Lte carrier comparison

I have tested AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, &T-Mobile's Lte networks and have compiled the following. Keep in mind these tests are not entirely scientific and only provide a basic overview of actual network performance at best. Tests were performed for 5 minute Intervals at morning, lunch, 5 o clock rush, &sundown. I covered 7 miles in my testing sessions and avoided testing outsides the intended coverage area of the site. I believe each carrier had at least 3 Lte sites a piece in my test strip.

#1 AT&T's 10x10 is far less loaded in my area than that of VZW. An average signal strength of -79 dBm, 41 Mbps downlink 17 Mbps uplink, average latency 73 ms. Indoor performance was phenomenal, signal strength remains consistent throughout. For now AT&T takes the cake.

#2 Sprint operates a 5x5 mhz network and is not complete of course, however I did my testing in an area with several consecutive live LTe sites. An average signal strength of -84 dBm, 14mbps downlink 7mbps uplink, average latency 81ms. Indoor performance varies greatly depending on the exterior material of the building. Only once however did I revert to 3G.

#3 T-Mobile is far from complete yet I am able to use any LTe they have available. I had an average signal of -93 dBm, 23mbps down 9mbps up with an impressive 60 ms average latency. Most impressive with outdoor usage ping times were as low as 37ms however indoors T-Mobile has the most squeamish LTe experience out of any of the national providers.

#4 Verizon wireless, the touted LTe king lacks in every department except for coverage;of which is plentiful compared to any other current network. Vzw average signal was -87 dBm, 11mbps down 3 Mbps up with an average latency of 98 ms. Indoor outdoor coverage is virtually ubiquitous from my experiences.

I look forward to duplicating this test in 6 months.

Results will be different in every market.

Also since this is posted the general section I'll clarify on my ranking system. The scale is based simply on performance, I am in no way suggesting AT&T is the #1 choice for your personal wireless provider.

Testing was performed in Bixby OK.

-Will

• Like 6

It's rather funny my coworker at work has Verizon with his iPhone 5 and he averages around 1Mbps on it while me being on 3G with Sprint gets anywhere from 1-2Mbps, he is looking to Sprint soon Verizon is too taxed in my area it seems.

• Like 1

I've tested the top 3 carriers in my area. Sprint's still rolling out LTE so there's some places where signal isn't the best.

At&t is ridiculously quick. My cousin just upgraded from the S2 on AT&T to the S4 and he now has LTE signal everywhere. He's been pulling an average of 5MB/s nearly everywhere he's been, even indoors is above 30 mbs. I am incredibly impressed with their rollout here in Jacksonville but my cousin used up half of his monthly data in less than 3 days from all the tests. This is the reason I'm still with Sprint. I don't have to worry about going over and average sprint LTE here is about 6mbps down. Rarely get above 20 unless I'm less than - 85dBm.

• Like 2

I've tested the top 3 carriers in my area. Sprint's still rolling out LTE so there's some places where signal isn't the best.

At&t is ridiculously quick. My cousin just upgraded from the S2 on AT&T to the S4 and he now has LTE signal everywhere. He's been pulling an average of 5MB/s nearly everywhere he's been, even indoors is above 30 mbs. I am incredibly impressed with their rollout here in Jacksonville but my cousin used up half of his monthly data in less than 3 days from all the tests. This is the reason I'm still with Sprint. I don't have to worry about going over and average sprint LTE here is about 6mbps down. Rarely get above 20 unless I'm less than - 85dBm.

Agreed.. I love their speeds, but whats the point if you're going to use it up in <a week?

I just joined AT&T and by dar, their LTE speeds are wicked fast. I am extremely happy with their service but I wish i had unlimited but I am not a heavy data user so I dont worry about going over my 3GB data limit. Sprint won't have the fastest LTE speeds but I am pretty sure they will be successful once their new network is completely rolled out across the country.

Rarely get above 20 unless I'm less than - 85dBm.

You mean greater than -85 dBm, which is already a very strong RSRP.

AJ

Att uses there own fiber so they do not need to wait for other venders

Att uses there own fiber so they do not need to wait for other venders

Not entirely correct.  There currently is NO AT&T site around me that uses AT&T Fiber for backhaul. They probably use AT&T for backhaul when it happens to be available, but that is not as common as you may think.  AT&T, nor anybody else, has fiber running into every city, town or village.

AT&T uses CenturyLink and Windstream fiber in my area.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 1