Lagging network progress costs Sprint CEO nearly 200K shares

http://bit.ly/12em4Fv

by Alyson Raletz Reporter-Kansas City Business Journal

Sprint Nextel Corp. CEO Dan Hesse had to forfeit nearly 200,000 shares of company stock this week because the wireless carrier is behind on its 4G LTE network deployment, according to a Friday filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

• Like 2

I agree, you know they were valid delays if the CEO lost over 1 mil because of it!

We should set up a PayPal relief fund for Dan.

AJ

• Like 1

We should set up a PayPal relief fund for Dan.

AJ

He should set up a PayPal fund for S4GRU, who knows how many customers have switched over or stayed due to the "free" advertising this site provides.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 7

He should set up a PayPal fund for S4GRU...

I would prefer a slush fund for S4GRU.

AJ

• Like 1

He should set up a PayPal fund for S4GRU, who knows how many customers have switched over or stayed due to the "free" advertising this site provides.

I'd say someone "allows" this information to leak.

• Like 1

I'd say someone "allows" this information to leak.

Robert could probably attest to that better than I can, but I would say that they don't allow it. If they allowed it Robert wouldn't have trouble getting the information from sources, which I believe he has in the past.

Tonight I'd call it a slosh fund...

Could we make it a Slash fund? I want to book him as keynote guitarist for S4GRU I/O at the Moscone Center in July.

299px-Slash_live_in_Rome_by_Paride.jpg

AJ

• Like 5

So we were not dreaming. Sprint has done either a bad job of accurate planning or a bad job of implementation. I find it hard to believe they will get back on schedule.

Shentel seems to have it figured out let them implement.

Quite a bit of this is at the mercy of the contractors.

this http://investors.sprint.com/ShowFile.aspx?Output=XML&KeyFile=16005554&Format=XML

sure makes it look like he only lost out on 3,229 and 2,625 shares not anywhere near 200,000 shares.

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/101830/000120919113007335/xslF345X03/doc4.xml

The article linked to the wrong form.

So we were not dreaming. Sprint has done either a bad job of accurate planning or a bad job of implementation. I find it hard to believe they will get back on schedule.

Shentel seems to have it figured out let them implement.

Shentel did a good job because they cover a small geographic area of largely rural communities in which they are very closely connected and familiar. Shentel is a local telecom utility/cable company and also owns a lot of their own fiber directly to their sites. If Sprint was only doing 30 counties in Appalachia, they wouldn't have any issues either.

Don't get me wrong, Shentel is doing a good job. But equating the two is not an apples to apples comparison. I'm sure if Chicago was an affiliate area, you would be congratulating them too for the speed of deployment there. Which is much more impressive than the Shentel deployment, all things considered. If we cherry pick markets, we can make any story we want about the deployment.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

• Like 3

So we were not dreaming. Sprint has done either a bad job of accurate planning or a bad job of implementation.

Really? This is purely an "either...or" proposition? There are no other factors in play?

For better, for worse, we live a results based society. Much of this is driven by fixation on monetary wealth and inability to analyze performance critically instead of just looking simplistically at results.

Thus, like so many CEOs, Dan gets paid way, way too much. And when the results do not meet expectations, he takes a bigger than deserved hit.

AJ

• Like 1

I recall the intial network vision or "project leapfrog" public discussions to have forecast completion of the project in either 2014/15 or 15/16. At that point, the completion date was more a matter of funding than anything else....and the reaction of many was "too little, too late" A year or less later, a new timeline was announced... The positivity of that schedule no doubt assisted Sprint in raising the 4 billion or so in funds for the project. I don't truly believe anyone was being dishonest, but I do believe the original plans took no setbacks into account. It was a "best case scenario/if all the stars align" schedule. If things that sprint is supposed to have in place for the network vendors (like backhaul) isn't on time, you also have to wonder how that impacts the cost agreement between sprint and the 3 vendors.

I do have a lingering fear that many of the rural, ground mount sites that are scheduled to be completed at the very end could end up falling into the trap that some of the very last markets to get 3G fell into years ago.... few crews, anemic concern.... But i've resigned myself to being happy if I get to use LTE here in 2014.

Anyway, stuff like this makes me appreciate Hesse. I don't recall hearing any embellished or lengthy excuses or "not my fault" nonsense in the 2012 reporting last week. That means he accepts responsibility for Sprint. Meanwhile, Gary Forsee is somewhere with his feet up still collecting his check.

• Like 2

This article was a breathe of fresh air! Glad to see one company still know how to but benchmarks in place that are simple and practical. When your the chief the buck stops at you. I am sure Mr.Hesse was not the only one who missed some money. What he is doing is vitally important to getting Sprint back in the big game.