Samsung Galaxy S4 [L720 Single Band] User Thread

z250kid

"Verizon Galaxy S4 will be twice as fast as the iPhone 5 and HTC ONE"

the Galaxy S4 will be the first device to support the carrier’s Advanced Wireless Services (AWS) spectrum, which will more than double the smartphone’s data speeds. The AWS frequency won’t be supported at launch, however, and will require a software update to enable it.

http://bgr.com/2013/05/28/verizon-galaxy-s4-data-speeds/

I didn't quite understand this, what does AWS have to do with double the data speeds? Are the launching LTE-Advanced?

-Luis

"Verizon Galaxy S4 will be twice as fast as the iPhone 5 and HTC ONE"

the Galaxy S4 will be the first device to support the carrier’s Advanced Wireless Services (AWS) spectrum, which will more than double the smartphone’s data speeds. The AWS frequency won’t be supported at launch, however, and will require a software update to enable it.

http://bgr.com/2013/05/28/verizon-galaxy-s4-data-speeds/

I didn't quite understand this, what does AWS have to do with double the data speeds? Are the launching LTE-Advanced?

-Luis

Because LTE AWS will be unburdened, unlike the rest of the VZW LTE 750 network.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

And in some markets -- New York, Chicago, Boston, etc. -- VZW had existing AWS 2100+1700 MHz spectrum, then was able to acquire SpectrumCo-Cox and swap some AWS with T-Mobile to arrange a final tally of 40 MHz contiguous AWS.  Thus, in those markets, VZW can be the first operator to deploy 20 MHz FDD, double the bandwidth of VZW's current 10 MHz FDD in Upper 700 MHz spectrum.

Last summer, I detailed the top 25 markets before/after the VZW-T-Mobile swap in following spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArY31Mr219-ydFVpWGJJNlFtQlk4M3h5R1c4eklJamc&usp=sharing

AJ

Oh, I guess that makes sense. Would it, in the future, once it has a heavier traffic flow, manage the traffic flow better? (Sorry if that didn't make sense, I tried wording that as best as I could)

-Luis

Oh, I guess that makes sense. Would it, in the future, once it has a heavier traffic flow, manage the traffic flow better? (Sorry if that didn't make sense, I tried wording that as best as I could)

-Luis

Although there is some truth to what I said, I was being facetious. See AJ's response above.

Although there is some truth to what I said, I was being facetious. See AJ's response above.

It made sense so I just took it as is. But I just read AJ's response, now I get it. These are the things they never tell you in those articles.

-Luis

It will be interesting to watch how the truth plays out.  VZW has tens of millions of Droid DNAs, iPhone 5s, and other handsets over the past two years that will have no idea the AWS overlay even exists.  So, having their data traffic excluded could be a definite advantage.  On the other hand, the advantage gained by the Galaxy S4, Lumia 928, and future band 4 devices will be limited to the density and briskness with which VZW rolls out the AWS overlay.  And I am guessing that VZW will cherry pick high traffic sites and take several years to deploy AWS to any great degree.

AJ

It will be interesting to watch how the truth plays out. VZW has tens of millions of Droid DNAs, iPhone 5s, and other handsets over the past two years that will have no idea the AWS overlay even exists. On the other hand, the advantage gained by the Galaxy S4, Lumia 928, and future band 4 devices will be limited to the density and briskness with which VZW rolls out the AWS overlay. And I am guessing that VZW will cherry pick high traffic sites and take several years to deploy AWS to any great degree.

AJ

I purchased a new LTE AWS capable hotspot last March. Unfortunately, there will be no way to tell whether I'm on 750 or AWS, except for possibly performance. I'm hoping to discover some sort of debug screen accessible via laptop. But so far, no dice.

I purchased a new LTE AWS capable hotspot last March. Unfortunately, there will be no way to tell whether I'm on 750 or AWS, except for possibly performance. I'm hoping to discover some sort of debug screen accessible via laptop. But so far, no dice.

No matter.  My prediction:  we will all have hoverboards and holodecks by the time that Robert's home VZW site gets AWS.

:P

AJ

• Like 1

No matter. My prediction: we will all have hoverboards and holodecks by the time that Robert's home VZW site gets AWS.

:P

AJ

It would be stupid for VZW to add a second LTE carrier at my site. It almost never drops below 20Mbps. However, there are places in the city where I go that already could stand another carrier. I found a site in Farmington that dropped below 1Mbps in the evening. VZW 3G was actually faster. :td:

It would be stupid for VZW to add a second LTE carrier at my site. It almost never drops below 20Mbps. However, there are places in the city where I go that already could stand another carrier. I found a site in Farmington that dropped below 1Mbps in the evening. VZW 3G was actually faster. :td:

I turn off my Sprint LTE to use 3G at lunch time since it is faster ;)

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I am wondering if anyone has had experience or know which model has a better receiver the S3 or S4? I am looking to get Sprint service me and my friend are getting on a plan together and he is an a fair coverage area in western PA so I need to know which is the better of the two. I am new here so help me out please!!!!!

The S4 has one of the best (if not the best) RF performances of all Sprint LTE devices. It's right up there with, if not over, the Gn2 which is in itself a beast on RF performances. 

Which one has the WiFi issue I heard about and all the bloatware that is not removable?

Not sure about a wifi issue, but the GS4 has the bloatware, but most of it is removable.  I had an S3 till just last month when I took it swimming, never-the-less, it drowned.  I replaced it, at considerable cost with the S4.  After about an hour or so of deleting this or that, I got all the bloat out of the way.  It's a fine phone. 

Not sure about a wifi issue, but the GS4 has the bloatware, but most of it is removable.  I had an S3 till just last month when I took it swimming, never-the-less, it drowned.  I replaced it, at considerable cost with the S4.  After about an hour or so of deleting this or that, I got all the bloat out of the way.  It's a fine phone. 

Another Albuquerque member!

• 4 weeks later...

Ota update rolling out now.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

Is it a patch for the "Android exploit that affects 90+% of Android handsets"? I say that in quotes as I read that on a few blogs here and there. No internal documents regarding an OTA for the Sprint GS4 that I've seen yet.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Is it a patch for the "Android exploit that affects 90+% of Android handsets"? I say that in quotes as I read that on a few blogs here and there. No internal documents regarding an OTA for the Sprint GS4 that I've seen yet.

Its the apps 2 SD update. Plus a bunch of other things. The file is 357mb. Much, much better now.