Samsung Galaxy S4 [L720 Single Band] User Thread

z250kid

Note if you have music on SD card it will no longer work.

Um, that's not true. You just can't write to the SD card from 3rd party apps. Things like camera, Samsung file manager, Google music can still write to SD. My music on my external SD works fine.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Make sure you reboot after you update.  Many of your apps may not make the transfer until you reboot.  Then it should find the rest. 

my phone didn't find the apps... it seems that it got rid of the apps I didn't use much

I did the Zip file update last week.  The last couple days my phone has frozen while the screen was off.  I hit the power button and wait for 2-3 minutes and the screen will come on but everything is very slow.  I wondering if this is a software issue because of the update or my screen is going out.  Anyone else have this type of issue?

I did the Zip file update last week. The last couple days my phone has frozen while the screen was off. I hit the power button and wait for 2-3 minutes and the screen will come on but everything is very slow. I wondering if this is a software issue because of the update or my screen is going out. Anyone else have this type of issue?

I don't have that issue. This update has been pretty smooth as far as phone speed for me. Three things to try: 1) go into recovery and clear cache partition that way, then reboot. Most times this fixes odd behaviors. 2) download the update zip again, and reapply it. 3) factory reset device as the last resort. Usually cleans out all the cobwebs.

The only real strange bug for me is the choppy notification audio. Bluetooth is also an issue but known and being worked on.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

this update still didn't fix the phone from getting hot.  Just reading emails and searching a couple items on the web on WiFi.  Even when not in a case.  I don't have the insurance but it has one year warranty.

This is why I opted for the S4 over the HTC One last year (and one of the reasons why I have to sadly pass on the Nexus 5). Now I can take my entire music collection (including many FLACs) with me, without relying on mobile data for streaming. Only $120 @ Amazon right now. Plus, I'm still on the Knox-free MF9 firmware, so no SD card issues here. :tu:

I have the update notice on a stock custom rom( won't be updating). And some other friends that have the s4 on sprint have also gotten it, down in the lower parts of the Riverside county.

My wife just got the update last night and it took her a few restarts and a battery pull to get it working right. She also has a Spigen flip case with the view window and she used to be able to answer her phone either by sliding across the window or by hitting the home button. After the update, she can no longer hit the home button to answer but the slide across the window still works. Interestingly, if she has the flip case open, she can answer the phone by hitting the home button, but not with the flip case closed. Any ideas? I think I may do a factory reset on it this weekend since she's gotten 2 updates since she's had the phone but other than that, not sure what else to try.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Two questions/issues:

1) I got an error that basically said "Sim card removed.  Insert sim card and restart device" which triggered a notification with just "No SIM.  Insert SIM."  I rebooted and it remained, then I waited 30 minutes and rebooted while squeezing the phone and it's gone.  I've never removed my SIM or even removed the back of the phone to see the SIM.  I found random stuff on the internet about the issue from people less knowledgeable than those here, so I figured I'd get your insight on it.  I haven't updated yet from the OTA and was wondering if that may have had an effect.  If the issue returns, what do people advise (remove/insert sim, factory reset, tape behind the sim)?

2) Is there any problem with NOT updating?  Until my no SIM error, I haven't had any issues with my phone and don't see the point in risking all the little bugs people are reporting for no new features I'd use.  I've had the OTA reminder for around 2 months, but just ignore it. 

Thanks for any input you can provide. 

I got the update Wed morning. I had a couple of missing apps, and about 3 weren't working. I did a couple of restarts, and finally took the battery out that worked. Other than that, does anyone know how to get rid of the text and missed call notifications that appear on the lockscreen? I had Lockscreen Policy app with 4.3 that prevented that. It doesn't work with 4.4 after many attempts. Same goes for unchecking preview messages option in notification settings. I replaced my lockscreen with Chronus hoping that would resolve the issue, but for some odd reason, when I receive a text or call, my lockscreen defaults back to it's factory lockscreen clock setting. Is there a way to fix this?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j9lve7s3gdenb1u/4ro8Cw5u1A

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...