LG G2 -- the first Sprint tri band LTE handset (was "LG Optimus G2")

Thai

Anyone know the out right price? Or a rough estimate? Looking to get this phone and get rid of my loved note 2.... It will be missed but i want tri-band, also on the band selection stuff can I make it try to get 800mhz then if no signal go to 1900mhz then if available signal 2500mhz? Thanks, looking forward to getting the g2 and doing my first unboxing/review with it.

I know other carriers have retail price listed between $575 to $600

Sent from my Motorola Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

We now know why ericdabbs is so overly impatient about the LG G2 November release date and tri band LTE.  He was just spotted already waiting outside a Sprint Store...

AJ

• Like 4

All of this is rumor and speculation at this point. Internal Debug screens with disabled options mean very little in the real world. It is well known that production devices always have these debug apps installed, and many times they are incomplete, filled with out-of-date references, and otherwise not meant for the average user. Many times the options that are included in these screens also have no effect. In some cases, regardless of the option you choose, the network will override anything you select in that screen as well.

IF tri-band is disabled out of the box, there must be a technical reason for it. Sprint has never disabled a feature of a device out of the box if there isn't a technical reason (unlike other carriers that love to do this). Sprint has launched devices with capabilities the network has not had in the past (still are), this is no different.

Disclaimer... I do not have any inside knowledge beyond this thread about the LG G2 (yet)...

Perhaps there is an issue with tri-band handoffs like the Note II has with 800SMR voice... or something along those lines. It may not adversely affect every customer, but the only way to ensure the best network experience for those that are affected is to disable it until a resolution is found. That may mean reducing capability temporarily in the meantime for everyone else. They can't support multiple software versions and capabilities in the wild at the same time depending on where people live, it isn't feasible. The only officially supported software is the newest release. Having separate software for the device at the same time complicates triage and technical support immensely. Unless both the user and technician are extremely knowledgeable about it, it will be impossible to work out smoothly (this NEVER happens in the real world, anyone that has ever worked tech support will attest to this).

• Like 1

All of this is rumor and speculation at this point. Internal Debug screens with disabled options mean very little in the real world. It is well known that production devices always have these debug apps installed, and many times they are incomplete, filled with out-of-date references, and otherwise not meant for the average user. Many times the options that are included in these screens also have no effect. In some cases, regardless of the option you choose, the network will override anything you select in that screen as well.

IF tri-band is disabled out of the box, there must be a technical reason for it. Sprint has never disabled a feature of a device out of the box if there isn't a technical reason (unlike other carriers that love to do this). Sprint has launched devices with capabilities the network has not had in the past (still are), this is no different.

Disclaimer... I do not have any inside knowledge beyond this thread about the LG G2 (yet)...

Perhaps there is an issue with tri-band handoffs like the Note II has with 800SMR voice... or something along those lines. It may not adversely affect every customer, but the only way to ensure the best network experience for those that are affected is to disable it until a resolution is found. That may mean reducing capability temporarily in the meantime for everyone else. They can't support multiple software versions and capabilities in the wild at the same time depending on where people live, it isn't feasible. The only officially supported software is the newest release. Having separate software for the device at the same time complicates triage and technical support immensely. Unless both the user and technician are extremely knowledgeable about it, it will be impossible to work out smoothly (this NEVER happens in the real world, anyone that has ever worked tech support will attest to this).

I guess my only poke in this balloon is why did the triband LTE hotspots have all LTE bands enabled by default instead of requiring a future firmware update to enable all LTE bands to work especially if the LTE 2600 handoff issues existed?  I understand that triband hotspots will not have as big of a customer base but still a technical issue is still an issue and Sprint should not have been allowing even triband hotspot users to connect to LTE 2600.

I mean I understand phones are easier to upgrade firmware OTA so it would be no big deal but I am sure triband LTE hotspots can have the firmware upgraded via USB port on a computer. 

• Like 1

Lte hotspots might not need to "hand off" as much as a phone since they may not be moving as much when they are in use. Just saying ... maybe.

Jim, Sent from my Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

I guess my only poke in this balloon is why...

Keep pacing, ericdabbs, keep pacing...

AJ

• Like 2

Lte hotspots might not need to "hand off" as much as a phone since they may not be moving as much when they are in use. Just saying ... maybe.

Jim, Sent from my Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

Good point.  That I can see as a good reason to have it disabled by default if hand off issues were that bad but that doesn't mean that folks couldn't use triband hotspots to hand off from LTE 2600 to another.   I mean that sure as hell didn't stop Robert from using his hotspot to hand off between LTE 2600 tower to the next on his trips to Denver.

I mean I understand phones are easier to upgrade firmware OTA so it would be no big deal but I am sure triband LTE hotspots can have the firmware upgraded via USB port on a computer. 

I believe all the hotspots released within the last couple years are able to automatically update firmware via their web management page.

The clear spot and tri-fi devices can, I would expect the newer ones as well.

I am hungry walking back and forth.  Need some more food.

Yeah, after those Hot Pockets, this is the inevitable result...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPcG-ZOV-hY

AJ

• Like 1

You should stop slandering Hot Pockets, they are wonderful when you take into account what they are.

"Yeah, I'm glad I ate that."  Take it up with Jim Gaffigan...

AJ

• Like 1

"Yeah, I'm glad I ate that."  Take it up with Jim Gaffigan...

AJ

I would if I could, AJ. I always enjoy eating Hot Pockets, although the ones I like seem be getting phased out.  :( 

• Like 1

I heard they are making the new ihot pocket , its a smart hot pocket ..... Still taste like a hot pocket aka cardboard but you get gps , wifi , and LTE in select markets , and you still get the same raging diarrhea .... Hot pocketttt!!!!

Pre order page is up.  Thank goodness it is $199 on 2 year contract that is available in black and white.   Looks like Nov 8th is the confirmed release date.

http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop/phone_details.jsp?ensembleId=LGLS980KIT&flow=AAL&isDeeplinked=true

Pre-order: Order online today, we'll charge your card for your phone and we'll do our best to get it to you before others get a glimpse on Friday, November 8. Ordering more than just this phone? Please complete your pre-order package checkout and come back to order additional items. How pre-order works.

If the 11/8 launch date is true that is very disappointing.  I have no idea why Sprint would need to have 1 month of preorders.  We will have to see.  At this point it is starting to get a bit ridiculous especially when the Nexus 5 could be released at the same time.

Ludicrous.

Anyone else notice that the "coverage for this device" is showing WiMAX rather than LTE? Oops!

did you also notice that it claims that Wifi isn't supported.  So much fail Sprint....so much fail.

Pre order page is up. Thank goodness it is $199 on 2 year contract that is available in black and white. Looks like Nov 8th is the confirmed release date.

http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop/phone_details.jsp?ensembleId=LGLS980KIT&flow=AAL&isDeeplinked=true

Pre-order: Order online today, we'll charge your card for your phone and we'll do our best to get it to you before others get a glimpse on Friday, November 8. Ordering more than just this phone? Please complete your pre-order package checkout and come back to order additional items. How pre-order works.

Oh man. Very disappointed that it's delayed that much. Hopefully we'll see what the nexus is about prior to using our upgrade up, though. If 4.3 is released onto the S3 sometime soon it may hold me off until then.

Another positive is that more LTE 2600 will be live by that time. ;-)