Dish bidding $2 billion for LightSquared Spectrum

marioc21

So Charlie Ergen is still wheeling and dealing for more spectrum.  

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-05-20/ergen-said-to-bid-2-billion-for-lightsquared-wireless-spectrum.html?cmpid=yhoo

Is this a plan B for when Sprint approves the SoftBank deal?

• Like 1

So Charlie Ergen is still wheeling and dealing for more spectrum.  

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-05-20/ergen-said-to-bid-2-billion-for-lightsquared-wireless-spectrum.html?cmpid=yhoo

Is this a plan B for when Sprint approves the SoftBank deal?

This is more like Plan C. Sprint acquisition is Plan B. Clearwire acquisition is Plan A.

So at the end of the day, what for? It was determined to cause interference in terrestrial uses and there was talk but no action that ever came out of a spectrum sharing agreement with the govt for other frequencies. Would they use this for satellite communications?

So at the end of the day, what for? It was determined to cause interference in terrestrial uses and there was talk but no action that ever came out of a spectrum sharing agreement with the govt for other frequencies. Would they use this for satellite communications?

Lightsquared are approved for further testing, I believe the last I read they are going to swap spectrum and/or share it with NOAA. In turn they get a little less mhz but should be able to continue on and survive bankruptcy.

Sprint will take his plan D away but might throw him a bone with the Clearwire network and EBS leases. Count on it.

All we can count on is you banging that drum lol. I guess you can say I told you so if it happens.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

All we can count on is you banging that drum lol. I guess you can say I told you so if it happens.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

It makes much more sense than anything else that I have seen proposed.

It makes much more sense than anything else that I have seen proposed.

I just do not think Dish is in this for Clearwire's network. It was pretty obvious from their press conference that they want to hit the millions of households who do not have access to highspeed internet above 6Mbps. Clearwire was just the cheapest option to force Sprint into adding them to their Network Vision. Maybe if they got Tmobile's network and the surplus EBS.

I think their current plan is to buy as much spectrum as they can, then buyout DT's shares for 20 Billion.  Ergen knows he is not going to get Clearwire, and I am sure he feels like it is still an outside shot in getting Sprint. 

I just do not think Dish is in this for Clearwire's network. It was pretty obvious from their press conference that they want to hit the millions of households who do not have access to highspeed internet above 6Mbps. Clearwire was just the cheapest option to force Sprint into adding them to their Network Vision. Maybe if they got Tmobile's network and the surplus EBS.

I think their current plan is to buy as much spectrum as they can, then buyout DT's shares for 20 Billion.  Ergen knows he is not going to get Clearwire, and I am sure he feels like it is still an outside shot in getting Sprint. 

He's not getting Clearwire and he's not getting Sprint. He does not want Sprint, he wants some concessions out of Sprint/Softbank. All of this bid activity is just that, to make himself annoying enough that he gets some going away swag.

Hesse has made it no secret that he wants to merge with T-Mobile. At 96M customers he believes that he can compete with the big 2. I believe he's still lacking lower frequency spectrum, even with the SMR spectrum. One solution is to help the rural operators deploy lower 700Mhz Band A as well as SMR on their networks, then team up with them to bid on channel 51 in the 600MHz auction. A contiguous 12x12 block will be just what the doctor ordered for the combined T-Mobile/Sprint combo.

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 1