Samsung Galaxy S4 [L720 Single Band] User Thread

z250kid

FYI... Best Buy has moved up S4 pricing to today. Upgrades and new can be had today; no need to wait until Black Friday. Only thing I would suggest is calling your local stores and check before you go.

Don't do it! Wait for Triband S4 model.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I just read on Android Police that Sprint is rolling out an update to fix sleep mode issues. I haven't noticed any issues with sleeping on my S4, but if you have you may want to check for the update. I haven't gotten it yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't quite find the Spark phone that meets what I want (in order preference)...

- Must be Spark capable

- about 5-6"  (Mega way too big, Note3 doesn't have Spark, Mini too small)

- SD slot

- Snapdragon 800

- Removable battery preferred

I saw that Sprint just announced a Spark capable GS4 so may go with it even though it doesn't appear to have Snap800, or does it.

Any other Spark phones expected within next month in range I'm looking for?

No.  We have reached the end of the 2013 flagship handset cycle.   The 2014 cycle will not pick up in earnest until roughly March-June.

AJ

Can't quite find the Spark phone that meets what I want (in order preference)...

- Must be Spark capable

- SD slot

- Snapdragon 800

I saw that Sprint just announced a Spark capable GS4 so may go with it even though it doesn't appear to have Snap800, or does it.

I don't know

- Must be Spark capable

- SD slot

- Snapdragon 800

It most likely has the Snapdragon 800 chip in it, it's the only chip right now getting the tri-band LTE for Sprint to my knowledge.  The S4 Spark sounds like your phone, until the S5 comes out, which will definitely have Tri-band Spark.

^Thanks, that would be great if it had Snap800.   Now my dilemma is that I was going to give my GS3 to a relative when traveling but may not be able to get Spark GS4 in time.   May buy another phone in meantime and return within 15 day policy if a solid date for GS4 comes out.  Any other ideas?

Edited by TyrellCorpse

It most likely has the Snapdragon 800 chip in it, it's the only chip right now getting the tri-band LTE for Sprint to my knowledge.  The S4 Spark sounds like your phone, until the S5 comes out, which will definitely have Tri-band Spark.

No. Explain the S4 Mini and Mega which has S400s and the Htc One Max which has a S600. 

• 2 weeks later...

2 questions. When the battery is fully charged, I get asked to unplug the cable. Is this to avoid battery "memory" issues?

No, the days of Nicad batteries is long gone. This is just a reminder to save the half a watt that your charger is pulling.

• Like 1

Has anyone had to do an Advanced exchange for another S4? I have had 8 now..this last one is now unable to keep the screen off, it keeps turning back on. Anyone with similar issues

Edit: The charging port some how shorted out. It was fixed, but WIFI has no connectivity on the 2.4GHZ unless you have line of sight with the router. I hope no one else is having this many issues, and it is just a fluke in the system.

Hey guys I am wondering if one of you can help me with something I observed on a friends GS4.  It seems that the slightest of drops will cause the phone to turn off.  I am talking about sliding off the couch and falling about a foot to the ground.  One time it restart when the phone was set down too quickly on a desk.

It appears that the battery is seated properly and the device is always capable of turning right back on without fidgeting with it.  Any ideas?

Hey guys I am wondering if one of you can help me with something I observed on a friends GS4. It seems that the slightest of drops will cause the phone to turn off. I am talking about sliding off the couch and falling about a foot to the ground. One time it restart when the phone was set down too quickly on a desk.

It appears that the battery is seated properly and the device is always capable of turning right back on without fidgeting with it. Any ideas?

I had this happening too. For me you could just tap the back and it'd restart. Take it to a Sprint repair center and have them send you a refurbished one as replacement. I did that and this refurbished one is great, doesn't do that like my original S4. No idea why it's happening, for me it did it with different batteries so it must be internal.

I had this happening too. For me you could just tap the back and it'd restart. Take it to a Sprint repair center and have them send you a refurbished one as replacement. I did that and this refurbished one is great, doesn't do that like my original S4. No idea why it's happening, for me it did it with different batteries so it must be internal.

Thanks Mark, I am going to pass that recommendation along.  Kind of sucks at this point since they have only had the phone for a little over a month now lol.  Seems like defects are always found after the return period is over lol.

with my limited knowledge.. bare with me... but why would you want to get the Triband version vs. this.. if the 4g network isn't even finished yet?

Simple, tri band will get 800LTE and normal mono band will only get 1900LTE. 800LTE goes further into buildings and such increasing it's signal and speed everywhere. Despite the 2600 mumbo-jumbo, 800LTE will be the biggest improvement most will experience when it's finally on and usable. That outweighs the SVLTE IMO.

Simple, tri band will get 800LTE and normal mono band will only get 1900LTE. 800LTE goes further into buildings and such increasing it's signal and speed everywhere. Despite the 2600 mumbo-jumbo, 800LTE will be the biggest improvement most will experience when it's finally on and usable. That outweighs the SVLTE IMO.

Isn't 800 LTE 5x5 LTE like the 1900 ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Now that the Sprint HTC One has received its 4.4 update to Kit Kat...anyone know when we single band S4 owners can expect it?  I was thinking that in order to not diminish the S5's appeal at its unveling later this month, Samsung may decide to wait to give the S4 4.4 until after the S5 is publicly available in March or April.  I dunno..just a thought.  Anyone heard anything?  

I don't know anything about what date we'll see the update, but over at XDA they are starting to see RDFs posted for the S4.  This means that there are builds in testing by Sprint from Samsung.  This, however, could last days, weeks, months, it really is unknown.  It is good that we are seeing them at all though. My guess is that we'll see it in a couple weeks.

That said, in the past they have not withheld software before the unveiling of the next phone.  I've had the S2 (E4GT), S3 and now S4.  Whatever version of Android we were always waiting on came before the next phone version if it was close (ie, RDFs posted and builds being tested).  So I don't believe the theory that they're strategically waiting to release software to boost sales.  Remember that is extremely rare for people to update to every iteration of the phone the way that contract pricing works (and is still the king despite the new loaner plans by the carriers).  Especially for the S4, since that's their latest flagship.  I'm not saying you're the only one thinking of this, many people always predict this is why software is not released, when in fact they are full of bugs.  I try to test every leaked firmware for our Sprint models possible.  Unfortunately that hasn't happened for the S4 like the S3 or Epic 4G Touch.

Here's the link to check on latest RDF builds: http://device.sprintpcs.com/Samsung/SPH-L720-Chameleon/latest

It works the best in IE for some reason, but there's a string and then a build number tucked in there, as of writing this, it is L720VPUFNAE

• Like 1

This is why im ditching samsung.  Nexus here i come

They all have their trade offs.  enjoy the sealed battery, no SD card, and lesser camera quality.  for me, those are worth sticking it out with samsung.  There's nothing magical with these android upgrades anymore, not like the days of yore where an update meant a new maps version and feature. Most features have become decoupled from the OS itself, in stand alone apps.  The software optimizations generally don't affect phones with too much power like the S4.  So all in all, 4.3 or 4.4.2, its all about the same.  however, I am wanting for better/native MAP support through bluetooth in 4.4 :)  Sammy has always baked it in, but its half assed.

They all have their trade offs. enjoy the sealed battery, no SD card, and lesser camera quality. for me, those are worth sticking it out with samsung. There's nothing magical with these android upgrades anymore, not like the days of yore where an update meant a new maps version and feature. Most features have become decoupled from the OS itself, in stand alone apps. The software optimizations generally don't affect phones with too much power like the S4. So all in all, 4.3 or 4.4.2, its all about the same. however, I am wanting for better/native MAP support through bluetooth in 4.4 :) Sammy has always baked it in, but its half assed.