have the access to it then you go to BSR, then TIMER MENU. and choose NEXT LTE SCAN TIMER and i think lowest is now 1 minute. i set mine to 1. 

I have done this as well and I believe it has made a difference as I pick up LTE very quickly in areas now without having to toggle airplane.

Seems like it's more complicated than scanning once every "x' minutes... Which I guess is a good thing because hopefully its more intelligent than that.

Thanks, I also set mine to 1, I'm going to eventually go to a LTE area and see how long it takes to connect. Hopefully this won't hurt my battery too badly.

By default the nextLTEScan timer is set to 5, so I assume that the current software on the Note II scans once every five minutes, if in a new area.

My understanding is (and I may be way off), your phone is converging battery power by not scanning for LTE all the time. However if it finds LTE, it stores data about the connection for future and faster connects.

For example, and again this is just a guess, it scans every 15 minutes. This time, it gets lucky and finds a LTE signal and connects. Once it connects, it takes information from the tower (site I'D or something) and stores it in a table along with the 1x information about that tower. Then, in the future, if your phone connects to that tower's 1x, it knows that in the past there was LTE at that location, and scans quicker to see if it can get LTE.

Maybe this is why when you go to a new area, it takes forever to get LTE (without toggling anything), but once you find LTE, it's much quicker on future connects.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 2

My understanding is (and I may be way off), your phone is converging battery power by not scanning for LTE all the time. However if it finds LTE, it stores data about the connection for future and faster connects.

For example, and again this is just a guess, it scans every 15 minutes. This time, it gets lucky and finds a LTE signal and connects. Once it connects, it takes information from the tower (site I'D or something) and stores it in a table along with the 1x information about that tower. Then, in the future, if your phone connects to that tower's 1x, it knows that in the past there was LTE at that location, and scans quicker to see if it can get LTE.

Maybe this is why when you go to a new area, it takes forever to get LTE (without toggling anything), but once you find LTE, it's much quicker on future connects.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

i kind of agree with this because same place where you set the TIMER MENU to scan LTE signals, there is LTE data history log and it seems to save all the LTE towers that you have connected to. I have not felt it was taking longer or shorter but the device is definitely keeping a log of which LTE site you have connected to. 

• 3 weeks later...

i kind of agree with this because same place where you set the TIMER MENU to scan LTE signals, there is LTE data history log and it seems to save all the LTE towers that you have connected to. I have not felt it was taking longer or shorter but the device is definitely keeping a log of which LTE site you have connected to.

It's actually logging which 1x site you were connected to while on LTE in that log.

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta