LG G2 -- the first Sprint tri band LTE handset (was "LG Optimus G2")

Thai

On another note...I just pre-ordered my G2 through Sprint directly...Also found a coupon code to get a $50.00 Credit on my next bill! 

success-kid-116342663813_xlarge.png

On another note...I just pre-ordered my G2 through Sprint directly...Also found a coupon code to get a $50.00 Credit on my next bill!

Sweet. I love deals. With the Best Buy deal, my wife and I spent a net of $33 on two G2s. I spent about $55 on two cases on eBay, so with phones and cases, a net of under $100 leaves me feeling pretty good about this upgrade. Unfortunately, I may very well have to buy another Ballistic case for my wife if she doesn't like her Otterbox.

• Like 1

Sweet. I love deals. With the Best Buy deal, my wife and I spent a net of $33 on two G2s. I spent about $55 on two cases on eBay, so with phones and cases, a net of under $100 leaves me feeling pretty good about this upgrade. Unfortunately, I may very well have to buy another Ballistic case for my wife if she doesn't like her Otterbox.

If you're needing to get rid of that Otterbox if your wife doesn't like it, I will pick it up off of you. I got the smart case coming with it, but probably won't like it....

My wife's Otterbox just arrived. It is very slim.

The case or the wife?  ;)

My guess is both.

I got the same. It is lean and mean with very little bulk. 

It is my current favorite case these days.

Mav.  :ninja:

The case or the wife?  ;)

My guess is both.

I got the same. It is lean and mean with very little bulk. 

It is my current favorite case these days.

Mav.  :ninja:

My wife wears a size 0-1, so not much fits into her tiny pockets.

Uh, The Dave, your wife called. She thinks that you are cheating on her with this thread, since you are always here.

AJ

• Like 3

We know that all carriers have to put their logo on the phones they are selling. We have a few insiders that work at BestBuy that has actually held the phone. Where is the placement of the Sprint logos? How big are the logos?

I stumbled on this app in the Google Play Store when I was trying to find something related to the G2.  Basically the Android app is the Sprint LG G2 Training.

When you open up the app and click on the banner to go to the Specifications section, if you scroll down near the bottom to the Specifications list and look at the footnotes it gives us an idea about this triband issue on whether or not Bands 26 and 41 will be available at launch.

Long story short it appears that LTE bands 26 and 41 will be disabled at launch on stock and it appears a future firmware update will enable these two LTE bands. 

However we know that if you have the MSL code you can manually enable Bands 26 and 41. What we still don't know is if you have the MSL code and manual enable the Band 26 and 41 LTE bands in the ##DATA# menu whether that will allow you to truly use the LTE 800 and LTE 2600 at launch.  It should be very interesting to see when people can verify this.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.totmarketing.lg.ls980.training&hl=en

Footnote 1:  Bands 26 and 41 will be available post-launch.

Sprint G2 Training No Triband At Launch.png

• Like 1

We know that all carriers have to put their logo on the phones they are selling. We have a few insiders that work at BestBuy that has actually held the phone. Where is the placement of the Sprint logos? How big are the logos?

VZW is the worst with that.  Sprint typically is the best about not tattooing their phones with logo's.  My Sprint LG Optimus G has no carrier branding on the hardware at all. 

Wonderful, freaking wonderful! A LOT of us bought this phone for the Tri-Band availability. Now, it will be disabled with no guarantee that it will ever be turned on by a Sprint firmware update :(

I wonder if the Sprint Nexus 5 will have the same problem?

Edited by mjnoles1

Sprint never put a logo on the HTC ONE. So not all carriers HAVE to put their logo on the phones.

-Luis

I stumbled on this app in the Google Play Store when I was trying to find something related to the G2.  Basically the Android app is the Sprint LG G2 Training.

When you open up the app and click on the banner to go to the Specifications section, if you scroll down near the bottom to the Specifications list and look at the footnotes it gives us an idea about this triband issue on whether or not Bands 26 and 41 will be available at launch.

Long story short it appears that LTE bands 26 and 41 will be disabled at launch on stock and it appears a future firmware update will enable these two LTE bands. 

However we know that if you have the MSL code you can manually enable Bands 26 and 41. What we still don't know is if you have the MSL code and manual enable the Band 26 and 41 LTE bands in the ##DATA# menu whether that will allow you to truly use the LTE 800 and LTE 2600 at launch.  It should be very interesting to see when people can verify this.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.totmarketing.lg.ls980.training&hl=en

Well that is disappointing. Hopefully you will be able to enable it with the MSL otherwise I'm canceling my pre-order.

Speaking of cases, why has there never been a case (that I know of) that actually helps dissipate heat away from the phone? Most all cases only seem to insulate phones, making heat more of an issue. I'd love to have something like an Otterbox that also acts as a heatsink, pulling heat away from the phone and dissipates it around the body of the case. It would help increase phone longevity. For example, lithium batteries hate heat; the cooler they stay, the longer they last.

/rant

• Like 1

Newer Samsung Sprint phones (S4, Note 2, Note 3, Ativ S Neo) also do without external carrier branding.

Newer Samsung Sprint phones (S4, Note 2, Note 3, Ativ S Neo) also do without external carrier branding.

Ok, ok. I guess I am just used to the old Sprint phones lol....As I am still using the Samsung Epic 4g.

I hope the LG G2 stays with the other newer Sprint phone with NO Sprint logos on the phone.

With the above being said, I think the bigger issue is now this phone WILL NOT launch with Tri-Band and who knows if it will ever be activated by Sprint.

I wonder if the Nexus 5 Sprint version will have the same issue

Wonderful, freaking wonderful! A LOT of us bought this phone for the Tri-Band availability. Now, it will be disabled with no guarantee that it will ever be turned on by a Sprint firmware update :(

I wonder if the Sprint Nexus 5 will have the same problem?

What part of "bands 26 and 41 will be available post launch" did you not understand?

Sent from my Motorola Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

Well that is disappointing. Hopefully you will be able to enable it with the MSL otherwise I'm canceling my pre-order.

Please above post.

No Sprint logo on the phone. One LG one below the volume on the back and one on below the screen on the front. I'm going to work now is my day off I will make sure of this. I didn't fully pay attention to all the logo placement.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

What part of "bands 26 and 41 will be available post launch" did you not understand?

This part:

"and it appears a future firmware update will enable these two LTE bands."

That is not words of certainty.

FYI, S4GRU will not allow complaints or rants in this thread.  If you want to discuss reasons why certain LTE bands may be disabled, that is fine.  But this thread will not be a soapbox for dismay or anger.

AJ

• Like 1

How is LG with updating to newer android versions? From a quick Web search it doesn't look promising. I have Samsung and I have been spoiled with expecting to get the latest android updates. I'm surprised no reviews seem to point this problem out.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

This part:

"and it appears a future firmware update will enable these two LTE bands."

That is not words of certainty.

You sound like a troublemaker. I am just the messenger trying to help the community out. Take it for what it is worth. Make your decision on your own.

• Like 2

Not a troublemaker just a realist. I am not blaming you at all, you are not a part of Sprint. You asked what part of.........I do not understand and I just pointed out the facts.

To the person above that stated that if does not have Tri-Band that he will cancel his order, the is a problem, as I do not believe we can cancel the order. I do not know how it works if we return it, if we get are upgrade ability back as if we never attempted to obtain the G2 or even if we return the G2 that out upgrade will still be seen as being used.

Not a troublemaker just a realist. I am not blaming you at all, you are not a part of Sprint. You asked what part of.........I do not understand and I just pointed out the facts.

To the person above that stated that if does not have Tri-Band that he will cancel his order, the is a problem, as I do not believe we can cancel the order. I do not know how it works if we return it, if we get are upgrade ability back as if we never attempted to obtain the G2 or even if we return the G2 that out upgrade will still be seen as being used.

You can cancel preorders. Sprint hasnt charged your card yet until it is shipped. Also you are allowed one exchange to another device within the first 14 days. However you will have to pay restocking fee on the first device.