slow 4g in houston

I notice that my 4g was running slow, so I ran a speed test and got .38Mbps Up and 8.44 Down, check my singal and it was RSRP-84 and RSRQ-6 . I have ran test in this same area before and got 34.51 up and 12.50 down back in september. Has anyone esle notice slower 4g speed or are they working on something? test was done at Subway @ 45N and Tidwell tower HO03XC324

post-1810-0-45510200-1358517773_thumb.png

post-1810-0-95623500-1358518446_thumb.png

I notice that my 4g was running slow, so I ran a speed test and got .38Mbps Up and 8.44 Down, check my singal and it was RSRP-84 and RSRQ-6 . I have ran test in this same area before and got 34.51 up and 12.50 down back in september. Has anyone esle notice slower 4g speed or are they working on something? test was done at Subway @ 45N and Tidwell tower HO03XC324

Something is definitely wrong. If it last more than a few hours, call Sprint. Insist on getting a ticket number. That way you know somebody has to go look it at.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

Oh dear, something is definitely wrong, I don't expect LTE speeds to drop to that level for a while, though Verizon might get there in congested areas....

Sure, but how do you first "notice" that LTE was running more slowly than usual, then second run a speed test to confirm? On a smartphone, the difference between 8 Mbps and 30 Mbps should not be noticeable without running a speed test.

AJ

0.38 down vs 34.5 down, I think that would be noticeable. I think he got his downs and ups mixed up that the initial post.

Ah, he did transpose uplink and downlink. I read the message but did not look at the speed test screen cap. Yeah, something is awry with 0.4 Mbps down, 8 Mbps up.

AJ

• Like 1

all of the towers here in mcpherson county kansas are down due to "technical fault" (4g is fine, no voice though)

OF NOTE: THERE WAS A POWER SURGE THE OTHER DAY IN BASICALLY THE WHOLE COUNTY

*Blew out my TV, almost lost my laptop, and my dads phone. *

*workers were building out a new area of power cables a few days ago.......*

HMMMMMM

I must agree with the original poster here. I live in the Houston area also and LTE speeds have noticeably plummeted. During the first few months of launch i'd easily get 12mps up and 2mps down but now Its a good day in hell if I get 2.5mps up. Mind you that I am a realtor so I am all over Houston and the greater areas. Is this drop in speed due to more LTE phones or what? Also has buildout stopped in Houston? As I look at the network map it seems as if total LTE buildout in Houston has ceased since its shown 42% complete for a month now.

I must agree with the original poster here. I live in the Houston area also and LTE speeds have noticeably plummeted. During the first few months of launch i'd easily get 12mps up and 2mps down but now Its a good day in hell if I get 2.5mps up. Mind you that I am a realtor so I am all over Houston and the greater areas. Is this drop in speed due to more LTE phones or what? Also has buildout stopped in Houston? As I look at the network map it seems as if total LTE buildout in Houston has ceased since its shown 42% complete for a month now.

12 up and 2 down? Are you sure you have those in the right order? 99% of the time, your download speed is faster than upload...

So is this poor type of LTE what we should come to expect in Houston?

No, you should expect at least 6-8Mbps. In good coverage areas, we are seeing speeds between 10 and 20Mbps. If you think you are really seeing poor speeds, and you are sure it is not signal/coverage related, you should open a ticket with Sprint. They're not going to fix something if they don't know something is wrong.

12 up and 2 down? Are you sure you have those in the right order? 99% of the time, your download speed is faster than upload...

No, you should expect at least 6-8Mbps. In good coverage areas, we are seeing speeds between 10 and 20Mbps. If you think you are really seeing poor speeds, and you are sure it is not signal/coverage related, you should open a ticket with Sprint. They're not going to fix something if they don't know something is wrong.

Meant 12 down and 2 up

So is this poor type of LTE what we should come to expect in Houston?

I'm sorry, but you're the first person to complain of such widespread LTE issues all over Houston, systemically. I've not heard one peep of this problem other than the problem reported here initially. Which was likely a temporary network problem. Maybe you have a device problem? I had an issue with my Verizon HTC Rezound where it would no longer do MIMO, and my download speeds dropped dramatically. However, upload speeds were not affected.

But also, I have a long memory. And I remember all your anti-Sprint rants since Houston deployment started. So I'm not sure what to read into your latest posts.

Deployment is nowhere near done in Houston and density will get thicker and thicker this year. This will allow for better performance. However, Houston will likely have some of the most saturated LTE 1900, because Sprint does not have a lot of spectrum in this market. There is no additional PCS spectrum to deploy on, really.

LTE 800 and LTE 2600 will be desperately needed for the long term viability of the LTE network in Houston.

Also, if you are in a launched market, have good LTE signal strength and speeds significantly below Sprints advertised 6-8Mbps for more than a couple of days, then you shoukd call Sprint and open up a ticket. Obviously there is a problem.

I had an issue with my Verizon HTC Rezound...

You have talked many times of your state issued VZW work phone. But I never knew that you had a Rezound. I am not sure why I find that so interesting.

AJ

You have talked many times of your state issued VZW work phone. But I never knew that you had a Rezound. I am not sure why I find that so interesting.

AJ

I didn't have the Rezound long. It didn't bounce well. The two temp phones I had after breaking it was a BlackBerry and an Xperia Play. I can't believe our agency owns a Play device.

• Like 1

I'm in Houston but have not had any slow 4g issues. The only time its slow for me is when Im indoors in a weak signal area. Overall the LTE network has really improved in the last month and a half or so as far as signal strength goes, and I'm on LTE the majority of the time.

• Like 1

I didn't have the Rezound long. It didn't bounce well.

You needed a Rebound, not a Rezound.

AJ

• Like 3

Deployment is nowhere near done in Houston and density will get thicker and thicker this year. This will allow for better performance. However, Houston will likely have some of the most saturated LTE 1900, because Sprint does not have a lot of spectrum in this market. There is no additional PCS spectrum to deploy on, really.

LTE 800 and LTE 2600 will be desperately needed for the long term viability of the LTE network in Houston.

Robert,

Thanks for this information as it helps me in my future decision making when my contract is up. Viewing the map right now I see that the progress in Houston is very slow. After 3 weeks we have only moved 2% in build out which is dissappointing when considering we are supposed to be done in just a few more months. What I can attest to and give Sprint credit for is that I do get LTE service pretty much all over Houston, however, it seems to have taken a thump since time has passed. The other thing that ticks me off is that inside coverage is very poor both at my home and at my job. I can get LTE for a short period but it still goes in and out which has a major drain effect on my battery. Nonetheless this is some very good information to know that we don't have much spectrum in my area.

Regarding spectrum in Houston, won't 1x Advanced help as they can configure the carriers for more capacity?

Regarding spectrum in Houston, won't 1x Advanced help as they can configure the carriers for more capacity?

My point is that the 3G networks are overburdened in Houston because the market is spectrum constrained. And also, Sprint cannot add more PCS LTE carriers for the same reason. For long term LTE viability, the Houston market needs SMR and 2600, no doubt.

My point is that the 3G networks are overburdened in Houston because the market is spectrum constrained. And also, Sprint cannot add more PCS LTE carriers for the same reason. For long term LTE viability, the Houston market needs SMR and 2600, no doubt.

Oh, no doubt. I wasn't questioning you there. I experienced the overburdened 3G network in Houston last week. I would assume Houston will be one of the first markets to get some of the 2.6 GHz hotspots.

• Like 1