Samsung Galaxy S4 [L720 Single Band] User Thread

z250kid

Wow that sucks. Why so long?

Remember that 90% of users have no idea what version they run. So the servers spread it out to reduce the load and watch for issues.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I am having wifi issued after I installed update today. Everything works except when I try to play video...very weird. Anyone heard of a fix or work a round.

I am having wifi issued after I installed update today. Everything works except when I try to play video...very weird. Anyone heard of a fix or work a round.

Like YouTube videos?

I had that issue for a while too yesterday morning, I think it's a server side issue for YouTube. Mine works fine now.

Like YouTube videos?

I had that issue for a while too yesterday morning, I think it's a server side issue for YouTube. Mine works fine now.

Yes...Also tried a couple videos through chrome and no dice.

Okay, if you guys have the 4.3 update and are perhaps in a 1x800 region, could you please take note of the call audio quality on phone calls?  I'm hearing that it sounds tinny and pretty bad.  I'm going to give it a while before I think its my speaker blown.  Not sure why it would do this, but we JUST had our network upgraded to 1x800 everywhere at the same time as the 4.3 update, so I'm curious to see what you guys are experiencing in other areas, with and without 1x800 on 4.3 

Ok so I hadn't read much about Knox since it wasn't on the S4 before but now that my phone downloaded the OTA I'm curious: Since this adds Knox, would it be beneficial to root the phone before applying the update to 4.3?  Or will the flag be triggered whether I root before or after the update?  I'm not sure if I'd ever need to root, but I'd like to know if it would be better to root before updating just in case.  Thanks.

Ok so I hadn't read much about Knox since it wasn't on the S4 before but now that my phone downloaded the OTA I'm curious: Since this adds Knox, would it be beneficial to root the phone before applying the update to 4.3? Or will the flag be triggered whether I root before or after the update? I'm not sure if I'd ever need to root, but I'd like to know if it would be better to root before updating just in case. Thanks.

Head over to XDA Developers for a question like that. The phone has always had Knox, this isn't new. Just updated. I know there's a big debate going on over there about root and Knox. I don't think it matters to root with knox installed as long as you don't activate knox first.

I have no desire to root this phone at this time. In the past I have with all my others, but honestly the S4 doesn't require it.....for me. I don't tether anymore, which is all I used it for.

Okay, if you guys have the 4.3 update and are perhaps in a 1x800 region, could you please take note of the call audio quality on phone calls? I'm hearing that it sounds tinny and pretty bad. I'm going to give it a while before I think its my speaker blown. Not sure why it would do this, but we JUST had our network upgraded to 1x800 everywhere at the same time as the 4.3 update, so I'm curious to see what you guys are experiencing in other areas, with and without 1x800 on 4.3

I have verified 1x800 on a few different calls today and haven't noticed a difference. This is in Indianapolis/Samsung market. I can't stand the auto correct feature. I just had to edit this post.

• Like 1

I have verified 1x800 on a few different calls today and haven't noticed a difference. This is in Indianapolis/Samsung market. I can't stand the auto correct feature. I just had to edit this post.Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Thanks. I'm going in today to get a replacement anyways. I couldn't figure out why my phone keeps rebooting or turning off randomly, either. I finally found that if you tap the back, it'll turn off! Something must be loose in there. Well, good thing I pay for TEP.

Thanks. I'm going in today to get a replacement anyways. I couldn't figure out why my phone keeps rebooting or turning off randomly, either. I finally found that if you tap the back, it'll turn off! Something must be loose in there. Well, good thing I pay for TEP.

I broke my screen and am debating paying $150 for a refurbished or $200 for Samsung just to put new glass in it. Just almost don't see the point in TEP anymore. Just sucks, I have never broke a screen. It is right at the bottom around the home button did it in my car pushed up against my seat belt buckle.

You realize Samsung phones have a 1 year warranty, right?  You're paying $11 per month and a $150 deductible for something that is already covered for free.  The only reason to get TEP is for the things that the warranty doesn't cover (e.g. accidental damage), and it's usually still a rip-off because of the deductible. 

Yup, I'm a sucker. Oh and I can just walk in and 2 days later I have a phone in the mail for free for most issues. You know that you have to ship your phone to Samsung for any repairs without tep? How about water damage? That's a full price phone instead of deductible. Tep seems like a rip off unless you have small kids with grubby slippery hands. And yes she has her own phone now (E4GT in airplane mode) that she can destroy.

I just installed the sacs MFA rom on my s4. Huge improvement in LTE almost a 10dbm gain in some spots. Checked versus stock my and my mdl, and huge difference in fringe areas

I just installed the sacs MFA rom on my s4. Huge improvement in LTE almost a 10dbm gain in some spots. Checked versus stock my and my mdl, and huge difference in fringe areas

I have noticed just on the official 4.3 release that my LTE has improved. Not by -10 dbm but I'd say 3 to 5. I just can't stand the huge 4GLTE symbol.

I have noticed just on the official 4.3 release that my LTE has improved. Not by -10 dbm but I'd say 3 to 5. I just can't stand the huge 4GLTE symbol.

well up to. But it stays on more and connects to a weaker signal. Andv1x signal improved some

Yup, I'm a sucker. Oh and I can just walk in and 2 days later I have a phone in the mail for free for most issues. You know that you have to ship your phone to Samsung for any repairs without tep? How about water damage? That's a full price phone instead of deductible. Tep seems like a rip off unless you have small kids with grubby slippery hands. And yes she has her own phone now (E4GT in airplane mode) that she can destroy.

I did say the only reason to get it is for the things the warranty doesn't cover, so I'm not sure why you're arguing about that (angrily agreeing with me?).  But as for full phone price vs the deductible, you ARE already paying full phone price.  $11/mo for 24 months plus a $150 deductible is $414.  I could buy a like-new S4 for considerably less than that right now.  Like I said, there are certainly reasons to get TEP, but in your case you just paid $414 to not have to wait for Samsung to repair your phone.  I personally would have bought a Nexus, then sold one of the phones once the S4 came back...but that's me.  :/

Yeah, I agree and not angrily. :-) I have a sweet setup with my phones. I get them cheap and have the potential for issues that need tep. The 2 times I declined it, I had issues that required it. Insurance is always a scam for any product, I never get extended warranties on anything else. This is my one weakness.

• Like 1

I just noticed this after the 4.3 update. I swear the hardware is not compatible. Is my phone lying to me?

It's probably ported from the Galaxy S4T (Triband) model which passed through the FCC and will be on sale soon. 

I'm noticing sometimes my S4 takes a LONG time to turn on the screen after I unplug if from the charger. Like over 30 seconds long.  And the green light stays on (as if it's still connected to the charger) until the screen turns on.  This only happens if I turn it on after unplugging it. 

• 2 weeks later...

FYI... Best Buy has moved up S4 pricing to today. Upgrades and new can be had today; no need to wait until Black Friday. Only thing I would suggest is calling your local stores and check before you go.