Sprint or Tmobile?

Wfmets45

Not sure what's there to be pissed at. If you're financing a phone at 0%, with minimum monthly of $20, you shouldn't expect that you're gonna be getting something for free. Pay more than $20 and your phone will be paid off sooner. Or if you don't like the service, cancel within 14days and return that phone.

Gotta pay for that phone man! :)

I don't disagree with anything you're saying, but I guess maybe what some might take issue with is the wordplay. They're basically saying that they're not going to put you in a contract with an ETF like their three "evil" bigger brothers. BUT, if you decide to cancel after say 4 months, cough up $400 promptly please but we aren't calling it an "ETF". Now, it's nice that they give you some flexibility in how much you put down and/or how much you pay towards it each month. However, until the phone is paid for, there is a ETF component there, but they just aren't calling it an ETF.

• Like 1

I don't disagree with anything you're saying, but I guess maybe what some might take issue with is the wordplay. They're basically saying that they're not going to put you in a contract with an ETF like their three "evil" bigger brothers. BUT, if you decide to cancel after say 4 months, cough up $400 promptly please but we aren't calling it an "ETF". Now, it's nice that they give you some flexibility in how much you put down and/or how much you pay towards it each month. However, until the phone is paid for, there is a ETF component there, but they just aren't calling it an ETF.

It's not ETF because you can actually turn in your phone after 4 months, and they'll give you fair market value for it that'll go towards the remaining balance. Now if you wanna keep the phone, that's a different story.

Go towards the remaining phone balance. Almost certainly won't totally fulfill it. Whatever is left, that's your ETF. I mean, that's the type of wordplay that I think Paynefanbro may have been talking about. They can spin it, dress it up, do whatever with it, but it's still an ETF. And it's necessary, I understand that; they can't just eat that money, but call a spade a spade. I'm also really curious to see how T-mobile's idea of "fair market value" actually works out.

Apparently Washington's attorney general wasn't impressed with their wordplay either: http://www.eweek.com/networking/t-mobile-accused-by-attorney-general-of-misleading-consumers/

There's no service commitment with T-Mobile's new strategy. That's the big deal. The phone and the service are paid for in different "buckets". T-Mobile offers optional financing (interest free) to help consumers spread the unsubsidized cost of their devices over a maximum 2 year term. Yes, they still owe the balance on their phone if they decide to terminate service. It's just like how you still have to pay the balance on a car loan or mortgage if you decide to stop driving or start renting again...

The functional difference with the new strategy is that consumers who want to bring their own devices can, and they won't owe T-Mobile anything if they stop service. Consumers who don't upgrade very frequently also save money. With the other three carriers, the plans all cost the same no matter what device you have or how you got it. The monthly fees are paying both for service and device subsidies, regardless of each plan holder's use of them.

There's no service commitment with T-Mobile's new strategy. That's the big deal.

I like that statement, because its a two way street. Tmobile is under no obligation to guarantee feature pricing on your rate plan and absolutely no obligation to provide or guarantee you the same coverage at your job, home, or new location. Sprint has released thousands and thousands of contract customers over the years for diminished coverage or network issues, lack of coverage after relocation, and rate plan or feature changes as a result of the t&c's of the contract. Further, lets say you have someone on a family plan who dies- think tmo is going to forgive the subsidy on their phone? Heck, right now theres a thread in this section of s4gru started by a sprint user looking for ways to reduce or wiggle out of his etf. My point is: for all the reasons people are accustomed to being able to exit wireless contracts, this new oh so free and breezy "uncarrier" has outsmarted every single one of them to its benefit, not the users.

• Like 1

I left Sprint in October.

I've been averaging between 12-16mbit down and 1-2mbit up on T-mobile HSPA+ all over Long Island.

I've noticed that the downstream is quite a bit faster in Manhattan, around 18-20mbit

Unlike my previous experience with Sprint, it doesn't really seem to slow down during business hours.

In my personal experience, coverage in NYC and Long Island is about the same as Sprint, maybe a little bit better, maybe a little bit worse in some spots, the difference hasn't been that noticeable.

I've also found WIFI calling to be amazingly useful, the ability to hop on any wifi network and make calls/send texts from your primary number completely eliminates the need for an AirRave. Its like carrying an AirRave in your pocket, WiFi networks are literally everywhere in NYC, especially in indoor areas where your cell signal won't penetrate.

As far as costs, my current t-mobile plan is identical to the cost of my old sprint plan. The only difference being that I decided to pay for insurance when I bought a Galaxy S3. Sprint didn't offer insurance on my old Iphone 4s.

When I finish paying off my device, my plan becomes around $20 cheaper than the competing sprint plan.

Personally, I really like the fact that the subsidy has been separated from the cost of the phone service. The only really difference, IMO between the Value plans and the traditional carrier model is transparency regarding cost.

So long story short, I'll have had really good, really fast, truly unlimited data for almost a year on Long Island before Sprint finally gets LTE rolled out here. It doesn't make sense to continue to pay for a bad service, and torture yourself in the hopes that it'll get better in the future, when there already is a carrier with fast, truly unlimited data in the area.

Edited by gangrene

It doesn't make sense to continue to pay for a bad service, and torture yourself in the hopes that it'll get better in the future, when there already is a carrier with fast, truly unlimited data in the area.

It doesn't make sense for you. We all have different needs and experiences. Tmo makes no sense for someone where I live. And I am also a Tmo customer.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

It doesn't make sense for you. We all have different needs and experiences. Tmo makes no sense for someone where I live. And I am also a Tmo customer.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

OP lives in NYC, so my first-hand feedback would be particularly relevant to him.

I thought I was completely clear about my experience being a regional (NYC & Long Island) one.

Obviously, mileage varies depending on where you live but this thread is very NYC-centric.

Edited by gangrene

I am just curious, if you do not want to keep the phone on Tmobile after 4 months, do you still have to cough up the $400?

I am just curious, if you do not want to keep the phone on Tmobile after 4 months, do you still have to cough up the $400?

No. As milan points out, you can turn the phone back in to T-Mobile and they'll assess the "fair market value" of the phone at that time and credit that towards the remaining balance on the phone. As I said earlier, I'm really curious as to how they'll come up with that "fair market value" figure, but time will tell.

So i'm in the bronx right now with a friend and he was telling me that last week when he was on vacation visiting family in north carolina, he had service with Sprint and his friend who has Tmobile had zero coverage. That sort of made me think twice about actually going to Tmobile. He's thinking of going to Verizon after his contract is up and I am here trying to convince him to stay with Sprint. I am telling him how Sprint is rebuilding their 3G and implementing 4G at the same time. He lives in northern NJ and around his area, 3G is pretty good.

I really hope Sprint can begin upgrading towers in my area soon. In southern Queens their arent that many NV towers

So i'm in the bronx right now with a friend and he was telling me that last week when he was on vacation visiting family in north carolina, he had service with Sprint and his friend who has Tmobile had zero coverage. That sort of made me think twice about actually going to Tmobile. He's thinking of going to Verizon after his contract is up and I am here trying to convince him to stay with Sprint. I am telling him how Sprint is rebuilding their 3G and implementing 4G at the same time. He lives in northern NJ and around his area, 3G is pretty good.

I really hope Sprint can begin upgrading towers in my area soon. In southern Queens their arent that many NV towers

If I traveled a lot, I'd be on Verizon.

Its worth the expense if you do, no other carrier comes anywhere close as far as their rural (LTE) coverage.

Edited by gangrene

No. As milan points out, you can turn the phone back in to T-Mobile and they'll assess the "fair market value" of the phone at that time and credit that towards the remaining balance on the phone. As I said earlier, I'm really curious as to how they'll come up with that "fair market value" figure, but time will tell.

I don't think the "fair market value" will be that great. I would think that Tmobile's goal would be to offer a lower value to discourage people from just leaving like that even though they are suppose to be the "uncarrier".

T-Mobile will give you "about tree fitty."

AJ

So i'm in the bronx right now with a friend and he was telling me that last week when he was on vacation visiting family in north carolina, he had service with Sprint and his friend who has Tmobile had zero coverage. That sort of made me think twice about actually going to Tmobile.

Exactly what keeps me away from Tmo. I suffer through slow 3G at times, but I can always depend on having the ability to talk and text. In any rural area, a Tmo customer runs the risk of being broke down on the side of the road and having to wait for the generosity of a stranger to call roadside assistance.

• Like 2

What, not Fiddy Cent?

Not exactly. T-Mobile will offer...

three_big_bucks_rma.jpg

+

50-cent.jpg

AJ

the Antennalopes!

AJ already did it...

Nextel iDEN does not use COWs. It uses antelope.

AJ

I've decided that i'm going to wait until my contract expired on November 27th 2013 and then depending on how Sprint is doing around that time in my area, i'll decide on whether to stay or go to Tmobile.

• 2 weeks later...

One other caveat I found to the $30 pre-pay T-Mobile plan:

I need a bit more than 100 minutes, so I added $20 to my account. At the end of the month, I have auto-renew so that I don't need to remember to pay again. However, their billing system is not smart enough to take out the $30...instead, it takes out the difference between your credit and the $30. In my case, I had $6 left - enough for 60 minutes of calling. T-Mobile took out $24 for the next month, leaving me with 0 minutes and unable to make calls until the next day.

Their justification is that their system isn't smart enough to realize that the payments you made between monthly renewals is specifically for voice minutes. There's no other reason that you would add funds during the month, though. Of course, they were happy to offer me a list of other plans that were more expensive and offered much less data. The truth is, T-Mobile is only offering this plan to get people on there, and then hoping to up-sell them later on. The customer support they offer to pre-paid customers is pretty lax, too. We just don't make them enough money, I guess.

The take away from all of this is that you need to keep a balance of at least $33 to make sure you have minutes if you use more than 100 during a given billing cycle. Otherwise, you'll end up being told that you don't have any calling time.

• Like 1

One thing people don't seem to understand is that the $30 T-Mobile plan is NATIVE COVERAGE ONLY. I've had two friends get mad at having ZERO service (as in no voice OR data) when leaving a metro area because of this. I can't say I am shocked as they are both pretty dimwitted but for my own personal use I could never consider how the $30 plan due to how often I leave normal metro areas here in Texas. I tried out T-Mobile here and while the speeds were great I simply can't deal with edge when I am barely on the city limits here.

I can see how people who don't leave town would love it though.

One other caveat I found to the $30 pre-pay T-Mobile plan:

I need a bit more than 100 minutes, so I added $20 to my account. At the end of the month, I have auto-renew so that I don't need to remember to pay again. However, their billing system is not smart enough to take out the $30...instead, it takes out the difference between your credit and the $30. In my case, I had $6 left - enough for 60 minutes of calling. T-Mobile took out $24 for the next month, leaving me with 0 minutes and unable to make calls until the next day.

Their justification is that their system isn't smart enough to realize that the payments you made between monthly renewals is specifically for voice minutes. There's no other reason that you would add funds during the month, though. Of course, they were happy to offer me a list of other plans that were more expensive and offered much less data. The truth is, T-Mobile is only offering this plan to get people on there, and then hoping to up-sell them later on. The customer support they offer to pre-paid customers is pretty lax, too. We just don't make them enough money, I guess.

The take away from all of this is that you need to keep a balance of at least $33 to make sure you have minutes if you use more than 100 during a given billing cycle. Otherwise, you'll end up being told that you don't have any calling time.

Tmo must love me. I have the $30 plan, but use only 2-3 minutes per month and 1-2GB of data. Of course, this is just a novelty backup phone for me. I pull out my Nexus 4 just to test the Tmo network, and occasionally for tethering to spare my VZW hotspot when in places of good Tmo coverage (not often).

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD