Samsung Galaxy S4 [L720 Single Band] User Thread

z250kid

Thats awesome news! just have to wait now for use with domestic sims hopefully won't be to long now

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Not going to happen.

This message brought to you in part by Sprint and the letters GS and the number 4

A few S4 owners in that XDA thread have managed to get AT&T, Net10, and T-Mobile SIMs to work, including HSPA+. YMMV

I've followed the steps and got it working with tmobile pretty damn sweet although no lte just hspa+

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

Fortunately T-Mobile's HSPA+ tends to be about as fast if not faster than Sprint's LTE, and there's little downside to having to force WCDMA-only mode since UMTS also carries voice traffic. Hopefully autoprime or another member there puts together a nice write-up for how to get domestic SIM's to work for quick reference.

The only negative to being limited to HSPA+ is that the pings are all over the map and generally higher than with LTE (which with Sprint have always been in my experience between 45-60ms), making VoIP (which is almost a necessity with the $30 prepaid plan), which needs pings to stay under 100ms, less reliable. For most everything else it should be more than adequate.

Im trying to get it to work with metropcs so I can put my demo line on there but so far nothing. Im pretty sure it because metro doesnt support sprint or verizon non iPhone 5's but theres gotta be a way

Im trying to get it to work with metropcs so I can put my demo line on there but so far nothing. Im pretty sure it because metro doesnt support sprint or verizon non iPhone 5's but theres gotta be a way

MetroPCS GSM, I assume? I didn't realize until you brought them up that their individual plans are $10 less than T-Mobile for the exact same thing, which is interesting. I don't understand why T-Mo doesn't just fold them into their prepaid unit. Anyway, it's using the same network so it definitely should be doable.

I fixed lag problem by disabling the animator settings under developer options.  But the keyboard lag is so annoying.  click on the message to type it comes up but its white takes 2 seconds then shows up!  I wish sprint got the Google edition.   The bloatware on this phone is so bad!!!

• 3 weeks later...

4 s4's so far, and this current one is in an activation loop after working fine for a month...And i try taking it off my account with a dummy,phone and put it back, now it won't let me add this one back on saying it isn't a sprint phone....and can't get a replacement. This device has been the worst samsung phone I've owned. I want my note2 back. Better device

Ok I just got my s4 and I decided to download google voice. Which.is great because I didn't realize that sprint was automatically going to charge me for "premium" voicemail. My question is in the "phone app" it still has the sprint voicemail icon and program as default. Is thwre anyway to change this?

To answer your question. ...if you're asking if by dialing "1", you can be directed to Google Voice....unfortunately that cant be changed.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

On the phone interface, the keypad tab, at the bottom left is the voice mail, that is what I'm referring too...

• 2 weeks later...

For any users who wished that the current S4 would be phased out, and a new one with triband support would come out, YOUR PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED! A device under SPH-L720T has passed through the FCC with Band 25, 26 and 41 LTE support. The original Sprint S4 model was SPH-L720. 

Details are here: 

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=202482&fcc_id=A3LSPHL720T

For any users who wished that the current S4 would be phased out, and a new one with triband support would come out, YOUR PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED! A device under SPH-L720T has passed through the FCC with Band 25, 26 and 41 LTE support. The original Sprint S4 model was SPH-L720. 

Details are here: 

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=202482&fcc_id=A3LSPHL720T

Yep.  S4GRU has already published an article on the new tri band LTE variant.  Damn, we are fast...

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-356-teaser-samsung-galaxy-s4-2-3/

AJ

• Like 4

So is it safe to say that there may be a tri band Galaxy note 3?

The reality depends on if the Note 3 that is currently sold has the radios to support triband LTE. Most likely, the answer is no. It it was a yes, then Samsung would need to file Class II Permissive Changes. Otherwise we would need a new device. I expect the latter to be true, if Samsung/Sprint decide to release a triband Note 3.

• Like 1

So is it safe to say that there may be a tri band Galaxy note 3?

There is a chance...

AJ

• Like 2

How to update the S4 to 4.3: 

Get file from Google OTA servers: http://t.co/tC0XTZema9

Move file to External SD card storage. 

Turn phone off.

Hold vol up, home button, power button until Samsung logo appears, release buttons. 
Once in recovery, with the vol up/down button move to Update from External Storage, or whatever, hit power button to select
Find your file by moving with vol keys, press power button to select file. 
Sit back and relax. it takes about 10 minutes or so to install. 

Enjoy.

PSA: Remember that your system will rebuild its caches and such, so don't complain about hot phone or bad battery life until the ROM has settled in for 24 hours. Your "Media" server will run like crazy if you have a lot of pictures or a big SD card like I have. 

• Like 1

Where did you find that at?

From XDA and that's the link directly from the Google OTA servers, so the file is legit and current.  I am running this on my phone and have had no issues. It's the actual file that Sprint would push to your phone at some point.