Sprint or Tmobile?

Wfmets45

I don't know if it's true everywhere, but in the places I go where Tmo is on EDGE or GPRS, Sprint 3G is solid between 1-2.5Mbps. These sites tend to be the least burdened on the Sprint network and can even run just fine on legacy backhaul. Like the one next to my house.

I don't think I've ever had an instance where my Sprint 3G didn't far exceed the performance of Tmo EDGE. And I carry a Tmo Nexus 4 with me every day/everywhere. And there are many Tmo sites here in New Mexico that do have HSPA+ on them in rural areas, but it still runs at 500k to 1.5Mbps, because the backhaul hasn't been upgraded.

However, if I go to Santa Fe or ABQ, Tmo is handily better than Sprint in performance. Well, I should say outdoors. Because Sprint has better indoor coverage. It seems like the number of buildings where I get zero coverage from Tmo inside is 3x more than on Sprint. And that can be frustrating to me. If I'm within 1 mile of a Tmo site, then there is no problem. But beyond a mile or so, indoor coverage in commercial buildings is a plague for Tmo in their current network configuration.

There are so many variables and different needs for each person, it is almost impossible to make recommendations. You need to do a side by side comparison. The differences are many, and the weight you will apply to each difference is very personal. Tmo is a worthy competitor. It just comes down to what is important to you.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

This may just be a rumor but i have heard that the reason for T-Mo's inbuilding issues is having to run AWS at a lower power than PCS. Some users have reported much higher signal strength with PCS HSPA vs AWS on the same Tmo site

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I'm in the EXACT same boat, my contract also ends in November and I'm torn between the two. I live in Queens as well, and I too have an iPhone 4S.

Well it seems like I may be staying with Sprint for another 2 years. I'll be paying $90 with tmo and I already pay $92.12 a month with sprint and Sprint's service i way better than tmo. I read a previous post that people are gettin 8mbps of lte in boston and thats good enought to download apps, stream videos and more. I am not looking for 35 mbps. I dont need all that speed when i can be doing the same thing with 8 mbps down. I believe sprint will also implement LTE away from large cities whereas tmo may not do so until way later.

• Like 2

You guys have all given some great feedback. Little did I expect for this topic to gain so many responses. Looks like come July, I will be signing up for another 2 years with Sprint. I really hope that LTE is launched in NYC by then and that the new iPhone has launched.

Ideally, I would like to have a Sprint HTC One that I can run CDMA on and keep my T-Mobile SIM loaded and switch between CDMA and HSPA under settings as I desire. For 70/month I would have a far superior user experience than anything AT&T and/or Verizon could offer for more.

You know, this got me thinking. Ting recently said on their blog they anticipate (or hope) their HTC One will be SIM unlocked, when they get it in in the next couple weeks. So, you get a Ting SIM unlocked HTC One (full price). Get a T-Mo SIM, with unlimited plan. So for $6/mo to Ting, and $70/mo to T-Mo, what do you get? A phone that gets unlimited voice/text/4g in T-Mo service area, metered voice/text/4g in sprint land, and no-extra-charge voice roaming on Verizon as a last resort. May be an interesting option for some, though the up-front hit will be steep.

To be honest, I'd say go with T-Mobile in November. Order a SIM and use the $30 plan a month before, though, to make sure you'll get coverage where you live/work. Since you'll be off contract, you can join Sprint again at any time.

This may just be a rumor but i have heard that the reason for T-Mo's inbuilding issues is having to run AWS at a lower power than PCS. Some users have reported much higher signal strength with PCS HSPA vs AWS on the same Tmo site

I am going to get a droid DNA to play around with and compare to the nexus 4. I'll let you know AWS vs. PCS T-Mobile.

You guys have all given some great feedback. Little did I expect for this topic to gain so many responses. Looks like come July, I will be signing up for another 2 years with Sprint. I really hope that LTE is launched in NYC by then and that the new iPhone has launched.

Of course it will, and depending on where you are in Queens, you can see LTE now. I can pick it up in Sunnyside and LIC.

As for the new iPhone, unless something changes, Apple will release a new iPhone every year, like clockwork.

I can confirm that T-Mobile PCS vs. AWS is very similar. I just got the droid DNA which only has PCS and signal is about -95dBm to -99dBm and I get 3-6mbit with a ping around 40ms.

The Droid DNA is actually a very very cool phone. Robert, you would probably love it on Verizon.

I would anticipated the NYC will be launched likely by late Summer, sooner if they can kick up production a couple of notches.

Keep in mind that Sprint advertises an average download speed of 6-8Mbps on it's LTE network. That said, I get an average of 10-15Mbps on the LTE network in Kansas City. That is with a nearly completed market. NYC probably won't see that kind of performance for several more months, however I would imagine it will be similar. Differences of course being in-building coverage being more difficult until 800 LTE comes along.

Also see if you qualify for any discounts either through your bank, or your workplace, or any number of things. My current bill is $70.84 a month for unlimited data, text, and 450 minutes, and that includes taxes and everything. Can't beat that anywhere that I'm aware of.

• Like 1

On T-Mobile, I would not use any device that lacks AWS. One, "modernized" PCS W-CDMA is not a complete overlay and likely will not be for a few years. Even then, loads will even out as time goes by -- I would love to know what kind of hashing scheme or load balancing algorithm T-Mobile is using for AWS and PCS W-CDMA. And, two, no AWS means no LTE.

AJ

You were 100% right. T-Mobile HSPA+ on PCS in Boston is spotty and inconsistent. I am not sure if it is the droid DNA, T-Mobile, or what... but there is a mismash of switching between no service, edge, and HSPA+ around the city. It stinks. I am not sure if they didn't add PCS to all of their towers, the coverage is different, or what...

I will say, when I have HSPA+ on PCS downtown, the performance is good. Sucks otherwise. I don't recommend anyone using a PCS band only phone.

I can confirm that T-Mobile PCS vs. AWS is very similar. I just got the droid DNA which only has PCS and signal is about -95dBm to -99dBm and I get 3-6mbit with a ping around 40ms.

The Droid DNA is actually a very very cool phone. Robert, you would probably love it on Verizon.

So that was in my office downtown. Moving around the experience was horrible. Bottom line - don't get a PCS-only device on T-Mobile, even if you are in a T-Mobile refarmed PCS area.

You were 100% right. T-Mobile HSPA+ on PCS in Boston is spotty and inconsistent. I am not sure if it is the droid DNA, T-Mobile, or what... but there is a mismash of switching between no service, edge, and HSPA+ around the city. It stinks. I am not sure if they didn't add PCS to all of their towers, the coverage is different, or what...

As I understand it, PCS W-CDMA will be deployed on most/all sites in T-Mobile's current, typically urban 3G footprint, but the Network Modernization effort will take a couple of years to complete. It is similar to Network Vision in that PCS W-CDMA and AWS LTE are being deployed at the same time. While T-Mobile may not require new backhaul, it does require new panels -- typically, two new panels (one PCS, one AWS?) plus one legacy panel. And erecting those panels is still a major effort.

AJ

• Like 1

Isn't the DNA basically the predecessor to the One? Just curious, honestly.

I guess you could say that the One has the DNA in its DNA.

AJ

They are extremely similar. Having both, I actually preferred the wireless charging feature, water resistance, and larger 5" screen. The soft touch plastic was very well done.

They are extremely similar. Having both, I actually preferred the wireless charging feature, water resistance, and larger 5" screen. The soft touch plastic was very well done.

Is the wireless charging cover separate? If so, it is almost certainly harmful to RF performance. See the paragraph on wireless charging in my Galaxy S4 article:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-343-updated-a-short-time-from-now-in-a-galaxy-not-far-away/

AJ

Is the wireless charging cover separate? If so, it is almost certainly harmful to RF performance. See the paragraph on wireless charging in my Galaxy S4 article:

http://s4gru.com/ind...y-not-far-away/

AJ

Yeah, it's integrated. My nexus 4 also has integrated wireless charger and the coverage on the exact same route has excellent coverage. I think it just has to do with T-Mobile putting one antenna on rooftops and not having a place to add an additional PCS antenna.

Yeah, it's integrated. My nexus 4 also has integrated wireless charger and the coverage on the exact same route has excellent coverage. I think it just has to do with T-Mobile putting one antenna on rooftops and not having a place to add an additional PCS antenna.

Well, if wireless charging capability is integrated rather than part of an optional battery cover, then there is nothing that you can do about it. But I hope that does not become a trend, as RF performance seems to take a hit from inductive charging coils.

AJ

Well, if wireless charging capability is integrated rather than part of an optional battery cover, then there is nothing that you can do about it. But I hope that does not become a trend, as RF performance seems to take a hit from inductive charging coils.

AJ

So I guess that would be "Function over Function"?

Ahh ok. I haven't gotten much time with the DNA, but I do like the One.

Anyone think Sprint will take the same route as Tmobile and and get rid of contracts? That'd be great

Wahington got super pissed at T-Mobile for claiming that their plans were no contract. In fact, when you cancel your service there is no ETF, but you have to pay off the remaining price of your phone, which is very similar to an ETF, or in some cases, will be more than the ETF of carriers that offer contracts.

Wahington got super pissed at T-Mobile for claiming that their plans were no contract. In fact, when you cancel your service there is no ETF, but you have to pay off the remaining price of your phone, which is very similar to an ETF, or in some cases, will be more than the ETF of carriers that offer contracts.

Not sure what's there to be pissed at. If you're financing a phone at 0%, with minimum monthly of $20, you shouldn't expect that you're gonna be getting something for free. Pay more than $20 and your phone will be paid off sooner. Or if you don't like the service, cancel within 14days and return that phone.

Gotta pay for that phone man! :)

Not sure what's there to be pissed at. If you're financing a phone at 0%, with minimum monthly of $20, you shouldn't expect that you're gonna be getting something for free. Pay more than $20 and your phone will be paid off sooner. Or if you don't like the service, cancel within 14days and return that phone.

Gotta pay for that phone man! :)

I understand it, but I guess Washington believes that the average consumer will not understand it, They think that T-Mobile is advertising the price of the phone as 99.99.

I feel like they should get at T-Mobile and AT&T about that 4G moniker used for HSPA+ rather than this. I am tired of hearing AT&T say they have the largest 4G network, when talking about HSPA+, and then using the term 4G interchangeably with their LTE network by calling it the nation's fastest 4G network.